Comparison.

• Not too long ago, i highlighted the story of a Google employee who was fired due to an opposing viewpoint. Recently, Sportscaster Jemele Hill expressed an opinion that ran contrary to the values of ESPN, yet, she was not fired. Whereas Google made a colossal blunder, i believe ESPN made the right decision. Once again, i don’t believe you necessarily take away someone’s livelihood just for a difference of opinion even if it isn’t the most tactful. It’s funny. ESPN did exactly what i recommended should be the correct course of action in situations such as these as i outline here i.e., verbal warning. My only hope is that this continues to hold. Hopefully, people will not get riled up and start in with “boycotts” causing their ratings to fall giving higher propensity to let Ms. Hill go. We are watching you, ESPN. Do not make the same mistake Google made.

Don’t let anyone fool you. The US has had the success it has due to diversity of thought and opinion. Once that is lost, so goes the Country.

Take care,
    P.J.

• I personally, agree with most of what you're saying. Though, I can (kind of) understand why Google made the decision they did. Some people don't distinguish the difference between the companies thoughts, and the thoughts of their employees. By letting that staff member go, Google clearly separates themselves from that (potentially) vocal employee, and from that position can put a firm stance against/for/remain neutral on other views.
    Whereas the way ESPN handled it, is (in my opinion) better. Though it could look like that staff member got off scot-free; OR on the other hand the staff member could cause a huge debate/argument via social media with the defence of them being "silenced by their employer". In the latter case ESPN could be blamed for threatening freedom of speech.

Still if you don't want to support Google, I cannot recommend DuckDuckGo enough. They're a search engine that doesn't collect data on their users, and in my experience better than most (if not all) search engines like it. Though Google's algorithm is still on top.

• Hopefully, people will not get riled up and start in with “boycotts” causing their ratings to fall giving higher propensity to let Ms. Hill go.

Boycott one of the biggest networks on TV? I wouldn't boycott them for terminating someone's career, I'd boycott them for taking 25% of my cable bill no matter if I watch it or not.

And political views are different from discriminatory views. I could call Trump a White Supremacist and no one will care, but if I said "women definitely should be making less than me because they will never work as hard as me" then we have some problems.

I generally don't like political talk because it doesn't go anywhere, everyone already has their stance and its not likely to change.

• @darthrutsula40 said in Comparison.:

I could call Trump a White Supremacist and no one will care,

you seem to be forgetting the kind of person Trump is because he certainly seems to care.