What makes a Dub great?

• Hey guys and gals, we need your feedback as we strive to improve our quality of service. I have a few specific questions for you, please reply openly and honestly! Your opinions can help mould the future of Funimation Dubs and SimulDubs!

(Copy + Paste the text format below)

What are the three most important things to make a dub great?

What is your top 10 dubs of the past 3 years?

What are your top 10 iconic dubs of all time?

*Note: They do not have to be Funimation exclusive titles.

Focusing specifically on the positives here, if you have problems or issues with dubs, scripts, voice actors, etc. this is not the proper channel to discuss.

Those not using the above format will have their post removed.

Thanks in advance!

-J

• What are the three most important things to make a dub great?

1. Am I entertained
    2. See 1
    3. See 2

What is your top 10 dubs of the past 3 years? (In no particular order)

1. The Heroic Legend of Arslan
    2. Dagashi Kashi
    3. Your Name
    4. MHA
    5. Fairy Tail
    6. Gamers!
    7. Interviews with Monster Girls
    8. Aldnoah.Zero
    9. NO-RIN
    10. Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid

1. Steins;Gate
    2. Robotics;Notes
    3. Cowboy Bebop
    4. FMA
    5. Spice and Wolf
    6. Aldnoah.Zero
    7. Psycho Pass
    8. Ghost In the Shell
    9. Your Name
    10. All Studio Ghibli movies

Obviously I decided shows that started before 3 years ago but were still being dubbed counted for the first part. For me it pretty much comes down to being entertained. I prefer comedy the most since I enjoy a great laugh but I enjoy most other genres as well. I also think I'm pretty relaxed with my opinion on what makes a show good because all I really care about is being entertained. I don't watch the subs so I don't try to pick apart the things that are different. I just watch for the sake of "I should be watching." :-)

1. That is sounds natural for the characters.
    2. Drawing me in fully so I don't think about it as a dub.
    3. The script/writing making sense and not needing extra (like translation notes).

1. The Heroic Legend of Arslan
    2. Terror in Resonance
    3. Black Butler (All of them, but the more recent stuff if pretty good)
    4. Psycho Pass (I think the dub is only about 3 years old)
    5. Death Parade
    6. Assassination Classroom
    7. Sakura Quest
    8. Shounen Maid
    9. Barakamon
    10. Orange

1. Ouran High School Host Club
    2. Baccano!
    3. Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood
    4. Ghost Stories
    5. RomeoXJuliet
    6. Monster
    7. Steins;Gate
    8. Wolf's Rain
    9. Your Name
    10. Spice and Wolf

When it comes to newer dubs, I seem to watch a lot fewer of them. Not related to the quality of the dub, but rather my desire to watch the show again (I watch them subbed since I am very impatient), so anything I have watched dubbed that has been more recent is because I like the show and it has a good dub. If the dub gives me the same emotional response as the sub, then I am pretty happy with that.

Edit I would like to add that attention to details makes a dub interesting. For example, the Black Butler Book of Murder dub. Arthur's accent changes throughout the story. Upon listening to the commentary, I learned that the person he is based on also had that quirk. I did think it was cool that they found that out and incorporated it into the dub.

1. fitting voice actor for the character
    2. feeling the emotions
    3. Good audio mixing. I hate not hearing the voice correctly.

1. My Hero Academia
    2. Mob psycho 100
    3. Tales of Zestiria the X
    4. Seven deadly sins
    5. Ajin
    6. Durarara
    7. Assassination Classroom
    8. Boy and the beast
    9. Black butler Book of murder
    10. Blame!

1. My Hero Academia
    2. Gundam SEED
    3. Eureka Seven
    4. Black Butler
    5. Digimon the movie
    6. Durarara
    7. Gundam Wing Endless Waltz
    8. Neon Genesis Evangelion
    9. Baccano
    10. Big Windup! Oofuri

Best dub performance of all time goes to Mark Oliver as Rau le Creuset from Gundam SEED. Nothing as ever reached that level performance.

Edit: If anyone is interested here is the the clip of Mark Oliver best performance. [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fz8OkIPNhpw&t=3s] Major spoilers for the end of SEED of course. The insanity building up...this man is the best.

