Black Clover Simuldub

• So a brand-new Weekly Shonen Jump title is among us, and it is... a show everyone hates for being the definition of generic. And it doesn’t help that the voice acting has become a meme thanks to the MC’s constant yelling of every - single - LINE. Yet in spite of it all, the series known as Black Clover is now being touted as the next Bleach in the same way My Hero Academia has been touted as the next Naruto.

But you know what could possibly help this series, or at least the anime? The dub from Funimation. So in the spirit of our “My Hero Academia Broadcast Dub” topic, I thought I’d make a thread for the dub on the other really big current WSJ title that isn’t One Piece. So: who do you think could make Asta far less annoying, and who should play the other characters?

NOTE: If someone could put this in a to-be-created Black Clover forum section, that would be great.

• @Gemnist I think I read elsewhere on the forums that the dedicated Funimation titles section was going to be done away with in favor of tagged threads. Another thing that doesn't help how Asta sounds in the simulcast is the fact that this is his seiyuu's first ever major role; in fact, ANN only lists two other titles that he has a role in at the moment, and they're bit roles specific to only one episode in each respective title.

On the topic of English VA's, I suggest either Justin Briner or Aaron Dismuke for Asta and Ricco Fajardo for Yuno.

• @GalaxyCrisis Yeah, it will be done away with eventually. I figured I'd make one, though, since it's the next Bleach and stuff. :P

• @Sophie Hey, don’t look at me. I’m just going off of what the Internet says. But good thing the categories are going away; it felt weird when it wouldn’t update per season.

@GalaxyCrisis Having newcomers in lead roles, from what I’ve seen, has always been viewed positively. After all, it’s rather satisfying to see new talent in an industry that often doesn’t afford that opportunity to people on either side of the Pacific. Of course, if the performance is bad it might be detrimental to future casting, so for decency’s sake I hope that doesn’t happen to Fujiwara. As for who to play Asta and Yuno, Ricco’s a good choice, and I personally think Josh Grelle would be great for Asta.

• As for who I would cast as Asta and Yuno, my first choice, however unlikely it is to happen, would be Michael Jones and Garrett Storms respectively. Those two give me a very strong Sting & Rogue kind of vibe.

My second choice would be sort of a reverse My Hero Academia, with Clifford Chapin as Asta and Justin Briner as Yuno.

• @SpacemanHardy That actually doesn’t sound too bad in the first case. Michael Jones could use more roles, and Garret Storms can do deadpan well. Plus, as I said, there are plenty of Fairy Tail similarities. The second one is more iffy, as I feel Clifford is too deep-pitched for Asta and Justin is too high-pitched for Yuno (even when he does deadpan). I could actually see Clifford as ADR director however, or Jerry Jewell. Also, I predict Alexis Tipton as Noelle, based off of some of her more recent roles like in Hyoka.

Anyway, an update. Apparently, Black Clover is the only series whose dub premiere date has not been confirmed. This suggests either outsourcing to California (e.g. Mob Psycho 100) or a Toonami Broadcast (e.g. Dimension W). I’m personally hoping for neither, at least not yet (in the latter’s case).

• @Gemnist It says the dub is coming to FunimationNow. It could be outsourced to BangZoom since its supposedly 51 episodes and a lot of actors in Texas could be busy with all the other series this Fall.

• @Gemnist according to @classyspartan's tracker nothing seems even close to be done on Toonami so unless they're waiting almost the rest of the year it's not going there.

• Yeah, I figured it couldn’t be Toonami yet since there’s nothing about to be cancelled. It would be odd to see it outsourced though, as it’s one of their flagship titles this season, but then again they outsourced Your Name so who knows? Also, I’ve heard those rumors, but isn’t it supposed to be 13 episodes?

• @Gemnist said in Black Clover Simuldub:

Also, I’ve heard those rumors, but isn’t it supposed to be 13 episodes?

the only source of that is Funimation listing it as 13 episodes. There could be various reasons for them doing this such as them only having 13 episodes licensed as of now or just a placeholder.

The source of 51 episodes is a pretty well known Jump leaker who leaked MHA S3 a few hours before Jump leaked with the announcement, that Pierot was doing Black Clover, the Dragon Ball Super and One Piece specials that just happened (again a few hours before officially announced) and whenever HxH comes back/goes back on hiatus.

Personally I'm more willing to believe him since Funimation still just lists 1 episode for Ancient Magus Bride despite the original announcement for the show even existing said it was 24 episodes.

• Meh, it will be Toonami, no worries. They need SOMETHING new eventually, right? Plus, things can always be bumped/rearranged, of course. Not set in stone...

• @thegrandalliance said in Black Clover Simuldub:

Meh, it will be Toonami, no worries. They need SOMETHING new eventually, right? Plus, things can always be bumped/rearranged, of course. Not set in stone...

