Why are there less English dubs of Japanese video games these days than anime?

• How come there are less dubs of video games from Japan than anime these days?

Why can't there be just as many Japanese video game English dubs as there are anime English dubs these days?

Lots of games that don't have English dubs do have Anime dubs, such as Senran Kagura, Sword Art Online, Attack On Titan, etc.

Back between 2000-2007, there were just as many Japanese video game English Dubs as there were Anime dubs. What happened?

• Didn't you ask this question not too long ago?

• @Spaceshotx7 said in Why are there less English dubs of Japanese video games these days than anime?:

Back between 2000-2007, there were just as many Japanese video game English Dubs as there were Anime dubs.

Which is to say, like, what, seven total?

Both localized video games and subtitled games released in North America have increased dramatically in the last 10 years. No amount of nonsense statistics you make up is going to change that fact

You asked this exact same question a month ago. Why are you incapable of understanding?

• Instead of replying and proving what jerks you are, why don't you just flag these posts as Spam and leave it alone... or, just not reply?

Takes a bigger person to walk away then it does to whine like a child.

• Sorry about that. I didn't know this was a necropost.

I was just comparing video games to anime that's all.

Can you please not lock this Spaceman Hardy? Spaceman Hardy has locked more topics than any other moderator on the forums, and seems to do it to at least 1 topic a day. He is the Ender of Topics.

Its like the moderators can lock any topic they feel like locking.

• Hardy for the longest time was also the ONLY active moderator on the site, so by default he would be the one most likely to lock topics.

And even if this thread does or doesn't get locked, we've discussed this exact topic like a month or two ago already.

• @Dhark said in Why are there less English dubs of Japanese video games these days than anime?:

Instead of replying and proving what jerks you are, why don't you just flag these posts as Spam and leave it alone... or, just not reply?

Two reasons

The original poster needs to understand what he or she is doing wrong, because otherwise he or she will be misinformed and/or unaware for as long as their posts continue

Flagging a post is not entertaining

Sorry if replying to someone and pointing out their mistakes makes someone sound like they're whining. I'll take your reply to heart

• @Riles

Good to know you like picking on people from behind a computer screen. The fact that I made a general statement and you not only took it personally but made an even more childish statement proving what kind of person you are.

Anyway, carry on picking on people like a little coward, I am done with this conversation.

• Yes. I, too, am done with this conversation. I wanted to let you know that I will also no longer be responding to anything from you which I consider inflammatory

Please do not misconstrue this post as a reply to your statement as a means to retaliate. I merely wanted to let you know of my current status in this conversation, which I have previously stated as absent. I have no interest in continuing, so I will appreciate it if you did not reply to me either

If you do find it necessary to respond to me again, I may need to revise my previous statement in leaving this conversation as I see fit. But this designation will only be revised if necessary

• @Dhark said in Why are there less English dubs of Japanese video games these days than anime?:

Instead of replying and proving what jerks you are, why don't you just flag these posts as Spam and leave it alone... or, just not reply?

The problem is in the past when a mod closes his post he creates a new one immediately. If everyone just ignores the thread he keeps bumping about how his voice doesn't matter (or something like that). There's no winning with his posts no matter what we do.

• The answer, if anyone actually wants to know and sees this thread, is a lack of popularity.

They don't make enough, therefore they're not worth investing in.

• The answer would be costs, constraints and rights. The video game company gets the rights and it decides whether or not it wants to localize a game and how it goes about it. Voice localization would require recompiling the game with different assets on top of hiring voice talent. Whereas subtitling likely already exists in Japanese and such a localization would only require translation costs and minor development.

So basically, it's either it's not profitable enough and or they know people are willing to read text in video games so a dub wouldn't drastically increase sales.

• @Spaceshotx7 said in Why are there less English dubs of Japanese video games these days than anime?:

Sorry about that. I didn't know this was a necropost.

I was just comparing video games to anime that's all.

Can you please not lock this Spaceman Hardy? Spaceman Hardy has locked more topics than any other moderator on the forums, and seems to do it to at least 1 topic a day. He is the Ender of Topics.

That is mostly because he's pretty much the only mod on these forums.