As for my most Iconic I had to choose, but I have way more. The Eva rebuilds, the pokemon movies, Fairy Tail, etc etc.

1. Solid voice cast (talented VAs regardless of fame or experience, casting is fitting or even unexpectedly interesting)
    2. Strong technicals (direction, audio mixing, etc. should come together in a way that wraps you in)
    3. Good script (it should stand up as strong writing, even if it isn't a strict translation)

What is your top 10 dubs of the past 3 years?*

1. Toradora
    2. Kill La Kill
    3. Space Dandy
    4. Disastrous Life of Saiki K
    5. Monthly Girls Nozaki-kun
      6, Kiss Him Not Me!
    6. Mob Psycho 100
    7. Love Live (and Sunshine)
    8. NEW GAME!
    9. My Hero Academia

What are your top 10 iconic dubs of all time?*

1. Cowboy Bebop
    2. Baccano!
    3. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
    4. Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
    5. FLCL
    6. Ouran High School Host Club
    7. Case Closed
    8. Trigun
    9. Steins;Gate
    10. Kill La Kill

*In no particular order.

1. Easy to understand accents/voices, that's also pleasant to listen to.
    2. Translated, but not overly localised. Sometimes the difference in culture/religion adds something special to a given series.
    3. Just make the show good, and try to have fun making it.

In no particular order:

1. Gintama (dub the rest damn it... Sorry :P)
    2. Interviews With Monster Girls
    3. The Saga of Tanya the Evil
    4. Shimoneta: A Boring World Where the Concept of Dirty Jokes Doesn't Exist
    5. Assassination Classroom
    6. School-Live!
    7. Gamers
    8. Toradora
    9. Death Parade
    10. Show By Rock series (big + for song dubbing :))

In no particular order:

1. Ghost Stories (the dub made that series good).
    2. Cowboy Bebop
    3. Spice & Wolf
    4. Your Lie In April
    5. Ghost In The Shell Stand Alone Complex (series)
    6. Lucky Star
    7. Shimoneta: A Boring World Where the Concept of Dirty Jokes Doesn't Exist
    8. Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt
    9. Haruhi Suzumiya Series
    10. Black Butler Series

I'm finding it hard to distinguish between a series I've enjoyed and actually good dubs. As I only watch dubs, these shows are more of my favourites than anything else. The only exclusion, would be Ghost Stories, which actually had a dub that turned a poor show into a good(ish) comedy.

• 3 most important things to a great dub:

1. Casting/Performances- Pretty much goes without saying but a good dub should have a really solid cast composed of choices that fit the character rather than simply being the whim of a director or dub producer and the most of the cast should be able to deliver on rock solid vocal delivery.

2. Voice Direction- While casting is important, even a really great cast of actors can sound terrible if they're given shoddy direction so a good dub should have a really skilled ADR Director on board who knows how to bring the most out of their actors and isn't afraid to get unconventional with casting or direction in order to get the best delivery for a scene.

3. Scripting- This one has gotten overlooked quite a bit until recently (and sadly for negative reasons) but it's as vital as the other two. A good dub should have a script that matches the tone of the show. Sometimes that means sticking as close to the original JP script as possible while other times it might be ideal to get a bit loose with the dialogue or translation choices in order to make things easier for English speakers to understand. In the case of the latter though, it's REALLY important that any liberties taken are taken for the benefit of making the context of a scene easier for English speakers to understand and not just random insertions from the script writer. So long as a script can maintain the context of any given scene and stay true the original characterization of each character then I'm totally fine with liberties being taken,

Top Dubs of the last 3 years:

1. Toradora
    2. Tokyo Ghoul
    3. Your Lie in April
    4. Sailor Moon (Viz)
    5. Kill la Kill
    6. Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
    7. Rage of Bahamut: Genesis
    8. Fate/Zero
    9. My Hero Academia
    10. Blood Blockade Battlefront

Top 10 Dubs of all time:

1. Monster
    2. Tiger & Bunny
    3. Cowboy Bebop
    4. Fullmetal Alchemist 03'/Brotherhood
    5. Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
    6. Yu-Yu Hakusho
    7. Death Note
    8. Code Geass
    9. Black Lagoon
    10. Toradora

• I have some things that makes dubs great

1. Dubbed songs- If an anime is getting dubbed, it should have a full and complete dub, including any singing during the episodes. The voice actor should be able to sing, but at the same time, match the personality of the character, and as an added bonus, sound similar to the Seiyu.

