How come Funimation DVD/Blu-Ray releases these days are bare bones with no special features?

• I seem to wonder why these days, Funimation DVD and Blu-Ray releases are bare bones with no special features (except for clean opening/closings), such as episode commentary, behind the scenes looks, and bloopers/outakes from the dubs?

For example, the home video release of Three leaves, Three Colors is like that. As a matter of fact, the home video version of the episodes are exactly the same as the broadcast version, with an added Sentai-Filmworks like credit roll at the end.

Its as if Funimation didn't go back and add anything more from the broadcast version.

• I bought Free! S1/s2 and MHA season 1 and these are both packed with extra features. MHA is super insane too. With over 3 hours of extras. Interviews and all. It's really great.

It really depends of the releases really. Smaller shows get less extras.

• Sometimes it's a matter of Japanese licensor or whether they're allowed to do commentary tracks or not. Some come with more than others of course but it's not a matter of "They're not even bothering" sometimes it's a matter of they just can't or it isn't a release that warrants any real features.

Tl;dr It is situational and circumstantial.

• I'm assuming shows with lower sales will have lower effort. It does make sense, why spend even more money on something that won't turn much of a profit.

I don't have a super high number of recent releases, but I have,

Seven Deadly Sins - Pretty much bare bones, as you said, but it's also liscensed through Netflix and I assume Netflix would have a say in exactly what they wanted included with their release.

My Hero Academia - Tons of extras.

Even just glancing through random recent releases, Grimgar, Ashes and Illusions, Snow White with the Red Hair, The Steins;Gate Movie, Attack on Titan Junior High, Disastrous Life of Saiki K, 91 Days, Your Name, Cheer Boys, First Love Monster, Space Dandy, Servamp, ReLife, Danganronpa Hope and Despair Arcs, Drifters and admittedly at this point I got bored, but point is every single one of these very recent shows, within the past few months, they all have some form of extras/commentary.

Personally, I am pretty cool with having less extras if it means having cheaper releases. I recognize that, for these smaller shows that don't have a broad mass appeal and won't make a ton of money, for them to be liscensed there can't be quite as much money wrapped up in the release.

For instance, Gosick is bare bones. But I also appreciate that Funimation took the time to license an older series and get it released for fans like myself who wanted that release. So really, I just count my blessings that I got one at all.

• if three leaves, three colors looks the same, then either nothing needed to be changed between broadcast and home video, or they were very minor things that barely anyone would notice. Shows produced by Dogo Kobo often look very good from start to finish, so its unlikely any major changes needed to be made for Blu-ray.

They haven't had outtakes since, i think, Panty and Stocking.

• @Getchman Soul Eater Not had outtakes as well, I recall.

• @SpacemanHardy said in How come Funimation DVD/Blu-Ray releases these days are bare bones with no special features?:

@Getchman Soul Eater Not had outtakes as well, I recall.

well that's neat. thanks for the heads up

• I think it comes down to the show and how much a splash it made when it released. Three Leaves didn't really make one, afaik. Attack on Titan, Blood Blockade Battlefront, High School DxD and/or Your Name. all did (using them as an example). And there are quite a few spalshing shows in the Funi line-up.

• @classyspartan said in How come Funimation DVD/Blu-Ray releases these days are bare bones with no special features?:

Sometimes it's a matter of Japanese licensor or whether they're allowed to do commentary tracks or not. Some come with more than others of course but it's not a matter of "They're not even bothering" sometimes it's a matter of they just can't or it isn't a release that warrants any real features.

I don't know why, but in general, the Japanese companies seem to be very strict, dictorial, and controlling when it comes to its properties worldwide (even more so than the USA). It can also explain why they region lock some videos on youtube so they are only viewable in Japan.

When releasing anime or Japanese video games internationally, the Japanese companies seem to be very controlling on what the international distributers can and cannot do with the properties that are licensed.

In very rare cases, they may not allow the anime or video game to be released outside of japan at all. One example is Symphogear for some reason. Are International distributers not allow to license and release Symphogear period?

Or why would the production committee at first allow Ro-Kyu-Bu! to be licensed, but them suddenly revoke the license before it can be released?

Those Japanese companies seem to be bigger control freaks than the US Hollywood media industry.

