FUNimation Shop Navigation Issues…

• Recently, while browsing through all 52 pages under the category of home video, page 25 seems to be a bum link. Both pages 24 and 26 have items on them, yet, 25 yields this:

0_1507625208392_page 25.JPG

Also, when searching for a longer titled show, the search bar will cut off the text, please see:

0_1507625297603_search bar.JPG

When the auto-generated query service is running, it is of little consequence, because then it will intuitively know that i am trying to find “and you thought there is never a girl online”, however, if that service isn’t working and the text cuts off in the search bar, you are fresh out of luck and have to find the title through more round-a-bout means.

Sincerely,
    P.J.

• Seeing your screenshots, I think that the real problem here is the fact that you are still using Windows XP (unless it's some kind of custom theme). Seriously, I know you value the safety of your personal information online so you shouldn't use an operating system that isn't supported anymore.

• @P-J Thanks for reporting.

Page 25 is a bug and has been entered into our issue tracker. Thanks!

Character limit is most likely a bug. It will be addressed as part of the planned Search overhaul. However, results are still returned using a partial show title.

0_1507660919479_2017-10-10_1341.png

• Hello once again Krock,

Yeah, it's one of those things where, after 8 years (probably longer) the hard-drive on my Win 7 Dell XPS 420 finally gave out - - and it will be some time before i have the money for a Win 10 setup. Can't complain, i definitely got my monies worth. In scope of all this, reverted to my backup XP Professional system. (Overall) FUNimation streams decently through Chrome even though it is XP.

Sincerely,
    P.J.

• Hello once again Sophie,

Yes, in general, partial entries will yield results. I'm not sure if what i possibly noticed the other night where things were not being found was due to FUNimation performing site maintenance? It seemed also that the site was running a smidge slower? Perhaps an anomaly? In either case...

Also, i have sent a follow-up message to the Admin from Symantec who i was dealing with concerning the forum spam here, hopefully, i will get a concrete answer for you this time.

I'll just throw this out there, through the years participating on both Norton's Community Forum and Verizon's Community Forum, i didn't notice much spam and they utilize the Lithium platform. Would FUNimation ever consider switching to that versus NodeBB?

Thanks for all you do here,

Sincerely,
    P.J.

• @P-J Anything is possible. The only reason we really went with NodeBB is because it allowed for one forum to be used across multiple domains, which is not something supported out of the box by vBulletin, and at the time we had funimation.com, funimationnow.uk, and funimationnow.ie. Now that the site is global, it seems like other forum software can be considered. My vote is for vBulletin 5 unless Lithium can be customized like vBulletin can.

• @P.J. said in FUNimation Shop Navigation Issues…:

Hello once again Krock,

Yeah, it's one of those things where, after 8 years (probably longer) the hard-drive on my Win 7 Dell XPS 420 finally gave out - - and it will be some time before i have the money for a Win 10 setup. Can't complain, i definitely got my monies worth. In scope of all this, reverted to my backup XP Professional system. (Overall) FUNimation streams decently through Chrome even though it is XP.

Sincerely,
    P.J.

I see, so it's a temporary setup then, good luck on getting a new system.

• Hello once again Admin Sophie,

The following is a direct quote from the Admin at Symantec that i reached out to concerning the forum spam issue here:

"We've been on the Drupal platform for about 2 years now. It's open source and customizable, and there are a bunch of spam-prevention modules available. But also, most forums have the ability to switch to "moderated mode" - that is, all threads are in a holding area until the moderator publishes them publicly. If we were getting inundated with spam, we'd likely move to that model for a brief time, until the spamming died down. That's usually better than over-automating things. That said, since Drupal is open-source, we have a lot of options when it comes to automation. We've leveraged a lot of that customization to improve the spam monitoring and removal capabilities. We've essentially boiled it down to 2-3 clicks to remove all spam for an individual, and blacklisted so much that you really only see the "tip of the iceberg" publicly when it comes to spam. So much spam is automatically processed, blocked, and removed, making it an actual forum for contributions."

Please let me know if you have questions/ concerns of which i can relay back.

Sincerely,
    P.J.

• From what I have seen here from the spammer(s), it seems to come at unpredictable time intervals, like they can post every night for a few days then be completly silent for a few weeks. This "moderated mode" would certainly help catching the spam posts, but for all the time it would be active, it would require someone watching the post queue all day long or else posts would take a while before being publicly shown and it would surely hurt the flow of discussions.

An other thing is that Drupal is based a lot on user contributed modules, so you have to trust the providers to use their creations, and I'm not sure of the implications for a company to do such thing (and their budget probably doesn't allow in-house module development either). But if that's not a problem, Drupal could be an interesting solution nonetheless because the module database seems to be quite large.

• @P-J I really appreciate the suggestion and you reaching out to Symantec, but the first version of this site was on Drupal, and, frankly, it was just a terrible experience. Drupal was just not robust enough for us, and when I asked when we would be updating to Drupal 7, I was met with looks of horror.

It sounds like Symantec also has had to blacklist despite being on Drupal, which is what I've been doing lately and has been pretty effective.

• Hi Sophie,

You explain,

"the first version of this site was on Drupal, and, frankly, it was just a terrible experience. Drupal was just not robust enough for us, and when I asked when we would be updating to Drupal 7, I was met with looks of horror.."

Interesting. Well, i'm very sorry to hear that there was such a negative experience... Let me ask you this, was it that Drupal 7 would not be cost effective, or, was it that after the bad experience with their former platforms, FUNimation staff just didn't want to go down that road ever again? If that is sensitive information, feel free to ignore. What i'm thinking is that, potentially, Drupal learned from their mistakes with previous versions and 7 would not result in hair-pulling?

To avoid any slowdown in receiving information (as i'm on this forum at all odd times) if you have questions, the Admin from Symantec that i reached out to can be contacted directly at:
    tony_weiss@symantec.com

Sincerely,
    P.J.

• I'm thinking it was mostly a technical limitation. The entire site was on Drupal 6 with a ton of customization. Upgrading to 7 would have been problematic, especially if the modules we were using were not compatible.

Drupal just wasn't robust enough for a streaming site. The site ended up being very slow. Plus, the database on the backend was nuts. There were tables inside cells of other tables. It's the reason why we couldn't migrate the forum posts from Advanced Forum to the vBulletin forum and had to start from scratch. All I could bring over was post count. The Drupal modules were also very difficult to customize. I was told that we couldn't even customize the button text on Advanced Forum. "Post" had to be "Save".

I really don't think Drupal would ever be an option for us.

• Update on this: Looks like page 25 is now working.

Sincerely,
    P.J.