2. Easier to watch and Understand- When it is dubbed, people can better understand the dialogue, including the story and personality. No knowledge of the Japanese Language required. Even those with autism or those having trouble learning and understanding Japanese can easily watch and understand what is going on.

3. Sticking to the Script- The Dubbed script should stick close to the Japanese script with no deviations as it can alter the plot or stray away from the original dialogue. In other words, the lines in the English script should be very similar to the Japanese script, and if possible, keep some of the lines translated directly from the Japanese script.

The top 10 are in no particular order

1. Show By Rock (Big bonus for dubbed songs)
    2. Toradora
    3. Charlotte
    4. Love Live
    5. Three Leaves, Three Colors
    6. Shomin Sample
    7. Hina Logic
    8. Gonna Be The Twintails
    9. Amagi Brilliant Park
    10. Chivalry Of A Failed Knight

1. High School Dxd
    2. Date A Live
    3. Is This A Zombie!
    4. Heaven's Lost Property
    5. Keijo!!!
    6. Clannad
    7. Angel Beats
    8. Little Busters
    9. Monthly Girls Nozaki-Kun
    10. The Asterisk War

1. Cast bringing in a lot of energy. I know this can be hard to nail, but my favorite dubs were definitely the ones where it sound like the voice actors were having a blast voicing the characters. Gamers from this current season has probably been the highlight.

2. A well-written script. Contrary to people who whine when changes are made, I don't mind the occasional line change to make it sound better and more natural in English. People who expect a 1:1 translation are setting themselves up for disappointment. Some lines just don't translate well, so I feel like the script writers shouldn't be afraid to make some changes while still trying to be faithful to the original text.

3. Direction. This is a big thing since some dubs will use the same voice actors but will still come off as flat in some. Having a competent ADR who is good at casting and direction is essential.

1. 91 Days
    2. Space Dandy
    3. My Hero Academia
    4. Kill la Kill
    5. Mob Psycho 100
    6. Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans
    7. Your Lie in April
    8. Durarara x2
    9. Barakamon
    10. Gamers!

1. Cowboy Bebop
    2. Dragon Ball Z Kai
    3. FullMetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
    4. Golden Boy
    5. Black Lagoon
    6. Baccano!
    7. Yu Yu Hakusho
    8. Trigun
    9. Samurai Champloo
    10. Hellsing Ultimate

1. That the voices match the characters. I don't want a voice that does not appear like it would come out of that person/creature.
    2. Sticking to the feel of the original show, and having a well written script. Don't be adding in jokes where there shouldn't be, try to stay as close to the source material as possible.
    3. That the acting itself is good. I realize that this seems like it would be obvious, but there have been times in dubs where a scene makes me feel so emotional when I watch it subtitled, but then it just doesn't have the same effect in the dub, it's either massively over or underacted. Sorry, can't think of an example right now.

In no particular order,

1. My Hero Academia
    2. Seven Deadly Sins
    3. Black Butler
    4. Death Parade
    5. The Heroic Legend of Arslan
    6. Assassination Classroom
    7. One Punch Man
    8. Attack On Titan
    9. Snow White with the Red Hair
    10. Terror in Resonance

1. Baccano!
    2. Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
    3. Clannad After Story
    4. Black Lagoon
    5. Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood
    6. Death Note
    7. Madoka Magica
    8. Code Geass
    9. Seven Deadly Sins
    10. Hellsing Ultimate

• @JayHairston Challenges Accept!

1. Replacement Scores, and English Theme Song - Every Anime that I have watch with Replacement Scores has been better then the Japan Version. Though this question has been ask WAYYYY to much by a little some buddy. But some of the greatest theme song of ALL time where English Theme Song in Anime and it something that show be more done still today. Even if there taking the Japan song and getting an English Singer to do it would still be good as it keep people into it what the show is about. Also have a good Pump Up Song or something catches that will keep people into it like a Rock the Dragon, Or Pokemon got to Catch them All keep people into at the EDGE of there see for what coming next. Some anime the day just does NOT have as much.

