Akame Ga Kill Anime Pre-Release Discussion Thread

• http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-01-20/akame-ga-kill-dark-action-fantasy-manga-gets-tv-anime
    Since this manga series is notorious for violent deaths of characters, this might be the next Attack On Titan.

You can discuss on what should be covered in the anime series. Should it be an original story with some manga ideas or should it cover the manga completely?

• And yet another thread ignored.

• I'm not sure there's a whole lot for people to talk about at this point since it was only just announced.

I'm willing to check it out whenever it ends up airing, but I know nothing about it beyond the plot synopsis in that article. It sounds okay but I'm not particularly excited about it.

• @Firefly:

I'm not sure there's a whole lot for people to talk about at this point since it was only just announced.

I'm willing to check it out whenever it ends up airing, but I know nothing about it beyond the plot synopsis in that article. It sounds okay but I'm not particularly excited about it.

Read the manga then.

• It's not licensed in English and I try to avoid reading scans whenever possible.

• @Firefly:

It's not licensed in English and I try to avoid reading scans whenever possible.

Just wait for the anime series to air then you can decide.

• Eh I tend to stay away from stuff where lots of people die, I like anime girls to stay alive.

• I want to read/see this but I can't till they translate it. I am interested though. I like Hellsing Ultimate so it has my attention.

• However I will say I didn't really care for AoT, but my g/f loved it.

• I will be watching this out of curiosity, and because even with the "violent death" being commonplace I've heard the manga is good nonetheless.

• I thought the first episode was alright. It pretty much followed the first manga chapter to the letter. The pacing seemed a bit rushed in the first half, but it flowed more smoothly once the carnage started. I'm curious to see how much it'll cover in 24 episodes.

• Eh, just got done with the first episode and it was okay. It looks and sounds good, but it didn't really do much for me. Some shows do well balancing serious and funny, but I don't think it's really working here. Things also happened a little quickly in the second half and I didn't really feel invested in what was happening.

! I'm guessing there's a reason why these guys are torturing people like that, and I do want a reason instead of them just being evil for the sake of it so if no reason is given I will be very disappointed. I knew about the torture thing going in so I already knew what happened to his friends as soon as Aria said something along the lines of Tatsumi being with them again soon.

I've read that the first chapter of the manga wasn't that great either, and this episode is essentially just the first chapter, so hopefully things get better.

• @Firefly:

It looks and sounds good, but it didn't really do much for me. Some shows do well balancing serious and funny, but I don't think it's really working here. Things also happened a little quickly in the second half and I didn't really feel invested in what was happening.

That was my take-away as well. The assassin character and her posse were also painfully generic.

I'm also hoping that the nutballs in this one weren't simply "evil for evil's sake" but the way the show handled the "big reveal" didn't exactly leave me with the thought that my hope was well placed.

BTW,

! Why wasn't the main character drugged and taken to the torture hut too? He was there for 2 nights too…

• @sidereal_presence:

I'm also hoping that the nutballs in this one weren't simply "evil for evil's sake" but the way the show handled the "big reveal" didn't exactly leave me with the thought that my hope was well placed.

I've done some more reading on the series and some manga readers have said that there is a reason, whether or not that reason will be satisfactory remains to be seen, but I'm happy that some sort of reason has been confirmed.

@sidereal_presence:

! Why wasn't the main character drugged and taken to the torture hut too? He was there for 2 nights too…

I thought the same… Definitely odd.

! Maybe they were having fun toying with him like that? It's not like they had to rush things, he was completely trusting of them. The longer they kept up the ruse of being friendly with him could have made the betrayal and subsequent torture more "fun" because Tatsumi would have been more shocked.

• @St0ck:

Eh I tend to stay away from stuff where lots of people die, I like anime girls to stay alive.

Someone with a Higurashi avatar is saying this?

All jokes aside, the first episode was alright. I'll watch more but so far it's not my favorite of the Summer season shows I've picked up.

• I'm finding it extremely difficult to take this show seriously or become invested in anything that's happening. The explanations of Akame and Mine's tragic pasts didn't leave any impact on me, and the tone is really light for what's happening.

At this point, I feel no tension in this series but since it is 2 cours I will give it the benefit of the doubt that the tone will shift to become more serious soon.

It's an entertaining watch, but not a whole lot more.

• It's been OK, but not great so far. However, things should pick up very soon when the fighting starts.

• @Firefly:

I'm finding it extremely difficult to take this show seriously or become invested in anything that's happening.

I don't think this is the kind of show that's meant to be taken seriously.

• Comments from fans of the manga made me think otherwise.

Apparently the story should get really dark and serious soon, but I was under the impression that it was going to start that way as well. It's my own fault for reading comments and letting the hype get to me, I'll admit.

The show has a serious premise and is trying to sell its setting as harsh and dark with the elite all being brutal pigs who get kicks from torturing, murdering, and raping people. Yet so far it's not taking any of this seriously. I suppose it's trying to get me to feel for these characters right now before the heavy stuff sets in so that I care when one of them is killed, but it's not really working.

• @Firefly:

Apparently the story should get really dark and serious soon, but I was under the impression that it was going to start that way as well. It's my own fault for reading comments and letting the hype get to me, I'll admit.

If the show does start taking itself seriously then I don't know if I will be able to take it seriously as that would be a complete reversal of what it will have been up to that turning point.