Dragon Ball Online

• Recently the mmo Dragon Ball Online was shutdown after running for almost three years. Though it was released in South Korea, Hong Kong and Taiwan, it seemed odd that it was never available in the West or even Japan. Akira Toriyama was even involved in the game supervising the development, story, characters and art so it's safe to say it was official and possibly even canon.

Dragon Ball Online was set around 200 years after the end of Dragon Ball Z where a number of notable events have taken place. The main villain is a demon named Miira who plans to conquer Earth and take over all of time with the help of Freeza's remnants and the Red Pants Army (a successor to the Red Ribbon Army). Players could create a character with the choice of three species: Human, Namekians and Majin. Players could also travel back in time with the help of Time Patrol Trunks and meet notable Dragon Ball characters such as Goku, Piccolo, Tien, Vegeta, Nappa and Dr. Gero and either help or battle them. New characters introduced were Mirra, Android 9 (Commander Red as an android), Miss Buu, Cell-X, Android 8000 and Android 19000. Players could also gather the Dragon Balls and use them to summon Shenron who can grant players new abilities and upgrades.

There were talks of a worldwide release but nothing ever surfaced. There's always a chance that the game could be picked up again in the future especially since thousands of Dragon Ball fans have been wanting to play it. Many had found ways of playing the game through the Korean client and unofficial English patches. Perhaps Funimation could be involved like they have with previous Dragon Ball games as well as Raw Online, Remnant Knights and Champions of Regnum, but in the end it would most likely be up to Toei and Namco Bandai to bring it back.

Discuss the game here and your thoughts on it.

• When I first heard about it I was like "Damn this is a MMO which I would pay for to play like i wouldve for a pokemon MMO". I was waiting for ages for a good DBZ RPG in 3D . Hearing this project failed eventuelly is really disapointing.