2. Action and getting you Pump Up. You wanted ALOT of action. You wanted to be at the EDGE of you sit to said oh S*** what going to happen next. That what I wanted to see in a dub if I don't see that then good change I not going to wanted to see it anymore which is a BIG reason to why I hate Jojo Season 3 you got give me something to work with. If you not going keep me into the show why am I going keep watching? I just going the change the channel.

3. Voice Actor Performs! This is VERY VERY important and I sure all will agree. If the voice is not right for the character it just NOT going to work not name any voice in particular from Dragonball Z Kai... But I sure you know who I talking about. Anyway you know to keep the voice to what YOU the actor thing how the character SHOULD sound like in English. We don't speak Japaneses the English Voice Actor SHOULD not sound or try to sound like the Japaneses voice he need to make the voice his OWN in English. This is something that VERY lose in this day age of Dubbing. And it need to stop. Some of the BIGGEST characters that got English Voice from the 90's and Early 2000's made the voice there own and that how it SHOULD be.

Sorry but I going had to turn this into more of a all time top 10 dub too since I rewatch some of the old dub that I 1st watch when I was younger. Also not sure of spin off show or OVA's will be counted as one in the same. So seen you don't really said anything about so I going to go with in that thinking.

1. Dragonball Z (Nathren Johnson for Season 1 and 2, Bruce Faulconer Season 3-9 Score) and Ocean Dub Season 1 and 2. and Dragonball English Dub- GREAT ANIME/DUB/SHOW OF ALL TIME. Nothing will ever top this on my list. Do I half to said more? Ocean is a different Dub But I figure I just put then all on for DBZ. Dragonball also had a GREAT Dub with Kid Goku aka the REAL voice of Kid Goku Stephanie.

2. Dragonball Super English Dub- Since this is currently Dub that airing I count it as it own

3. Code Geass/Code Geass: Akito the Exiled - Well when I 1st watch this on Adult Swim back in 2008 I could not believe how great of show this was the dub was prefect. And now it hit another home with Code Geass: Akito the Exiled a Dub may I add I wait for OVER 3 YEARS to get English Dub? Funimation did a VERY good job at getting the old voice actors back for return characters. And though the casting the new characters was well done. B/c of of what Bandai already did for Season 1 and 2 and then what Funimation did for Code Geass: Akito the Exiled I had to put this at Number 2 into term of Dubbing. AND A EPIC JAPAN SCORE AS WELL. Code Geass mostly has some of the best background music out there.

4. Naruto and Naruto Shipption - Yes I know it been going on along time but that does not change how great the dub is. And Great Japan Score to BOOT as well!

5. Bleach - A LONG anime, but with a great dub cast that did a very good job.

6. Pokemon Season 1-8 (4Kids Dub) - So if you where to ask me this 5 years ago Pokemon 4Kids would be number 2 still a GREAT Dub to watch even in 2017 and last the test of time (Wish I could said about the current English Dub of Pokemon -_-)

7. The Yu-Gi-Oh Franchise - Yu-Gi-Oh had some many great dub with Yu-Gi-Oh, and GX however also had a very weak one in Zexel as many people feel that was the weakens Dub cast out of all the Yu-Gi-Oh Animes and I would half to agree. But I feel that hit gold with Yu-Gi-Oh Arc V the Dub cast is VERY good. And I hope some of you here will give it a watch. IT GOT A GREAT THEME SONG TOO. :)

8. Ok now for some new "blood" to one people will not think I would said Soul Eater - A FANTASTIC English Dub. 1st Air on Toonami very connected with the people voices and characters being shown.

9. Fairy Tail- Another Dub that suppised me was the Fairy Tail everyone was into it and VERY good Japan Score to boot for people that don't think I don't like Japan Score. he another one I pointing out. Good action etc.

