Website Video Player Known Issues & Updates

• This is the official thread for Funimation.com Streaming support. Please follow this thread for updates to the streaming and show navigation sections of the site and the status of any reported issues. You may also report any issues not listed here and/or ask questions about upcoming updates.

Other site sections will have their own threads, so please keep replies on this thread about video playback, finding videos, Queue, and watch history.

Replies about anything else will have to be deleted, so that we can keep the thread on topic. ๐Ÿ™ If status threads do not exist yet, you may post in Funimation General.

• Known Issues

Legend:
    โš ๏ธ Assessing issue
    ๐Ÿšฉ Open Issue
    ๐Ÿ Issue fixed and ready for deploy
    โŒIssue cannot be fixed
    โœ… Fixed Issue

Show Detail

1. Videos do not appear on Show Detail while browsing using Internet Explorer 11. Raw code appears instead
      a. Status: ๐Ÿšฉ In progress
      b. To get around this issue, please use a different web browser.
      c. Ref: 14206

2. Video player plays last watched version, even if it was from watching a different show, instead of the chosen version when the user filters the Show Detail video list.
      a. Status: โœ… Fixed
      b. To get around this issue, enter the version you want to play into the URL in your browser's address bar. E.g. Replace "simulcast" with "uncut"
      Ref: 14056

Video Player

1. The video player UI stays does not disappear when the player is full screened.
      b. This issue only affects Windows 10 touch devices while browsing using Firefox or Chrome. The issue does not occur when using Edge. I was not able to reproduce on a non-touch Windows 10 PC.
      c. Ref: 10504

2. Soft subtitles and closed captions deactivate after ad playback.
      b. Ref: 12963

More coming soon...

• Feature List & Updates

More will be added soon.

October 20, 2017

• Video Player playlist removed due to performance issues. It may be added back if there is enough user interest.

October 26, 2017

• Fixed an issue where the video player would always play the last version watched regardless of chosen version filter.
    • Fixed an issue where the Continue Watching area was not appearing on Show Detail.
    • Optimized certain site areas to address an issue where the site would go down over the weekend during peak hours.

Minimum Requirements

Coming soon.

• Tips & Troubleshooting

Video Player

1. Unable to play a video at all. Player is stuck on the thumbnail/background image.
      a. This occurs when communication between the video player and Google ad services is being blocked.
      b. To resolve, please make sure you have done the below. Thanks goes to @animenoob, @icepick314, @Bdtry, and @Bunny22:
      • disable any ad blocking extensions, plugins, or software.
      • disable anything blocking tracking
        • If you have Avast installed, disable tracking in Web Protection
        • If you have Spybot Anti-Beacon installed, undo "Telemetry Hosts (extensive list)" if it has been applied. You may need to restart your computer after doing this. Please refer to this video provided by @Bunny22.
          • Also, because it looks like this setting adds a large list of URLs to your hosts file, you may just need to remove some of the entries that the Funimation web player needs. That way, you can leave the setting applied and continue to block everything else. The list of URLs to remove is below.
        • In Firefox v53.0.3 64-bit, click on the shield symbol in the address bar and select "Disable protection for this site". You can then turn on "Use Tracking Protection in Private Windows" and "Always apply Do Not Track" in the options.
      • White list or remove the below domains, if you are blocking domains via your hosts file or a script blocking add-on or extension, such as NoScript:
    1. Video playback is automatically paused in Safari.
      a. Starting with Safari 11.0, video playback with sound is automatically paused by default. To have videos on Funimation.com always start playing by default:
      1. Go to a video player page, like: https://www.funimation.com/shows/fairy-tail/the-fairy-tail/uncut/?lang=english
      2. Right click on the address bar.
      3. Choose "Web Settings"
      4. Set "Auto-Play" to "Allow All Auto-Play"

• hi again, it's 2 days in a row after 10:30pm I couldn't access Funimation I prefer to use the app Funimation video player on Wincrap 10 instead of using web, I only use Firefox...now it telling me check my connection, lol funny ...connection yeah right ...I wouldn't able to write this issue :(

• Hey, I have issue number one, can't get Funimation to work on any of my multiple internet browsers or computers. I've done what you've suggested in this thread. I don't have any anti virus running and I've added Funimation as an exception all the places I know I can do that. Please help me, I want to purchase subscription, but will refrain until its usable on my PC. I will add, it works on my phone and PS4, so its not my internet.

• @dark_smurf The "connection" error isn't always your connection. Sometimes, it's just that you can't connect to us because there is something happening on our end, which is what was happening Sunday night.

This issue was resolved early this morning.

@BlazeFrost Could you please post a screenshot of the issue?

• @Sophie

0_1508231455675_Screenshot (12).png

And then it just wont play. Issue persists on both Desktop and laptop on home and public wifi. I was using it a few days ago. Nothing major changed on both computers.

• @BlazeFrost Thank you for posting the screenshot. It definitely looks like the issue described. Unfortunately, we don't have an exhaustive list of troubleshooting suggestions for this issue quite yet, so I really appreciate your patience and help in this matter to see what we can do to get things to work.

Instead of adding Funimation as an exception, could you try disabling those programs or add-ons entirely? It might be something else that is being blocked. Perhaps something changed about those programs or Windows 10 in an automatic update?

If possible, could you also list the programs or settings where you have added Funimation as an exception and what you did to add it as an exception?

