Anime on STEAM?

• Recently received an e-mail from CrunchyRoll that many anime titles are now available through STEAM. Was this always the case? I paid particular attention to the Fuuka offering here. Don’t get me wrong, i definitely like this trend, however, will be even more enthusiastic when FUNimation releases the Fuuka Limited Edition DVD/ Blu Ray combo.

Sincerely,
    P.J.

• Yeah, over the past 2/3 years Steam has been branching out in more markets. I'm personally not a fan (of Steam in general, really), but I suppose it's nice if you want all your media in one place.

• I think around March, Crunchyroll has been adding their anime on steam

• I used to respect Valve and use Steam a lot, but in the last years, every update they released made it more clear that they just wanted to take a little more money from our pockets. TF2 and CS:GO are now basically just about trading/buying virtual stuff, and the actual FPS part of them being a secondary feature. The summer/winter sales, now revolve around those trading cards to make sure that you don't just buy games, but that you also buy and sell other virtual goods to give them even more money. At some point I felt like this company was "different" from most others, but now they are just like rest, trying to maximize their profits by giving as less as possible while taking as much as they can.

• @the_krock said in Anime on STEAM?:

I used to respect Valve and use Steam a lot, but in the last years, every update they released made it more clear that they just wanted to take a little more money from our pockets. TF2 and CS:GO are now basically just about trading/buying virtual stuff, and the actual FPS part of them being a secondary feature. The summer/winter sales, now revolve around those trading cards to make sure that you don't just buy games, but that you also buy and sell other virtual goods to give them even more money. At some point I felt like this company was "different" from most others, but now they are just like rest, trying to maximize their profits by giving as less as possible while taking as much as they can.

considering Steam was the start of the always online DRM trend, I'd say Valve showed their colors years ago. When Steam first appeared everyone hated it.

• @HOOfan1 You're right about that, without it there probably wouldn't be all those uPlay, Origin and others. But I understand that game developers want to protect their games against piracy so I accept it as part of the game, and I don't mind the "always online" thing, I'm always online anyway. The way I see it, they managed to make people want to buy games instead of pirating them, so it's quite nice for the industry. What I hate about them though is that they now try to make money from every action we do on Steam and in their games with micro-transactions, and with this they are going too far in my opinion.

• It's funny, I just logged into Steam, the first time in a few days, and immediately got a pop-up ad for Crunchyroll content on their. Either a coincidence, or someone knows I posted on here ;) Given the fact I try and cover my arse online, I hope it's the former.

• Wow, didn't think this post would get too much attention.. Thank you all for providing insight. If around 2 - 3 years, then, that recent e-mail just brought it more to the surface for me.

Tibs explains,

"I hope it's the former"

I think they are just undergoing a massive marketing pitch. I received the e-mail, but, if i log into STEAM, i'll probably be hit with the same thing you got. Most likely, no need for concern.

Best,
    P.J.