10. Attack On Titan- Well what else is there to said?

1. Dragonball Z (Nathren Johnson for Season 1 and 2, Bruce Faulconer Season 3-9 Score) and Ocean Dub Season 1 and 2.
    2. Pokemon 4Kids (Season 1-8)
    3. Dragonball
    4. Yu-Gi-Oh GX
    5. Yu-Gi-Oh
    6. Naruto
    7. Code Geass
    8. Zoids: Chaotic Century
    9. Big O
    10. Zatch Bell

• Fluid sentences/matching lips
    • The right voice actors/voices for the role. Sometimes an over the top voice can work other times a more serious voice is warranted
    • A mix of veteran VAs and new blood (there's enough anime work to go around such that you're not hearing the same voice as the lead in every anime)

1. Overlord
    2. Attack on Titan
    3. My Hero Acadamia
    4. Assassination Classroom
    5. 18lf
    6. Last 2 Lupin series that Funimation put out
    7. Black Butler
    8. Prison School
    9. Disastrous Life of Saiki K
    10. FATE Unlimited Blade Works

1. Cowboy Bebop - So good even dub haters give it respect
    2. Death Note - The Light/L voices are superb
    3. Black Lagoon - Good use of accents
    4. Full Metal Alchemist/Brotherhood - Dramatic and iconic
    5. Dragonball Z - Pure iconic
    6. Yu Yu Hakusho - Mix of goofy voices and serious voice blend well, full of emotion
    7. Case Closed - Excellent adaptation, voices feel very right
    8. Naruto - Iconic. The actors suits their characters and convey pure emotion and at times silliness
    9. xxxholic - The voices bring a confusing world to life
    10. Bleach (early seasons) - The voices kit their characters and you have actor who can go from zany to dead serious on a dime.

*Note: They do not have to be Funimation exclusive titles.

1. Voice actors that can sound different from a previous voice role, like James Arnold Taylor who could do multiple characters and you wouldn't even know that he did them (like Obi-Wan, Master Plo Koon, and Johnny Test). I'm not exactly a fan of hearing the same voice in multiple dubs, take for example Infinite Stratos, Date A Live, Baka and Test, The Devil is a Part Timer, and High School DxD (season 3) hearing the same person who didn't really change the way he sounded very much.

2. Voice actors who sound like someone who fits the role (or the exact opposite, I guess it depends on authorial intent). I personally would like character who are from some place foreign to sound foreign, but I can't really hear different accents in Japanese very well, but there's nothing wrong with the dub being better than sub.

3. I generally am fine with deviations from source but I would like it to be believable. Dubs can't be 1:1 with the JP Dub, and I get that. And sometimes just the minute changes can make a dub so much better or keep it on par with the original. I'm fine with jokes being different because I won't even understand it most of the time (like puns for example, Akuma and Kuma = Devil and Bear, would totally be lost in an English setting)

4. Also can we get some realistic emotions too? Maybe some lip-sync as well?

What is your top 10 dubs of the past 3 years? Oh boy this one is a little difficult for me.

1. My Hero Academia
    2. Naruto Shippuden (its been a while since I last watched any amount of the dub but this has always stood out to me)
    3. A Certain Scientific Railgun
    4. Keijo (totally out of left field for me but I LOVEEEEEEEEEEE it)
    5. Overlord (made this anime great again, mostly because of Chris Guerro)
    6. Maria The Virgin Witch
      (running out of ones I liked)
    7. Girls und Panzer
    8. Akame ga Kill
      (seriously scraping the barrel)
    9. Hyperdimension Neptunia
      (wait... I see a loophole here, GAMES CAN BE INCLUDED TOO!)
    10. Nier Automata, Drakengard 3, and Megadimension Neptunia V2.

What are your top 10 iconic dubs of all time? Does it need to be specifically anime? I would love to put Batman TAS and Star Wars The Clone Wars here...

1. High School DxD (seasons 1 and 2 only)
    2. Steins;Gate
    3. Fate/Zero
    4. Accel World
    5. A Certain Scientific Railgun
    6. Madoka Magica
    7. Naruto Shippuden (again, I haven't watched THE WHOLE THING dubbed but what I remember (up through the Pain Arc) I really liked)
    8. Your Name.
    9. Eureka Seven (its so slow and I kinda hate Renton but I do like the dub)
    10. (and probably one of the heaviest sighs ever) B Gata H Kei.