Its like the moderators can lock any topic they feel like locking.

Well.. I mean... they can...

@Riles

Good to know you like picking on people from behind a computer screen. The fact that I made a general statement and you not only took it personally but made an even more childish statement proving what kind of person you are.

Anyway, carry on picking on people like a little coward, I am done with this conversation.

I'm confused, you are insulting someone for insulting someone? Just saying that this is hypocritical.

• @emdier @dannomite

Thank you, that is actually good to know. I thought the OP had a good question. I like VNs and such so it is not much of a hindrance to me since most are in text so I can read it. I know people like other games that are ported without an English dub. Not just Japanese games either. There are lots of Russian games that I have seen without dubs as well.

As a new person to the forums to see people bullying the OP is frustrating when the question is a valid one. New people may not have seen the other posts, doesn't mean that people with nothing better to do should bash the guy cause they are tired of seeing the same posts. It is up to the Mods to decide what to do with repeat posts and people who don't know when to stop, not a community of bullies as I saw. That gives new people a bad view of the community as a whole that they are thinking about being an active member of.

• But it's not a good question. The assumption that there are less English-localized games today is patently untrue. There are more English-translated video games today than there were 10 years ago. If the question was something like, why are there more games without an English localization, that would be a good question and would be easy enough to answer

But it's a pointless question either way, because the exact same question was asked by the exact same person in July, except this time they posed it as a question instead of a statement. The discourse was done

My assumption is that the original poster goes around several sites and asks the same questions and makes the same statements for the sake of awareness, even if that awareness is misguided or completely untrue. In this case, he or she forgot that they had already brought up this topic on these forums

If someone completely new asked the question, I wouldn't have a problem explaining it again and clearing up the misunderstanding. But I'm not going to reenact Groundhog Day just because I don't know who's reading

I don't care if it's a bad question, because I have bad questions myself. I do care if it's a bad question that's asked more than once by the same person. That is inexcusable and should be addressed

But I guess I'm biased either way, because I also know the original poster has a history of meticulously harassing people on social media and making socially unacceptable - if not flat-out racist - remarks about Japanese language and speech

• @Riles You should never assume anything. For all you know a poster could be younger or never had the opportunity to think about how businesses operate or the fun world of international intellectual property rights. It's easy to forget that wisdom and common sense are born of ignorance.

If reading or answering trivial questions irritates you, simply ignore it/laugh at it in your head and let someone else expend their energy.

• Sure, but why ask the same question a second time? Are you hoping for a different explanation the next time? I don't think age is a factor at that point

Like I said, I don't care about trivial questions, everyone in the world doesn't know something until they ask about it or learn it. That's no problem. But I just don't see the point in asking the same question on a forum, twice, three months apart

• Again. ignoring does wonders. If you feel his posts are spamming up the board, then contact a mod in private.

• @dannomite the thing is, he keeps bumping posts no one posts in (wish I could think of an example) and has thrown fits and continued spamming the forums if a mod locks his posts
    Exhibit A: https://www.funimation.com/forum/topic/13433/spaceman-hardy-is-starting-to-annoy-me
    Exhibit B: https://www.funimation.com/forum/topic/11246/can-you-please-stop-locking-my-topics-spaceman-hardy.

He has also harassed Funi staff of Twitter, repeatedly says Japanese people sound like chipmunks and constantly asks the same questions over and over so while I agree it's not right most regulars are just sick of him and know ignoring and reporting doesn't work.

• @dannomite said in Why are there less English dubs of Japanese video games these days than anime?:

@Riles You should never assume anything. For all you know a poster could be younger or never had the opportunity to think about how businesses operate or the fun world of international intellectual property rights. It's easy to forget that wisdom and common sense are born of ignorance.

If reading or answering trivial questions irritates you, simply ignore it/laugh at it in your head and let someone else expend their energy.

The issue is that this isn't the first second or third time he has asked or said his piece on this. And if we did ignore it he'd still add on to it asking "does no one know?"

• @darthrutsula40 Then you ignore that, and the next, until they get tired of asking or the forum moderator tells them to knock it off.

At worst, someone will bite. But as in my case, you begin to see patterns, so I see the username, and just bypass the thread all together.