• @Spaceshotx7 said in How come Funimation DVD/Blu-Ray releases these days are bare bones with no special features?:

@classyspartan said in How come Funimation DVD/Blu-Ray releases these days are bare bones with no special features?:

Sometimes it's a matter of Japanese licensor or whether they're allowed to do commentary tracks or not. Some come with more than others of course but it's not a matter of "They're not even bothering" sometimes it's a matter of they just can't or it isn't a release that warrants any real features.

I don't know why, but in general, the Japanese companies seem to be very strict, dictorial, and controlling when it comes to its properties worldwide (even more so than the USA). It can also explain why they region lock some videos on youtube so they are only viewable in Japan.

When releasing anime or Japanese video games internationally, the Japanese companies seem to be very controlling on what the international distributers can and cannot do with the properties that are licensed.

In very rare cases, they may not allow the anime or video game to be released outside of japan at all. One example is Symphogear for some reason. Are International distributers not allow to license and release Symphogear period?

Or why would the production committee at first allow Ro-Kyu-Bu! to be licensed, but them suddenly revoke the license before it can be released?

Those Japanese companies seem to be bigger control freaks than the US Hollywood media industry.

They OWN the anime or video game,they could do want they want with them.if they wanted to,they could just not make them available outside japan.

• I don't really understand why you think it is bad that the companies that created these series want control?

For instance, if I wrote a book, and it was being adapted in to a movie, then you are darn right I would not be allowing people to do whatever they want with it! The fact that they care is not a bad thing.

• @Spaceshotx7 said in How come Funimation DVD/Blu-Ray releases these days are bare bones with no special features?:

You may be talking about for home video, but keep in mind that NicoNico.com got the first series for streaming (and Funimation via their partnership with them). CR got the 3rd series, and a bit later the 1st & 2nd for streaming, which made it is a bit of surprise when they didn't get the 4th.

As I recall, that was handled by Warner Japan. The US side of the company may have gotten a bit worried about the content, and that there could be blowback that would tarnish the reputation of the US side of the company.

• This post is deleted!

• @TheAncientOne said in How come Funimation DVD/Blu-Ray releases these days are bare bones with no special features?:

@Spaceshotx7 said in [How come Funimation DVD/Blu-Ray releases these days are bare bones with no special features?]

As I recall, that was handled by Warner Japan. The US side of the company may have gotten a bit worried about the content, and that there could be blowback that would tarnish the reputation of the US side of the company.

I'm still to this day very salty about Ro-Kyu-Bu! I wonder if we will ever get a home release of it...I just hope Tenshi no 3P doesn't get the same treatment...

• @MRy27 said in How come Funimation DVD/Blu-Ray releases these days are bare bones with no special features?:

@TheAncientOne said in How come Funimation DVD/Blu-Ray releases these days are bare bones with no special features?:

@Spaceshotx7 said in [How come Funimation DVD/Blu-Ray releases these days are bare bones with no special features?]

I'm still to this day very salty about Ro-Kyu-Bu! I wonder if we will ever get a home release of it...I just hope Tenshi no 3P doesn't get the same treatment...

Sentai still has streaming rights for the show, They just returned Home Video rights at the request of the Production Committee.

https://www.hidive.com/tv/ro-kyu-bu-fast-break

It impacted them licensing SS though (Season 2) which they didn't bother to get.

• @Series5Ranger said in How come Funimation DVD/Blu-Ray releases these days are bare bones with no special features?:

Sentai still has streaming rights for the show, They just returned Home Video rights at the request of the Production Committee.
    https://www.hidive.com/tv/ro-kyu-bu-fast-break
    It impacted them licensing SS though (Season 2) which they didn't bother to get.

Because Ro-Kyu-Bu is not getting a home video release, that will probably means we won't see Ro-Kyu-Bu SS or even Tenshi No 3P ever on DVD/Blu-Ray in the US. I don't know what went wrong with the licensing, and if the production committee will ever allow another company, such as Funimation to pick up the full Home Video license, or even have everything fully dubbed.

• @Series5Ranger Yes I know they are streaming the first season but I like to own shows that I like.

• @Series5Ranger said in How come Funimation DVD/Blu-Ray releases these days are bare bones with no special features?:

Or more likely, Warner Japan decided not to offer it for international licensing in any medium.

• I wished Highschool DxD NEW and Highschool DxD BorN had commentary's