High School DxD S4: They Are Coming, They Are Coming...

• https://youtu.be/Aar0gru143M

Official Trailer. New Animation Studio. Sometime in 2018. When? IDK, SOMETIME IN 2018....

Does new art style "suck"?

Look like Yu-Gi-Oh!?

Skinny heads?

You tell me...

"Will be be on FUNimation?"

No idea.

"Will it be on FUNimation?"

Nothing regarding localization has been announced, just a Japanese promotional video. You not gonna see anything for a bit...

"PLEZE TELL ME, WILL IT BE ON FUNIMATION!?!?!?"

STOP ASKING!!!

"1+1=?"

"WILL IT BE ON FUN...??!?!?"

Any other comments, below is fine....

• Saw the announcement and promo art last year when the official announcement was made, but good to know they finally have actual animation. The original art for the announcement (posters and cardboard stand-ups) for Issei didn't look all that unusual, but did think Rias looked a bit anorexic. Sadly, looks like it's going to carry through for the animation as well.

Even with that, I think I can survive different animation, IF they manage to hold a decent story. There are a lot of conspiracy theories about the direction the show was supposed to take for this season, and I'm hopeful that none of them are true. Only time will tell.

Edit: Where did they come up with the battle cry "おっぱいドラゴン"? (translate that as big boob dragon, for anyone that didn't already know)

• @pleco_breeder The author supposedly confirmed that the story was going to be following books 9 and 10 more faithfully. But I'm more concerned about it being made by passione now because they've left a bad taste in my mouth after some of the shows they've adapted and I'm concerned if funi is actually going to license it normally I wouldn't be concerned by this but things have changed so much in the industry since last season.

• Animation doesn't matter that much to me. Besides, the new animation almost resembles the light novels.

Anyway, glad they're adapting volumes 9 and 10. I have a good feeling they won't make the same mistakes TNK did with season 3 (even though it was still decent in my books).

• Hello once again Grand Alliance,

That comparison to Yugioh was rich, rich indeed. :-) I like that gif you used, what series is that from, if you don't mind me asking that is.

By the way...

I could not help but notice that you ignored requests for your thoughts on this thread evidenced here. Such insolent behaviour will not be tolerated, as the "commission" has come to expect that you will grace us with your presence on the prevailing issues of the day. (laughs)

Hoping this post finds you well,

Sincerely,
    P.J.

• @P.J. said in High School DxD S4: They Are Coming, They Are Coming...:

Hello once again Grand Alliance,

That comparison to Yugioh was rich, rich indeed. :-) I like that gif you used, what series is that from, if you don't mind me asking that is.

Railgun or Index, one of the two.

Official Trailer. New Animation Studio. Sometime in 2018. When? IDK, SOMETIME IN 2018....
    Does new art style "suck"?
    Skinny heads?
    You tell me...

Looked fine in some places, others it didn't. Probably still being worked on.

Edit: Where did they come up with the battle cry "おっぱいドラゴン"? (translate that as big boob dragon, for anyone that didn't already know)

Because he's a hero in Hell/the Underworld, kids love the chichiryuutei. There are action figures of him and the gang and the women have like some wierd realistic boobs or whatever? It gets pretty absurd sometimes.

I'm excited to see Cao Cao and his Spear of Longinus.

• If only it was being dubbed by someone other than funimation. It will probably have cringey lines about misogyny, sexism, and patriarchy...

• Animation isn't a total deal breaker for me, although I'll admit that the characters look a bit off to me, and it's not because they changed studios (Which they did) because Season 2 of Log Horizon did the same and while it wasn't as good as Satelight's animation, The character designs we're still totally on point., So I'm suspecting that the character designer changed this season.

• @MordethKai said in High School DxD S4: They Are Coming, They Are Coming...:

If only it was being dubbed by someone other than funimation. It will probably have cringey lines about misogyny, sexism, and patriarchy...

Not because of a substory change (started in season 2), voice actor change (season 3 onward) or animation change (season 4)? Because all of that is present in this series in the dub.

• @darthrutsula40 said in High School DxD S4: They Are Coming, They Are Coming...:

Not because of a substory change (started in season 2), voice actor change (season 3 onward) or animation change (season 4)? Because all of that is present in this series in the dub.

