make funimation great again

• are you sick of politics getting shoved into your anime show me politically correct kind it says memes and things are racist join the make funimation great again protest all you need to do is post dank memes after every common do you post on the funimatio website post the words make funimation great again

• I had a hurricane rip through my city at 2am and left me without A.C. so I'm extremely sticky and miserable, but this post is what's going to keep me up for the next several nights

• What is this another stragler that is offended by a couple words that fit the context and Japanese culture? localization has to happen to make a good dub people need to get over it if someone is a sub fan just watch the subs dubs aren't intended for them anyway. That first part was a legitimate question because it's hard to tell what you actually mean with your grammer. All complaing about single words does is cause dub scripts to become more censored that's why all cuss words in My First Girlfriend Is A Gal are censored and why back in the day they started censoring cuss words in prison school halfway through the airing thats why highschool DXD BorN's script was written to be more PG instead of the way it was in previous seasons people need to lighten up with trying to change things because they are sensitive and things don't cater to their every belief, whats next people getting all butthurt if they hear the word wall in an anime it's getting rediculous.

• censoring the swearing in broadcast dubs is a mystery but i'm pretty sure its not due to people complaining. they get removed for home video and in several cases, like Prison School and Gangta, more is added. Tyson's just not a good writer. His overwhelming desire to add as many references as he can think of is one of many reasons why BorN's dub is pretty weak

• @Getchman I don't know in seven mortal sins there was a ton of swearing even the f word a few times none of that was censored and then the two season late dragon maid complaing happened around the time for the new anime season now shows this season seem to have more script censorship seems to me eveytime people start complaining about nothing thats when censorship happens. Also who was the script writer for the first season of highschool dxd?

• @Riles Dude i hope you're doing okay. I knowing off topic but I just wanna check in

• His overwhelming desire to add as many references as he can think of is one of many reasons why BorN's dub is pretty weak

BorN itself was pretty weak, much less the dub.

@mrsatan123 said in make funimation great again:

are you sick of politics getting shoved into your anime show me politically correct kind it says memes and things are racist join the make funimation great again protest all you need to do is post dank memes after every common do you post on the funimatio website post the words make funimation great again

I don't even know what we're referencing here. Is it the Dragon Maid dub that people complain about even though Lucoa pretty much said the same thing in both dub and sub just differently? The gamergate comment from Prison School? All the memes in the Neptunia? How about all the anime or gaming references that are aplenty in dubs and/or subs but are missing in the subs or dubs?

• @lcdude

yeah, its very inconsistent, which just makes it more confusing. what I do know is that fanserivce, and some comedy shows are still pretty liberal in their scripts, so complaining seems to be falling on deaf ears.

Jamie Marchi wrote seasons 1 and 2 of DxD. bother seasons were generally consistent in writing quality. to me, it felt Tyson was a step down for season 3. Different writing style from Jamie and felt very different. Kinda like going from the first half of Garo with completely normal dialogue, then having to endure the second half written by Tatum and his flowery Shakespearean prose. No attempt to match the first half, and just felt like a completely different show, is what I'm getting at

@darthrutsula40
    I agree.

• @Getchman Yeah I think Jamie Marchi should write the script season 4 whenever it happens even if they have to wait for the bluray release to dub it. Also switching script writers half way through a show shouldn't be done they should know that with how many years they have been dubbing anime.

• @darthrutsula40 said in make funimation great again:

All the memes in the Neptunia? How about all the anime or gaming references that are aplenty in dubs and/or subs but are missing in the subs or dubs?

I feel like memes, English slang, references to certain things are needed to make a good dub other wise it just feels bland and lazy and the voice acting doesn't have enough emotion, doesn't sound genuine or like voice actors are even having a good time doing it.

• @lcdude said in make funimation great again:

@darthrutsula40 said in make funimation great again:

All the memes in the Neptunia? How about all the anime or gaming references that are aplenty in dubs and/or subs but are missing in the subs or dubs?

I feel like memes, English slang, references to certain things are needed to make a good dub other wise it just feels bland and lazy and the voice acting doesn't have enough emotion, doesn't sound genuine or like voice actors are even having a good time doing it.

I don't feel memes should be in a dub. Not everyone will get it unless you lived through it. Hell I first heard "arrow to the knee" when it was on its way out. It being used in Neptunia feels like a reference that nobody will know like next year. (I moreso consider arrow to the knee as a meme than a gaming reference) Jokes and slang are pretty much fair game in my book and politics doesn't really have much place in a dub as well (considering that while its topical today it may not be next month). Remember that gamer-gate comment in Prison School? (I don't, but i know it was a big deal when it happened).

• @darthrutsula40 said in make funimation great again:

I don't feel memes should be in a dub.

what about when memes are already in the Japanese version? Steins;Gate springs to mind as using a bunch of 2ch memes and I'm sure there's other shows.

• @Doublethree100 said in make funimation great again:

@darthrutsula40 said in make funimation great again:

I don't feel memes should be in a dub.

what about when memes are already in the Japanese version? Steins;Gate springs to mind as using a bunch of 2ch memes and I'm sure there's other shows.

Oh, and they alienate the... alien... viewers.

But its not like we're the intended audience when it comes to a japanese dub no?

• I love it. We're going to make this place great coming from Mr. s. I've heard it all (laughs)

I agree with Darth, what shows are you specifically talking about? Until that is known, this is probably an exercise in futility...

By the way, what is your avatar? Is that one of the mob fish that was going after Todd Haberkorn in My Bride Is A Mermaid?

Regards,
    P.J.

• @darthrutsula40 I mean when it comes to dubbing why not replace Japanese memes with English/American memes? You need to replace them with something.

• I did think all the references and memes in the Neptune anime was a bit excessive, until i started playing re;birth

• Not really fond of how Funi handled the latest episode of My First Girlfriend is a Gal. I'm fine with a couple thrown-in jokes every once in a while, but did we really need the comments about "SJW millennials"? I just want a localization of the Japanese script, not political controversy.

• It's all fun and games until something mean hits too close to home. Seems appropriate to me that a highly misogynistic and sexist Hasegawa unidentified old man with sunglasses would complain about women and youth

Not that it matters, since SJW is a derogatory term and not a political one

@Queenira said in make funimation great again:

@Riles Dude i hope you're doing okay. I knowing off topic but I just wanna check in

Yep I am fine, thanks for asking

• This thread is more like,

Make Gramm*er Great Again...

• @thegrandalliance said in make funimation great again:

This thread is more like,

Make Gramm*er Great Again...

I agree with that, I read this before anyone else had time to reply yesterday and I thought it was just another spammer.

• @pokedude900 said in make funimation great again:

Not really fond of how Funi handled the latest episode of My First Girlfriend is a Gal. I'm fine with a couple thrown-in jokes every once in a while, but did we really need the comments about "SJW millennials"? I just want a localization of the Japanese script, not political controversy.

Be more specific about said comments is it making fun of them or what I haven't seen it yet, as far as I've seen the dub has been great because you can achieve the correct level of thot needed that isn't possible in Japanese. like I said localization is needed to make a good dub otherwise you have senpais, kawaiis, kuns and desus left in as well as all other Japanese words jokes and references that don't translate thats why sentai's dubs are considered the worst quality ever, what were seeing is anime just becoming too popular and it being in the eyes of the overly sensitive and easily T.R.I.G.G.E.R.E.D nobody whined nearly as much as people do today it's so stupid I wonder how they're going to dub AOT when people start considering the word wall offensive, I also find it weird when sentai has put the occasional homophobic slur in their dubs and nobody ever said a word why is it only a funimation issue.