The UK is getting a Blu-Ray of Pokemon Season 1 Box Set where is it for the USA?

• Source: https://pokemonblog.com/2017/09/23/pokemon-indigo-league-box-set-announced-by-manga-entertainment/comment-page-1/#comment-20822

"A special box set featuring Pokémon: Indigo League has been announced by Manga Entertainment. Set to release in the UK on October 30, it will officially mark the first time this set will be available in DVD for £39.99 and Blu-ray for £59.99 in the UK. The long-running Pokémon the Series follows Ash, a boy who sets out on a journey to become a Pokémon Trainer on his 10th birthday. Ash is thrown for a loop when his first Pokémon turns out to be the now-iconic Pikachu, but they work together with the help of their friends Brock and Misty to become “the very best, like no one ever was.” The first season of Pokémon animation originally aired in Japan in 1997 and in the United States in 1998."

How come there getting before the USA? We made the dub we should have had a Blu-Ray already. With this will we the USA be getting one soon?

• Different licensing in the UK vs North America. They tend to get slightly different sets as well (like a complete FMAB set). I would assume North America would get a blu ray at some point, but it might be a while.

• @korrailli said in The UK is getting a Blu-Ray of Pokemon Season 1 Box Set where is it for the USA?:

Different licensing in the UK vs North America. They tend to get slightly different sets as well (like a complete FMAB set). I would assume North America would get a blu ray at some point, but it might be a while.

@korrailli But it same master. So it would not be that hard.

• @gohan6425 Actually, just looking it up, there seems to be a blu ray coming out in North America. It seems to be full season 1, and indigo League are both getting blu ray. I really don't know beyond this search though.
    https://bulbanews.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Indigo_League_to_be_released_on_Blu-ray_in_North_America

• Figures, right after I buy the season I see this :/ oh Well, I don't personally think Pokemon is a series that really benefits from blu ray, especially the indigo series.

• @emdier said in The UK is getting a Blu-Ray of Pokemon Season 1 Box Set where is it for the USA?:

Figures, right after I buy the season I see this :/ oh Well, I don't personally think Pokemon is a series that really benefits from bluesy, especially the indigo series.

@emdier What do you mean not benefited from Blu-ray Indigo season is the best in the whole series it deserves a Blu-ray release I have the DVD box sets but I want it in Blu-ray. If only we can get freaking Yu-Gi-Oh in Blu-ray will be good.

• What I mean by that is that Indigo has animation that, frankly, hasn't aged too well (I'm actually rewatching the series right now with my younger sister and there's a few times it's really pulled me out of the moment, how poor the animation is in spots. But i also think my nostalgia goggles are strong when it comes to this show).

I'm someone that only buys DVD unless it's a show/film where I really feel I will benefit from the clearer graphics and sound that bluray brings to the table. Pokemon is not, personally, one of those shows.

• @gohan6425 Forgive me for being curious, but.... How exactly would a blu-ray benefit you? You're using an old, standard definition cathode ray tube television. You wouldn't notice any real difference in video quality whether you're watching a DVD or a blu-ray.

It just seems like kind of an unnecessary upgrade, if you ask me. :\

• @emdier said in The UK is getting a Blu-Ray of Pokemon Season 1 Box Set where is it for the USA?:

What I mean by that is that Indigo has animation that, frankly, hasn't aged too well (I'm actually rewatching the series right now with my younger sister and there's a few times it's really pulled me out of the moment, how poor the animation is in spots. But i also think my nostalgia goggles are strong when it comes to this show).

I'm someone that only buys DVD unless it's a show/film where I really feel I will benefit from the clearer graphics and sound that bluray brings to the table. Pokemon is not, personally, one of those shows.

@emdier What the Season 1 Animation is EPIC! Are you kidding me right now??? Have you seen the current animation with Sun and Moon? It CRAP.

• @SpacemanHardy said in The UK is getting a Blu-Ray of Pokemon Season 1 Box Set where is it for the USA?:

@gohan6425 Forgive me for being curious, but.... How exactly would a blu-ray benefit you? You're using an old, standard definition cathode ray tube television. You wouldn't notice any real difference in video quality whether you're watching a DVD or a blu-ray.