I would have also suggested checking to see if anything is blocked at the router level, but you mentioned that you had tested on both your home and on public WiFi.

Since you've tested on a desktop and on a laptop, do those computers have similar setups? Could you try disabling things on just one device to see if that helps?

As soon as you can get the player to work, you can start adding back things that had been enabled before to see where it breaks.

@ArtistTimLong I have moved your posts and my reply to a new thread, so that we can keep this thread to just being about video issues:
    https://www.funimation.com/forum/topic/14901/

Let's try to work through each of the issues there.

• Iโ€™m getting a little tired of the Playback controls getting in my way. Is there any progress? Or is it unfixable?

• @Mrluis613 Are you on a Windows 10 touch device? I have no additional information on the status of the fix, but it is in the list to be fixed. I do know that the issue does not occur in Edge.

• Hello, having issues with seeing the Episode list in the video player. https://gyazo.com/85d10b8bfee75bfaeb2bf3fa29f8f165 here is what it looks like, not sure if it was moved but I sure as hell cannot find it.

• @ZeSkullKId This is not a bug. The playlist was removed from the website video player intentionally.

If you'd like it to be added back, please post in the Suggestion Box Forum. Please also include how the playlist improves your experience on the site.

• I have been having issues with the website player where whenever a commercial plays and it returns to the show, the subtitles have failed, despite the option still being set to on. I have been having this in concrete revolutio, which is sub only, but it also apears in dubed content. I have tested it in chrome, firefox, and edge as well.

• @kitmehsu Thank you for reporting. That issue is in the pipeline to be fixed. I have added it to the known issues list in the thread.

• @BlazeFrost said in Website Video Player Known Issues & Updates:

@Sophie

0_1508231455675_Screenshot (12).png

And then it just wont play. Issue persists on both Desktop and laptop on home and public wifi. I was using it a few days ago. Nothing major changed on both computers.

@Sophie said in Website Video Player Known Issues & Updates:

@BlazeFrost Thank you for posting the screenshot. It definitely looks like the issue described. Unfortunately, we don't have an exhaustive list of troubleshooting suggestions for this issue quite yet, so I really appreciate your patience and help in this matter to see what we can do to get things to work.

Instead of adding Funimation as an exception, could you try disabling those programs or add-ons entirely? It might be something else that is being blocked. Perhaps something changed about those programs or Windows 10 in an automatic update?

If possible, could you also list the programs or settings where you have added Funimation as an exception and what you did to add it as an exception?

I would have also suggested checking to see if anything is blocked at the router level, but you mentioned that you had tested on both your home and on public WiFi.

Since you've tested on a desktop and on a laptop, do those computers have similar setups? Could you try disabling things on just one device to see if that helps?

As soon as you can get the player to work, you can start adding back things that had been enabled before to see where it breaks.

@ArtistTimLong I have moved your posts and my reply to a new thread, so that we can keep this thread to just being about video issues:
    https://www.funimation.com/forum/topic/14901/

Let's try to work through each of the issues there.

@Sophie I am having the exact same issue. I have tried on 2 different versions of Firefox using normal and incognito browsers as well as Microsoft Edge. If the page loaded slowly I would get the player with a grey background but it would then load to the broken player that was posted.

When I have nothing blocking I get the same broken player with no buttons. When I used a browser with a script blocker I got a normal player with a play button etc, but it was a grey background to it. The SECOND I allowed Brightcove the player broke, ever single time.

• @Bdtry Thank you so much for testing this and for the information. I understand that you tested as both incognito and regular.

Per the troubleshooting post, could you please confirm that you have done the below:

• Clicked on the shield in the address bar and then checked "Disable protection for this site"
    • Disabled all ad blocking and script blocking extensions and software
    • Removed s0.2mdn.net from your hosts file

If so, and the player is still not working, could you tell me if you see any errors reported in the Console tab of Firefox > Developer > Web Console when you load a video detail page? Please test with nothing blocking.

The player is Brightcove, which is a Javascript player. When you allowed it, did you get the screen with the thumbnail? I'm just making sure that I understand.

• @Sophie

After doing all of that I think I found the problem. Avast web protection was on and blocking tracking. I did not have it up so I did not notice it was enabled. After playing around it appears that by blocking tracking of doubleclick it broke the player. Blocking analytics, social media, etc had no effect on the player.

Funimation is the only website I have ever encountered this issue on, even with other websites that use doubleclick, even if it is/was blocked by script blocker and Avast.

After getting that figured out I went to playing with my script blocker. Blocking any of these breaks the player so they are the minimum required I found specific to this site. I figured a list would be handy for other NoScript or other users.
    funimation.com (obviously)
    dlvr1.net
    d132fumi6di1wa.cloudfront.net
    brightcove.net
    2mdn.net

• @Bdtry Thank you!!! I have added this to the troubleshooting steps for this issue.

@BlazeFrost Could you try the above steps if you are still not able to load the video player?

• @Sophie yeah... It's a Windows 10. I just prefer using the website (or IOS) more when watching my shows. And the Playback Controls are just getting a little annoying after pressing Alt+Tab constantly

• Why does the video player on here pause to buffer more than any other video player? I don't get it all the time but when it happens its real annoying, I never get this problems on Youtube ever. Also can't buffer more than a few seconds so can't leave it to load for awhile either, are they going to add this (could atleast be an option that you only turn on if you need it) or improve the video player any time soon?