Production Committee vs one Producer

• So I just read this here article: http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2017/10/25-1/anime-producers-comment-on-impact-of-finance-from-international-streaming

and then this: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/daily-briefs/2017-10-17/netflix-to-produce-30-new-anime-series-for-2018-release/.122823

So with the content platforms (which are noticeably american btw) taking a more heavily influential approach to anime production (looks like its closer to where they are being the sole producers), how will this affect future animes? Do you think they'll become more mainstream? Do you think they'll get "better"? We're all at least aware that the TV shows that Amazon or Netflix make tend to be pretty good, or is it just the ones that get attention, like House of Cards or Man in the High Castle (which was superrrr boring for me)? You think there will be less that will be on broadcast tv? How about being dubbed sooner, if not same day? How about OPs and EDs? Will more anime get actual endings as opposed to those cliff-hangars we all hate?

How about adaptations? You think there'll be more LA adaptations or more anime adaptations or more original content (meaning no source material)?

Questions questions questions.

• @darthrutsula40 said in Production Committee vs one Producer:

how will this affect future animes?

I think we'll see more original anime. Typically the publishers of the source want in on the production committee (there are exceptions) so unless they change I can't see a lot of adaptations without them (not talking about stuff like Urahara were Crunchyroll owns the IP and it's just them and a Chinese company on the production committee).

@darthrutsula40 said in Production Committee vs one Producer:

Do you think they'll become more mainstream?

I don't recall seeing any Amazon shows advertised off Prime Video itself. They'd also require Strike in the US which means either a non-anime fan has to pay an extra $5 a month to watch their originals or they just don't watch them.

Unless Netflix changes I doubt they'll affect much either. In the past I've asked friends and other people I know who aren't really into anime but have watched if they know about _ and the only Netflix "original" people consistently heard of was Seven Deadly Sins with Little Witch and Magi being the only other ones anyone had. No one had heard of Kuromukuro, Ajin, ID-0, etc. One Punch Man and Fate/Stay Night also came up more than any Netflix "original" (note this is an admittedly small sample size and I haven't asked anyone about Neo Yokio but that became a meme so I'm guessing more people have at least heard of it.)

Crunchyroll might get shows bigger within the anime community by pushing them but unless we get more things like Yuri on Ice that pull more mainstream audiences to Crunchyroll I don't see them helping break things into the mainstream.

How about being dubbed sooner, if not same day?

Netflix for sure would be same day in multiple languages. Amazon originals (in Canada at least) seem all over the place if they're dubbed (or even subbed) so I'm less sure on them. Crunchyroll/Funimation probably won't change with a few shows being dubbed same day but mostly about 2-4 weeks behind.

How about OPs and EDs?

Might get more western pop songs as "with opening by Lady Gaga" is more marketable than "with opening by Sumire Uesaka" in the west (half the people probably would have no idea how to even say that). Plus Lantis/PonyCanyon/etc might want to be on the production committee if their artist is doing music for Netflix's anime.

Will more anime get actual endings as opposed to those cliff-hangars we all hate?

If they do original like I said at the top maybe. Western shows set up sequels but aren't popular enough to get them all the time (no idea about Netflix shows though) so I doubt much would change.

• Well, that a lot of questions.

So with the content platforms (which are noticeably american btw) taking a more heavily influential approach to anime production (looks like its closer to where they are being the sole producers), how will this affect future animes?

At the end of the day a production company, or producer, is the in the business of making money. Finance first, quality second. We'll likely see more anime being exclusive to certain platforms, whether that's only a limited exclusivity deal or not will vary on a title by title basis. I also think we can expect less risk taking, cut corners, higher fees for the consumer, and so on. One thing that could likely improve however is how anime development studios are treated. No western company wants to be tied to another company that violates human rights, or at the very least doesn't abide by minimum wage laws. Alternatively, it could go another way. Japanese companies are notorious for not wanting to work with western companies, and potentially seeing certain business arrangements as a big risk.

No, not overnight anyway. Right now animated shows are seen by many as being made for children, that is something that needs to change before the anime industry is taken seriously. This could take another generation, to be done. If you want an example of an industry further into this change, take a look at the video gaming industry; or the movie industry around the time movie cinemas were becoming the norm. You'll know animation is getting closer when big news outlets, and governments are blaming animation for crimes. Then it'll be big enough to be noticed, and not ignored. Sadly, I think if Disney wasn't so popular in the west, animation wouldn't have the stigma of being children's entertainment.

You think there will be less that will be on broadcast tv?

Oh, definitely not. Besides, the TV networks could always start producing animated content themselves if they see profit in it. If the network aren't producing any themselves they could always arrange deals with other producers to bring that content over to their channel, potentially creating another exclusivity deal post what their own streaming service had.

I think we're already seeing that with Funimation's Simuldubs. I'd wager we'll see that expanded on with other companies like Sentai with HiDive. And didn't we see the same with Netflix with "7 Deadly Sins"? So, yes we'll likely see that happen, and more often than now.

Will more anime get actual endings as opposed to those cliff-hangars we all hate?

I don't think we'll see a big change here. Cliff hangars are done for a reason, to support another product. Whether that product is another season, a light novel, video game, manga/comic, movie, or whatever, it doesn't really matter in the long run.

How about adaptations?

Like we do now, we'll always see IP's be made into another form, that includes anime. They do have an established audience after all. That being said, I do think we could see more original shows. With an original IP, the producers get a bigger cut, and that has the potential to make more money. If that new IP is really good, you better bet they'll milk that property for all it's worth.

Of course, that's just my 2 bucks. @darthrutsula40 since you proposed this set of questions, what do you think will come of this?

• Of course, that's just my 2 bucks. @darthrutsula40 since you proposed this set of questions, what do you think will come of this?

My thoughts are: we'll probably see more animated originals. Granted I'll admit that I am probably only familiar with popular shows that were anime first and manga/LN later. But those originals, like Kill la Kill and Little Witch Academia, seemed to have done fantastically well.

Obviously not overnight. I feel that this is more of a generational thing. Millennials seem to be the forerunners on a lot of things becoming mainstream, anime being one of them. Which is funny because they are also responsible for it "dying". We don't want ads but we want more content, but we don't want to spend the cash to make more. This is a problem that broadcast TV is facing now too. Its interesting to think about what we will get eventually. Either ads will cease or we find some other way around it (consensus is that Millennials will be the first generation ever to not out-earn their parents).

Do you think they'll get "better"?

I think we'll get a shift in themes. I think they'll start to appeal more to westerners as opposed to JP. I for one think that we'll see less high school settings. But anime is also centered around FotM where right now its isekai, next year it could be more around supernatural things, could be more politcally centered, who knows!

How about OPs and EDs?

I think they'll be shorter, 1 minute and 30 seconds is a little long for Netflix originals I think, could be mistaken though. Or even CN shows.

I think that if they already have additional content coming, they'll end a season on a cliff-hangar, which is cool. Hype us up for next season. But in general, I think we'll get less "extended ads" for LNs,GNs,or manga.

How about adaptations? You think there'll be more LA adaptations or more anime adaptations or more original content (meaning no source material)?

Something I do kinda want is non-jrpg adapts. For the most part, side-story content on most games are forgettable, but getting something for Nier or Horizon Zero Dawn, or even the Yakuza games would be badass. Sure they may be a little long but I think they'd be worth at least a shot.

I think there'll be an issue with talent being reused. iirc American VA talent isn't as expansive as JP so we'll get a lot of sameness. It wouldn't be good if we have a hard time differentiating different serieses if multiple people sound like one another.