It just seems like kind of an unnecessary upgrade, if you ask me. :\

@SpacemanHardy Uh yes it would the color would be brighter just like with the DBZ Blu-Ray Version. And beside I wanted to own it anyways it was the 1st anime I ever watch.

• @gohan6425 said in The UK is getting a Blu-Ray of Pokemon Season 1 Box Set where is it for the USA?:

@emdier said in The UK is getting a Blu-Ray of Pokemon Season 1 Box Set where is it for the USA?:

What I mean by that is that Indigo has animation that, frankly, hasn't aged too well (I'm actually rewatching the series right now with my younger sister and there's a few times it's really pulled me out of the moment, how poor the animation is in spots. But i also think my nostalgia goggles are strong when it comes to this show).

@emdier What the Season 1 Animation is EPIC! Are you kidding me right now??? Have you seen the current animation with Sun and Moon? It CRAP.

I will agree the ART is bad in Sun and Moon, but the ANIMATION is superior. It's smooth and quite lively (From what I have watched. I'll admit I have not been keeping up, just watched a few episodes leading to the recent return eps of Brock and Misty). But the poor art detracts.

Compare this, which is EXACTLY how it looks in the show,

alt text

I will say there are some scenes with a higher budget that were decent looking, but it's just not the norm for the show. The animation, I am sorry to say, is quite poor.

alt text

It is simply not a show that some shining and polishing is going to benefit.

Compare this to one of the more recent episodes,

alt text

Although personally, I was most impressed with the animation in the previous season, particularly the Greninja fight. I've never seen a Pokemon battle with quite that level of attention, choreography and budget outside of the films.

alt text

Look, I am not saying it's a bad show by any means. I JUST said I spent my own money to buy a copy so myself and my sister could watch it and I can relive some of the very fond memories I had from childhood. However, my nostalgia does not blind me to the fact that the first seasons of Pokemon, the animation wasn't great.

All that said though, I hope Pokemon finds it way again after Sun and Moon, in both the games and the television series. Because both of them were my least favorite by far in the franchise (I'm all for freshening up the formula but taking away gyms? I haven't even actually gotten all the way through the game yet I am so bummed)

@gohan6425 said in The UK is getting a Blu-Ray of Pokemon Season 1 Box Set where is it for the USA?:

@emdier said in The UK is getting a Blu-Ray of Pokemon Season 1 Box Set where is it for the USA?:

I will agree the ART is bad in Sun and Moon, but the ANIMATION is superior. It's smooth and quite lively (From what I have watched. I'll admit I have not been keeping up, just watched a few episodes leading to the recent return eps of Brock and Misty). But the poor art detracts.

Compare this, which is EXACTLY how it looks in the show,

alt text

I will say there are some scenes with a higher budget that were decent looking, but it's just not the norm for the show. The animation, I am sorry to say, is quite poor.

alt text

It is simply not a show that some shining and polishing is going to benefit.

Compare this to one of the more recent episodes,

alt text

Although personally, I was most impressed with the animation in the previous season, particularly the Greninja fight. I've never seen a Pokemon battle with quite that level of attention, choreography and budget outside of the films.

alt text

Look, I am not saying it's a bad show by any means. I JUST said I spent my own money to buy a copy so myself and my sister could watch it and I can relive some of the very fond memories I had from childhood. However, my nostalgia does not blind me to the fact that the first seasons of Pokemon, the animation wasn't great.

All that said though, I hope Pokemon finds it way again after Sun and Moon, in both the games and the television series. Because both of them were my least favorite by far in the franchise (I'm all for freshening up the formula but taking away gyms? I haven't even actually gotten all the way through the game yet I am so bummed)

@emdier No just no! Animation in sun and moon is flat out crap. It's a failed rip off attempt of Mickey Mouse. It's absolutely awful I don't know how you think it's that good. Animation is absolutely not superior it's absolutely horrible and should be thrown away and thrown out the key. Also it's not nostalgia that makes the animation better the animation is flat out better. Not to mention that way they made Ash look is absolutely stupid. professor Oaks hairstyle looks absolutely crap. New format for sun and moon is absolutely bad to. Then again it's not like Ash to win the Pokémon league anyway so does it madder at this point?