Yeah, the fact that Funimation has held back on the announcement the way they have kind of leads me to believe that it may wind up on Toonami. I could see them pulling Naruto from the block similar to what they did to One Piece earlier this year.

• I won't even begin to claim to understand the Toonami agreement, but it seems that common sense would indicate that having something "exclusive" to a broadcast network while still streaming it with subs would defeat the purpose. There are those that watch only dub, and that may work to attract them to a network, but most will simply ignore the existence of the series.

I was dub only for several years because I couldn't speak the language very well yet, and am excessively bothered by having constant writing flashing on the screen. Several series which I ignored, I'm only now catching up on. I imagine that most people that don't have a preference will simply watch on CR rather than flock to Toonami. I'm waiting on the dub for this one. However, if a Toonami announcement is made, will be catching up online within a few hours rather than picking up an unnecessary cable bill just for the sake of it. Such is the way of common sense budgeting.

• According to my DVR, Attack on Titan season 2 will be finishing up its second run tonight, so there is a definite possibility that if the simuldub will be broadcast it will start next week, and an announcement may be made during tonight's block.

Then again, there's also the Samurai Jack marathon on the week after that, so at the same time I think it's too soon for a simuldub program to begin.

• @pleco_breeder

I assure you, it makes perfect sense; they are completely different markets. Sub v Dub. Some/most Americans don't even "recognize the existence" of subs. Do Foreign Language Films ever comprise at the top grossing NA box office$$$? I think not...

BTW, u don't need cable to access AS. Plenty of OTT (overthetop) Internet TV alternatives. Of course, still plenty of old schoolers out there. And kids, they too young for sub services. Their only access to anime may be via parents TV. Various things.

"Common Sense"... Not so "common". Or "sense" either, indeed.

Look no further than our friendly FUNiforum user Gohan, here. Obvious, as it is so...

• @pleco_breeder said in Black Clover Simuldub:

I won't even begin to claim to understand the Toonami agreement, but it seems that common sense would indicate that having something "exclusive" to a broadcast network while still streaming it with subs would defeat the purpose.

Attack on Titan S2 was on Toonami with (I think) a 4 week delay from the sub and the dub was even uploaded on Funimation the day after.

edit:

@thegrandalliance said in Black Clover Simuldub:

And kids, they too young for sub services. Their only access to anime may be via parents TV.

yet old enough to be up (or allowed to record and watch) a show that airs at like 2 AM? I really doubt there's that many parents that won't let their kid sub to Funimation yet will let them watch a show that only airs in the middle of the night.

• Provided it's not an exclusive, I have no real concern with what happens with the series. It's honestly not one I was putting a lot of weight on for this season either way. I will however find it rather odd if Funimation actually puts what is likely their most popular series of the season only available as broadcast.

@thegrandalliance The sub vs. dub statement matches perfectly why I think it doesn't make sense for either Funimation or Toonami. Streaming and network are equally as distant, and I know from being on the dub only side for so long that it is a dramatically small portion of the streaming audience. Most everyone seems to be a mix of the two, with most "one or the other" viewers being sub only (even now I fully believe that most of those are so delusional as to think they're actually getting original content because of a few extremists I've met).

• It will be on both FUNI/Toonami, but toon will be primary. If it is delayed on CN, the simuldub will also be delayed.

Again, the reason it "makes sense" for FUNimation, because the shear size of the TV demographic. People who (still) watch TV in today's cord-cutting, "(post)Millennial Land", far less likely to also have FUNimation subscription. I know, I used to be "one of those people", myself. But to be fair, the FUNimation service only became viable in the last several years, of course...

Indeed, as the 2017 AS "core viewer" is:

1. Is Male
    2. Casual
    3. Likes English
    4. Not "otaku"
    5. Does not want to go out of way for a subscription service
    6. Only watches anime because it happens to be on their TV
    7. May actually think anime is American, because Cartoon Network is
    8. Only likes Shonen/Seinen
    9. Kids with "normie"/conservative parents TV may have limited access to content; parents may not "let them" engage in "other sources". The parents are not self-aware to associate anime on Toonami as "unAmerican"
    10. Thinks the (non-anime) stuff on AS is "watchable"

And depending on what rating system regime you believe in, the total demos could be 1-2 million on average, up to 3.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Toonami/comments/6wu8u5/toonami_ratings_for_august_26th_2017/

Far higher number then active paid FUNimation subs, or even CR 1 million ~ subs. Don't forget other "kids" shows on various TV sources; like Pokemon, pre-Adult Swim CN anime, and their demos, too.

The (legal) dub overall market is always far > Sub. Thus, the "customer" FUNimation would reach on TV with Toonami, is far likely a different customer than its existing subscription user base. Mutually Exclusive.

So, go figure...

• Black Clover has been scheduled for October 22nd on Funimation.

• @chaoticlegacy a Sunday. As in the day after Toonami airs... (just like Attack on Titan)

• @chaoticlegacy Any link to this information?