I've read several comments about the "substory change", but haven't seen anything that really jumped out as substantial. Granted, I've only read the manga, and watched the series several times, so is this something which is specific to the LN or is there something I'm missing?

• @darthrutsula40 well Scott Freeman went to jail so they couldn't help that change, and I don't think anybody knows what happened to Akenos voice actor she hasn't been heard of in a long time.
    I'm hoping they actually get the same script writer and ADR they had for season one and two because season 3's script wasn't as good.

• i actually like this new art style very clean and doesn't look so fancy i guess you can say and it looks like the light novels. stop making complaints we finally got season 4. now we just got to hope it does good for so we can get another season

• Moved this to the official High School DxD forum. Please post any and all future DxD-related threads there.

• @pleco_breeder said in High School DxD S4: They Are Coming, They Are Coming...:

@darthrutsula40 said in High School DxD S4: They Are Coming, They Are Coming...:

I've read several comments about the "substory change", but haven't seen anything that really jumped out as substantial. Granted, I've only read the manga, and watched the series several times, so is this something which is specific to the LN or is there something I'm missing?

It is in the LNs, the particular story plays a major role in the fight with Sairaorg iirc. It probably has more to do with JP culture and American culture where it probably IS a big deal in JP but is not even a thing in America. I could tell you what it is but I wouldn't want to spoil it for everyone.

@lcdude said in High School DxD S4: They Are Coming, They Are Coming...:

@darthrutsula40 well Scott Freeman went to jail so they couldn't help that change, and I don't think anybody knows what happened to Akenos voice actor she hasn't been heard of in a long time.
    I'm hoping they actually get the same script writer and ADR they had for season one and two because season 3's script wasn't as good.

I know, I was just pointing it out.

@rammstein4g3 said in High School DxD S4: They Are Coming, They Are Coming...:

i actually like this new art style very clean and doesn't look so fancy i guess you can say and it looks like the light novels. stop making complaints we finally got season 4. now we just got to hope it does good for so we can get another season

My problem is that it looks like everyone had just gotten out of the shower, their hair looks less messy and/or full. It's w/e I'd still watch it, both dubbed and subbed (I still hate the season 3 dub though).

• @thegrandalliance Thx for posting this. I have been hoping, praying but was too afraid to ask about it. Good to know its coming back. Now I have to practice my patience.

• Im not sure i like the way they look. Kinda sorta look like Hiraku Kaneko's art style, and i've never been much of a fan of his work

• @P.J.

I did not post in such a wretched thread... All of ye foolish mortals failed to heed Sacred Internet Law:

Furthermore, I have downshifted my forum activities quite a bit, in favor of the Discord. Me sure some here are happy, lol.

@timrobasa

No worries. Hopefully (or not) S4 doesn't get too out of hand, in either case.

• Asia looks like she has aged 3 or 4 years and grown 3 or 4 inches in the new art.

I am wondering where Ravel is in the trailer, I think she starts to hang around Issei by this time in the light novels.

As for Funimation's scripts. Jamie Marchi wrote the first season, which was hilarious and irreverent. I hope Funi gets the rights and I hope Jamie writes season 4.

I hope Funimation gets the rights for several reasons. 1) Crunchyroll will probably end up getting the rights to stream the sub. If Sentai gets the rights, then it will be on Amazon Strike. 2) Funimation has the best home media releases and VAs imo. Aniplex charges an arm and a leg for their home media releases, and Sentai 's are a little more expensive than Funimation, rarely go down in price and IMO have lesser special features. Plus I like the fact that Funi releases combo packs

• @HOOfan1
    I'm sure Funimation and Crunchyroll will get it. They got the first three seasons, so why shouldn't they get the fourth?

• there's no reason to worry about Aniplex, DxD is a Kadokawa property

if you aren't seeing sentai's prices go down, then you are simply missing their sales. Rightstuf often has them every month, roughly 40% off.

• @TVLubber said in High School DxD S4: They Are Coming, They Are Coming...:

@HOOfan1
    I'm sure Funimation and Crunchyroll will get it. They got the first three seasons, so why shouldn't they get the fourth?

It happens sometimes. I think recently either Sentai got a follow up season to a show CR previously had the license to or Vice Versa