Peculiar sound from PS4?

• Console off, yet plugged in. And, if you listen closely, you can hear a faint ticking? And no, it’s not my Pink Floyd CD. Could that be the internal clock for the system? I have the regular PS4 NOT the Pro.

Input welcome, (looks at @darthrutsula40)

Sincerely,
    P.J.

• @P.J. said in Peculiar sound from PS4?:

Console off, yet plugged in. And, if you listen closely, you can hear a faint ticking? And no, it’s not my Pink Floyd CD. Could that be the internal clock for the system? I have the regular PS4 NOT the Pro.

Input welcome, (looks at @darthrutsula40)

Sincerely,
    P.J.

Are you implying that the PS4 uses a clockwork system clock???

• Hello once again Pleco Breeder,

Perhaps some internal system timer? I'm definitely hearing something...

Would you happen to have the PS4?

Sincerely,
    P.J.

• I honestly don't know much about the PS4 specifically, but did find the implication rather comical. It may be that it's 3:30 in the morning, but I got a good laugh from it.

Is the sound rythmic, or random? I've taken a couple of systems apart for repair, although only one PS4. A rhythmic sound could be electronic in nature, but shouldn't be loud enough to be readily recognizable without really concentrating. The only mechanical parts to the system are inside the disk drive, but there shouldn't be any way for that to be operating with the power off.

Any internal clock should have to keep time even without power connected, and actually has an internal battery to supply it. Therefore, an easy test should be to unplug the system for a few minutes and see if the sound is still present without AC power.

• If you unplug it, and plug it back in, Does the sound go away? Could be a case of your BD drive still spinning even witout a disc in it

• Hello once again Pleco Breeder,

It does not seem like it is random...

Hello once again Series5Ranger,

Yeah, when i get an opportunity, going to have to look into this further...

Thank you both for trying to pin this down.

Sincerely,
    P.J.

P.S.- Dreading the thought of possibly having to unplug and re-plug back in the system... so much stuff to move... :-/