I won't lie, I generally don't watch anime in dub and sub unless I really enjoyed them both and Fate/Zero and DxD were the only ones where I did. I do honestly like Naruto a lot but the dub being so far behind made me watch it subbed and I can't help but only really enjoy the sub now. Other shows that could've made the list (looking at Attack on Titan) I have issues with the voices of certain characters (not just Grelle) that I don't like in sub or dub, I like Eren and Armin in subs but I like Mikasa in dub (Yuki Kaji is probably one of my most favorite male JP VAs though so...). Or heavily repetitive voices (like Josh Grelle) being in everything drags down how awesome dubs can be because of how he's in all of them. I want to hear a show in the background and be able to tell what it is, Grelle's voice is in so many I need to wait on a side character to come in before I can place it (not uniquely his problem but he's in the forefront.) I think part of the problem is that there are many more female voices than male voices so you'll use the same ones multiple times (Truly, and I mean truly tell me if I'm wrong, maybe I'm just watching the wrong shows, but it feels like there's more different women in anime than men).

Edit: totally forgot about Excel Saga, its not too often does a dub need me to double take to understand what happened.

1. A cast that can make their characters come to life. They don't merely play the role, but make the audience really believe the performance and "sell" the character.
    2. Actors with charisma. Certain VAs are so charismatic or memorable to me that I'll often go out of my way to check out shows just because they were involved.
    3. Being clever and creative with the script. Some people frown on this, but often 1:1 translations don't connect particularly well. Some dubs are greatly improved by script changes and enhancements. Yu Yu Hakusho is probably the best example.

1. Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid
    2. Amagi Brilliant Park
    3. Keijo!!!!!!!!
    4. Girls Und Panzer Der Film
    5. Sailor Moon (VIZ redub)
    6. Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun
    7. No Game No Life
    8. Prison School
    9. Gonna be the Twin-Tails!!
    10. Gate

1. Yu Yu Hakusho
    2. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (and Disappearance)
    3. Death Note
    4. Girls Und Panzer
    5. Inuyasha
    6. Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid
    7. Azumanga Daioh
    8. Hellsing Ultimate
    9. Lucky Star
    10. Excel Saga

1. Good acting and directing. A performance needs to feel legit, not like someone reading off a page. Actors and directors need to work together in order to put out the most genuine and realistic production that they are capable of.
    2. Good writing. I'm okay with certain liberties being taken when necessary, but a good writer should never change the overall message that the scene is trying to convey. They should also keep from throwing in unnecessary slang or pop-culture references that might make the dub sound dated in a few years. And they should NEVER by any means use the script to insert their own personal beliefs or politics. A writer should also stay consistent, and not sway from flowery, Shakespearean prose in one moment to going "totally dude brah" the next.
    3. More than anything, a dub needs to be entertaining. Even if a performance isn't perfect, or the writing's taking a bit too many liberties, as long as I'm actively enjoying what I'm watching, I'm willing to overlook most of the small stuff. The actors, writers, and directors need to always bring their A-game regardless of whatever shows they're working on, even if it's one they're not personally fans of.

1. Rage of Bahamut: Genesis
    2. Tokyo Ghoul
    3. ERASED
    4. Blood Blockade Battlefront
    5. Your Name
    6. Noragami Aragoto
    8. One Punch Man
    9. My Love Story
    10. New Game!

1. Cowboy Bebop
    2. Baccano!
    3. Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
    4. Fullmetal Alchemist
    5. Black Lagoon
    6. Ouran High School Host Club
    7. Lucky Star
    8. Gunsmith Cats
    9. GTO
    10. Gurren Lagann

1. keeping the spirit of the show and writing intact. I understand that sometimes needs to be changed for lip flaps but don't throw anyone wildly out of characters.

2. Make sure all the actors are comfortable. I can tell when someone's heart may not be in it when I watch and that turns me off as a viewer.

3. Regardless of the shows quality treat it like your dubbing the best fucking anime ever made. Deep down in the either of the internet that show that may be trash to most is someone's treasure. Don't think just because it's a joke/meme/fandom whipping boy that someone isn't waiting on pins and needles for it.