• @gohan6425 said in The UK is getting a Blu-Ray of Pokemon Season 1 Box Set where is it for the USA?:

lso it's not nostalgia that makes the animation better the animation is flat out better. Not to mention that way they made Ash look is absolutely stupid. professor Oaks hairstyle looks absolutely crap. New format for sun and moon is absolutely bad to. Then again it's not like Ash to win the Pokémon

Ok, I feel like you are arguing something that I am not saying.

ART and ANIMATION are NOT the same thing.

ART is the style of the characters, the backgrounds, etc. If we're going purely based off art, then yeah, I do agree the original is better.

However, ANIMATION is not even a contest here. Another example.

You are going to tell me that this,

alt text

Compares to this, which is lazy (Well, low budget) animation (A laser beam with a static image of Gyarados)

alt text

When it comes to liveliness of movement? Not only movement of the Gyarados itself, but the interaction and movement of the water and environment around it.

I am not saying the characters LOOK better, I am saying they MOVE better. The only time I would agree that the animation of the original series was superior is when it comes to the films, but obviously a larger budget and theatrical release will lead to more effort when it comes to animation.

I will say that it improved decently quickly, but this thread is about the Indigo league. I was merely stating that there is no reason I personally would see the value in getting a bluray box set, when I don't see how it could really be improved enough to justify it. Basically, in my opinion, it's a money grab. But good for the fans that want it! Hopefully it gets a release here.

• I think its more appropriate to say that the animation of the indigo league series is just flat.

But studio pierrot (that's the group who makes the anime right?) we should be thankful for trying different things, same with american animators doing all those cg kids shows. Kids don't care about how their TV shows look which allow for professionals to practice and get better with the animation styles they are using. Even if it looks terrible to adults, at least they are getting better at it because hand-drawing everything in animation takes a while to do compared to something CG.

Even the things that are more teen(ish) oriented, like RWBY, comparing season 1 to 2 is practically night and day, almost literally considering the backgrounds are just silhouettes in S1.

• I know OLM did the first series.

• @Nobu said in The UK is getting a Blu-Ray of Pokemon Season 1 Box Set where is it for the USA?:

I know OLM did the first series.

They're doing Sun and Moon as well so I'm going to assume they've done all seasons. They also do Yokai Watch.

• @Nobu said in The UK is getting a Blu-Ray of Pokemon Season 1 Box Set where is it for the USA?:

I know OLM did the first series.

My point still stands, they have the benefit of making a show for kids and are able to take animation liberties for the betterment of most.

• Pokemon SUN&MOON art and animation is the best the series ever had. People trashing on it...smh.

I personally wouldn't rewatch the original first few seasons. They just didn't age well. If I want some old school nostalgia I watch the original 3 movies. Now those are masterpieces even today. Mainly 2 and 3. And these have blurays btw.

• @GoldCrusader said in The UK is getting a Blu-Ray of Pokemon Season 1 Box Set where is it for the USA?:

Pokemon SUN&MOON art and animation is the best the series ever had. People trashing on it...smh.

I personally wouldn't rewatch the original first few seasons. They just didn't age well. If I want some old school nostalgia I watch the original 3 movies. Now those are masterpieces even today. Mainly 2 and 3. And these have blurays btw.

@GoldCrusader lmfao good joke bro. You like the Mickey Mouse animation that no one gives a damn about. original>>>>>>>>>>>> sun and moon.

• @gohan6425 Gohan, you really should give it a rest with this whole "STOP LIKING WHAT I DON'T LIKE!!" attitude. You certainly aren't making any friends that way. :\

• @SpacemanHardy said in The UK is getting a Blu-Ray of Pokemon Season 1 Box Set where is it for the USA?:

@gohan6425 Gohan, you really should give it a rest with this whole "STOP LIKING WHAT I DON'T LIKE!!" attitude. You certainly aren't making any friends that way. :\

HUGE SHOCKER! This just in:

@gohan6425 likes an original to something more than its current iteration and he's being pretty verbal about it. Color us all surprised!

Additional reading btw: http://www.animenewsnetwork.cc/feature/2016-12-09/why-does-pokemon-look-so-different-now/.109646