Choose which shows you dub better

• In terms of what you've dubbed, I'm pretty happy with a few of your decisions. Particularly Gamers! and Tsurezure Children. However the shows you dub often would implicitly lose something from being dubbed.

I'm looking at two shows in particular to criticize you on your decision with.

The first, Konbini Kareshi (Which I refuse to call by it's english title, as it being legible makes the title sound stupid). It's an entertaining show, however, its animation obviously cuts corners. It's something you can get past reading subtitles, but not while watching dubs. This is exasperated by the show having generic (cheap generic to be precise) visuals. It's not a show you'd lose anything from by reading subtitles and there really is no reason for it to be dubbed. Additionally, not that it matters, but this is set very definitively in Japan and it only makes sense that the characters speak japanese (Unlike princess principal, which I know for certain that you had no power to dub anyway). There's no conceivable reason to dub this show other than dubbing for the sake of dubbing.

The second, Mahoujin Guruguru. This show was on crunchyroll, and since your in a partnership with them, it only makes sense that you could dub it if you desired. It's a comedy anime, meaning it would benefit strongly from being dubbed. It has great visuals, with a large amount of motion and diversity. It is actually good (Which is a hell of a lot more than I can say for a lot of what you dub). And it has a high pace that makes reading subtitles a challenge. It would be wondrously fit to be dubbed, and yet it died for shudders Konbini Kareshi.

I don't mean to undermine the idea that this is a business. But by only dubbing what's popular, and not what needs a dub, nor what is worth the viewers time. You are being destructive to both your own service and the industry (Dubbing industry, not the anime industry).

Then again, I have no real say in the matter. So just pretend I chanted all this outside your offices in protest.

• a show not getting a broadcast dub, does not mean it wont get one later.

• As Getch said they could always license and dub these shows at a later date, it just means that for whatever reason at this time they're not able to do a Broadcast Dub. I don't know what factors go into choosing those, maybe it's the materials available, or just in general some other factors but shows like Magical Circle Guru Guru could still be licensed and released later.

• It could also very well have to do with licensing restrictions from the Japanese production companies. They may not want certain shows to be dubbed immediately, OR they may require certain other shows to include a dub as soon as possible.

If there's anything I've learned about this business, it's that the production companies can be a bit on the kooky side sometimes.

• I don't mean to undermine the idea that this is a business. But by only dubbing what's popular, and not what needs a dub, nor what is worth the viewers time. You are being destructive to both your own service and the industry (Dubbing industry, not the anime industry).

Why... wouldn't they want to dub the popular ones? They're cash cows and people wouldn't want to wait longer on those ones if they decided to not dub them when they had the chance.

Additionally, not that it matters, but this is set very definitively in Japan and it only makes sense that the characters speak japanese (Unlike princess principal, which I know for certain that you had no power to dub anyway).

Dude I totally get it. Really I do. But not everyone likes to/are able to read what they are watching either because of a learning disability like dyslexia or some other reading/learning inability.

There's no conceivable reason to dub this show other than dubbing for the sake of dubbing.

There's only like 6 six shows that Funimation has had that they didn't dub. So I'm going to go with, they mostly dub for the sake of dubbing, as long as it pays the bills there's no reason not to.

• Moving this to Funimation General. The Suggestions Box is for FunimationNow site and app suggestions.

• People still believe shows being dubbed ruin the industry I wonder when that trend will die, it's so stupid to believe that, they're releasing shows in North America an English speaking market they're obviously going to dub them, the ones destructive to the industry and themselves are the companies who release shows sub-only in the English speaking market, sentai mainly refuses to dub shows and it got so bad for them they could only license 1 or 2 shows a season and finally they decided to dub a couple things so they could actually make some profit so they could temporarly be pulled out of the hole so they could go back to buying up licenses to put out as many sub-only shows as possible that's a way more destructive to the industry and the company if you ask me, then you have aniplex and pony canyon who can only make a profit by releasing their sub-only releases at Japanese prices which is also super destructive to the industry.

• @lcdude said in Choose which shows you dub better:

then you have aniplex and pony canyon who can only make a profit by releasing their sub-only releases at Japanese prices which is also super destructive to the industry.

At least Aniplex does dubs, even if its selective. PonyCan to my knowledge does not, and quite honestly I feel that a small handful of PonyCan shows could be dubbed and be pretty successful (Rokka and Yuki Yuna are two I can readily name).

• They did dub yuki yuna

• @darthrutsula40 Sound Eupho too. Welcome to the Ballroom has a similar appeal to Haikyuu so maybe if Sentai's dub does good that.

• @lcdude said in Choose which shows you dub better:

People still believe shows being dubbed ruin the industry I wonder when that trend will die, it's so stupid to believe that

I'm not saying that dubbing anime is bad to the industry. Here is my concern

• A show like Konbini Kareshi was dubbed, which is a lesser experience dubbed because of the cheapness of animation,
    • Mahoujin Guruguru was not dubbed, whereas the pace of that is very fast, and the visuals are actually quite good, Meaning it would benefit from a dub.

So Funimation is allowing us to realize the faults in Konbini Kareshi and preventing the enjoyment of Mahoujin Guruguru to the fullest.

These two shows are just specific examples, I could name other shows, but Konbini Kareshi is the only relatively cheap show I am still watching (So I am fit to make a judgement), and Mahoujin Guruguru is the only decent comedy this season Funimation hasn't dubbed,

• @Getchman said in Choose which shows you dub better:

They did dub yuki yuna

@Doublethree100 said in Choose which shows you dub better:

@darthrutsula40 Sound Eupho too. Welcome to the Ballroom has a similar appeal to Haikyuu so maybe if Sentai's dub does good that.

Wouldn't be the first and won't be the last time I was wrong about something. Not like its easy to keep track of these things considering you can't stream a lot of the non-Sentai Funi or Viz dubs.

• @darthrutsula40 sorry I meant Sound Eupho would be good for a dub not that it was.

• @Doublethree100 Indeed there decision not to dub it still baffles me.

• @MRy27 said in Choose which shows you dub better:

@Doublethree100 Indeed there decision not to dub it still baffles me.

Just remember, the Hibike Euphonium dub died for the Hajimete no Gal dub (Not literally, they had no relation to eachother and the reasons were completely different, but I hope my point still stands)

• I guarantee you if almost any other company like Sentai or Funimation got the license, we would've gotten a dub for Sound Euphonium.

• @Tenderizer said in Choose which shows you dub better:

@MRy27 said in Choose which shows you dub better:

@Doublethree100 Indeed there decision not to dub it still baffles me.

Just remember, the Hibike Euphonium dub died for the Hajimete no Gal dub (Not literally, they had no relation to eachother and the reasons were completely different, but I hope my point still stands)

what is your point, exactly? from where I'm sitting, you just look like one more person upset that they didn't get what they wanted and has come to rant about it and pretend they know what is right thing to do.