10 Favorite Funimation dubs of the last 3 years:

1. Ping Pong the Animation
    2. ACCA 13
    3. Grimgar Ashes and Illusions
    4. Noragami and Noragami Arigoto
    5. Blood Blockade Battlefront
    6. Tokyo Ghoul
    8. The Empire of Corpses
    9. Yuri on Ice
    10. Tsukigakirei/Touken ranbu Hanamaru

10 best Non Funimation dubs

1. Monthly Girls Nozaki-Ku
    2. Your Lie in April
    3. Kill la Kill
    4. Love Live
    5. Blue Exorcist
    6. Beyond the Boundary
    7. Jojos Bizzare Adventure
    8. Diabolik Lovers More Blood
    9. Iron Blooded Orphans
    10. A Lull in the Sea

10 Iconic dubs:

1. Cowboy Bebop
    2. Baccano
    3. Full Metal alchemists and Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood
    4. Ghost Stories
    5. Chromorite High school
    6. Summer Wars
    7. Princess Tutu
    8. Ouran High School Host Club
    9. Trigub
    10. Wolf's Rain

1. Voices that fit the character (regardless of experience)
    2. VA’s getting into their character emotionally to make the character memorable/stand out with the help of a director
    3. Script that makes it easy to understand the context of what’s happening, as well as maintaining consistency throughout. Not saying to exactly follow the Japanese script.

What is your top 10 dubs of the past 3 years?*

1. Your Lie in April
    2. One Punch Man
    3. My Hero Academia
    4. Hunter x Hunter
    5. Boy and the Beast
    6. Kill la Kill
    7. One Piece
    8. Assassination Classroom
    9. Grimgar
    10. JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure

What are your top 10 iconic dubs of all time?*

1. Gurren Lagann
    2. Steins;Gate
    3. Cowboy Bebop
    4. Neon Genesis Evangelion
    5. Fullmetal Alchemist (& Brotherhood)
    6. Code Geass
    7. Naruto
    8. Dragon Ball Z
    9. One Piece
    10. Ghost in the Shell

*Note: My lists have no particular order.

• What makes a dub great

1. Not copy and pasting crunchyrolls sub translation for the dub translation.
    2. An amout of Localization and English slang is needed otherwise dubs lack emotion, sound bland and seem lazy.
      3.Keeping the same script writer throughout the entire show don't change half way through and keeping them the same for future seasons of shows.

(Note: I'm only answering this question because it's most important and it's hard to choose my favorite dubs.)

1.Cute girls doing cute things

1. Slice of life

3.Moe

Needless to say between New Game, Hina Logic - from Luck & Logic, A Centaur's Life, and Sakura Quest I've been one happy Funi customer. So keep up the good work! Oh and the dubs sound fine to me so nothing to add on that front.

I regret that I can not answer the next two questions as it would be far too time consuming.

• said in What makes a Dub great?:

1. Stellar casting choice.
    2. Well adapted script.
    3. The acting obviously.
    4. (4th) Top notch directing.

1. One Piece
    2. Space Dandy
    3. Attack on Titan
    4. Shimoneta
    5. Hyouka
    6. My Hero Academia
    7. Daimidaler
    8. Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid
    9. Assassination Classroom
    10. Death Parade

1. Cowboy Bebop (everyone's at least)
    2. My Hero Academia
    3. Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
    4. Space Dandy
    5. Death Note
    6. Tokyo Ghoul
    7. Black Butler
    8. Soul Eater
    9. One Piece (4Kids Dub... I'M LYING! Of course the FUNI dub.)
    10. Code Geass

• said in What makes a Dub great?:

1: Good Directing
    2: Good Acting
    3: Good Writing

1: My Girlfriend is a Gal
    2: Akiba's Trip
    3: Keijo!!!!!
    4: Interviews with Monster Girls
    5: Gamers!
    6: New Game!
    7: Hyouka
    8: Noragami
    9: Monster Musume
    10: And You Never Thought there was a Girl Online

1: Spice and Wolf
    2: Trigun
    3: Cowboy Bebop
    4: Rage of Bahamut: Genesis
    5: Love Live: Sunshine
    6: My Girlfriend is a Gal
    7: Highschool DxD
    8: Rosario Vampire
    9: Ghost Stories
    10: Monthly Girls: Nozaki-kun