Why I believe FUNimation should consider giving the the Dragon Box's a re-print

• I've been thinking about this for a while and I decided to finally start a thread giving my reasons why I think FUNimation should consider about a possible reprint of the Dragon Boxes, now before people start giving me the whole "The DBOX's were always intended to be limited print it's your fault if you missed out" talk just hear me out, now as a lot of DBZ fans have discovered over the past few years, FUNimation's DBOX sets have been going "out of stock" and commanding insane prices on the second hand market, the official reason that they've given for the sets being out of print is they were planned to be limited print items from the beginning, however if one looks at the actual marketing material and original online listings for these sets, than many people would realize that the DBOX's were never marketed as a limited print item, now some people may argue that FUNimation did say that they were going to be limited print in that ANN podcast they conducted back in 2010 (I originally said it was in their original press release back when they announced their acquisition of the DBOX's and that was a major screw up on my part and I gave people inaccurate information and for that I apologize), and while it's true that FUNimation did say in that podcast that the DBOX's were going to be limited print, the problem is if people didn't know about or listen to that ANN podcast, then how were those people supposed to know that the DBOX's were going to be limited print? The marketing FUNimation did doesn't help matters either, absolutely none of the DBOX announcement and release trailers ever mention the words limited print or anything to that extent in them, the same thing can be said about their online listings on major retail sites no where was there any disclaimer stating that the DBOX's were "limited print", but the biggest tell all in this situation is FUNimation's very own dragonballz.com which has information about the DBOX's and wouldn't you know it no mention of them being limited print anywhere on the DBOX information page (you'd think that FUNimation's very own website would have such an important bit of info but alas it does not), It is because of these factors that I ask FUNimation to consider doing a reprint of the DBOX's so people who didn't know about them being limited print the first time could have a second chance to own the series in this way, and if a reprint of the DBOX's cannot happen I would like to ask FUNimation to consider the idea of using their DBOX footage to make DBZ part sets in a similar vein that you did with Kai so people can have a DBZ release with the quality footage the DBOX's have.

• Funimation didn't just make that release limited to mess with/annoy fans, I'm guessing the total number of available copies was set by the Toei contract long before they went to print.
    Or maybe Funimation didn't think demand for a "harcore" release of DBZ was going to be a major seller.
    What ever the reason if Funimation had the ability and thought they'd make a profit from re-releasing the Dragon Boxes they would have released them long ago, there's something preventing a release and it's not just because Funimation said this was a limited run in a podcast (although the fact that they said so in the first place points to them knowing they would not be able to re-release the sets).

• @St0ck:

Funimation didn't just make that release limited to mess with/annoy fans, I'm guessing the total number of available copies was set by the Toei contract long before they went to print.
    Or maybe Funimation didn't think demand for a "harcore" release of DBZ was going to be a major seller.
    What ever the reason if Funimation had the ability and thought they'd make a profit from re-releasing the Dragon Boxes they would have released them long ago, there's something preventing a release and it's not just because Funimation said this was a limited run in a podcast (although the fact that they said so in the first place points to them knowing they would not be able to re-release the sets).

I'm not saying that FUNimation is saying that the DBOX's are limited print to mess with the fans or anything like that, however what I want to know is if they were supposed to be limited print, how come they didn't make that fact clear in their official marketing or advertising whatsoever? I could be naive but common sense is telling me that if an item is meant to be limited print the one releasing said product would have a disclaimer or notice on the advertisements and listings that the item is limited print, hell even Toei's own Dragon Box sites when they were announced made it clear to the customer that the sets were going to be limited print items, FUNimation's announcements and listings on the other hand made no mention of the sets being limited print (you can't deny the facts no matter how hard you try), now if FUNimation had mentioned in the DBOX trailers and online listings them being limited print, I wouldn't have any complaints at all and then it would be my fault since they would have made it clear to the consumer, however the fact that they did not do this is the main reason I'm making this argument and I believe that alot of people will agree with me on this.

• Oh I'm not arguing with you on how it was advertised, I honestly don't know since I've never been a fan of the series.
    I'm just saying that I guarantee you Funimation has looked into doing reprints of the Dragon Box sets, but because of financial or contractual issues the haven't. I understand your angry that they were not clear enough about how limited this release would be, but if Funimation can't make a profit or is contractually unable to re-release the sets there's really nothing they can do.

• Why re-release the dragon boxes when there's now a bluray release that is new and essentially the same thing, but "better"?

Not being a fan of radical video alteration myself, I'd prefer that the Level sets become a thing.

• The new blurays are atrocious. Saturated colors and intrusive grain removal, coupled with the usual widescreen cropping shenanigans (though admittedly the framing is a tad more selective than with the Orange Bricks) are enough reasons to avoid them. I'd take the Dragon Boxes over them any day, even though the footage from the boxes is a tad too pinkish for my taste.

Obviously, the Level Sets would have been the ideal release if Funimation had been able to market them better (a good place to start would have been not releasing them right on the heels of the Kai sets and Dragon Boxes). Still, if we've learned anything over the years, there will always be a new DBZ release on the horizon.

Personally, I'd much rather have the Dragon Ball Dragon Boxes than a reprint of the DBZ Dragon Boxes. I've always considered the original Dragon Ball the superior half of the series. Until DBZ receives a proper affordable release in the States, the Kai DVDs/Blurays will do for me.

• I bet there will be a Blu-ray upscale of the Dragon Boxes some day

• …Kai is almost as bad as the new blurays when it comes to visual quality. :(

The Dragon Boxes < Level Set, of course.

• If Japan gets blu-ray Dragon Boxes then we are for sure to get at least a DBZ blu-ray box if not the original and GT. Honestly if they release Dragon Boxes of the original and GT on DVD then I will but them and pay the price for the DBZ Boxes and I will never fool with any future DBZ blu-ray release no matter what even though those Boxes would be the only DVD's in my collection of movies. Then the blu-ray triple movie packs and DBZ Kai on blu ray and I'm all set. Too bad it won't happen.

• Hunting around for them on the aftermarket leads to heart-attack-inducing prices. I would assume that it's a number of factors. First, Toei are probably very strict about how many can be printed in the US and how they can be distributed by FUNimation. Second, the physical media market is so dead that outside of major release and niche labels like Twilight Time and Criterion, the market for it is pretty small. Third, it's sort of dicey. They obviously wouldn't want to over-produce quantities and lose money, but the fans who buy this are a small number and they can't really have some for everyone. Plus, there's the issue of the prices. It'd be kind of nice if they did one for the original series and the movies as well, but I don''t see that happening. Personally, I'm most frustrated by the fact the post-Dragon Box releases are all cropped.

• I was one of the few people who didn't even realize these Dragon boxes would be limited. Big DBZ fan but the price for the the full set of Dragon Boxes….I just don't have that kind money lol. Tell you what, I think they will be out again but in Blu Ray format so I'm going to hold off on buying ANY of the DBZ series on bluray. Not going to buy that twice. Is there any hope 😕