The First Anime You Saw

• What was the first anime you saw? I first saw Dragon Ball Z when I was about 2 or 3 years old.

• Sailor Moon, back when it first started airing in September of 1995. I was almost 8 years old

• Dragon ball or Zoids, i can't really remember which one because i was only 4 at the time but i know it was one of those two.

• Samurai Pizza Cats! Fun stuff, fun stuff.

• I think for me it was Blood+, good stuff.

• My life of anime:

The first thing I ever saw was probably Pokémon. But like others have mentioned, there were others that caught my youthful eyes, such as Sailor Moon, Dragon Ball, and Zoids.

Then came Yugioh in my early teens, and simultaneously, the anime that was airing on the old Toonami, such as Dragon Ball Z and Rurouni Kenshin. The former never really stuck, but I remain a big fan of the latter.

By my mid-teens I still wasn't really even aware that I liked anime that much - I didn't even know RK was based off a manga. Regardless, Adult Swim kept me interested: Samurai Champloo caught my eye since I liked Kenshin, even if it was very different in the samurai genre. Even though I didn't understand them, Trigun and FLCL also looked pretty cool.

A few years later, I discovered the power of "On-demand" on my television, and that's how I discovered Clannad in the "Girl Power" section. I know, pretty awkward, but every guy should watch that series :P In fact, Clannad was the first anime I'd ever bought on DVD - I still have Sentai's old sub-only versions.

It wasn't until a few years later in 2010 that I found the FUNimation Channel. That got me into Soul Eater and Darker Than Black; eventually I checked out FMA…then Brotherhood...and the rest is history.

• Probably Sailor Moon, but that was just a cartoon to me because I was so young. I didn't really get into anime again until about 05', where I watched Dokuro-Chan. That show along with Grenadier is really what got me into anime as I watch it today.

• mine would have to be star blazers before going to school in the morning also thought this was just a cartoon
    akira was the first anime that i was introduced to as an anime

• @mike:

mine would have to be star blazers before going to school in the morning also thought this was just a cartoon
    akira was the first anime that i was introduced to as an anime

Star Blazers for me, too! I bought it on Amazon recently so I could watch it again. Funny! It doesn't thrill me the way it did when I watched it after school in the late 80's!

• Can't remember all that well. I want to say it was Pokemon, though, and I believe the first one I saw that I knew was anime was Naruto.

• Two answers here…

First anime I saw when I actually knew what anime was, that would be Ranma ½. I heard about it though video games actually. Namely the first SNES game that got butchered horribly into Street Combat. So one day when I saw the VHS tapes in a store it kinda piqued my interest and I just went ahead and spent the money on it. Best decision I ever made.

The actual first anime I ever saw would be Speed Racer reruns when I was like preschool age. Which is why I don't remember too much detail about it. At that age it was just another cartoon to me, but I certainly know better now.

• I guess the first anime I ever saw was DBZ in the mornings before high school. After that I saw a few others, specifically whatever Adult Swim would play several years later.

It was not until 2008 that I really got into Anime after netflix started streaming on Xbox. I think the first anime saw through netflix was My-Hime. That started me on the path of being anime crazy.

• @dmguaragno:

Star Blazers for me, too! I bought it on Amazon recently so I could watch it again. Funny! It doesn't thrill me the way it did when I watched it after school in the late 80's!

Speaking of Star Blazers, a new Star Blazers series aired in Japan last year. I've heard it's superior than the original.

• Not sure which was the exact first but I'm pretty sure it was either Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokemon, or Digimon.

• @dmguaragno:

yes its hard to re watch something from the 80's the way they dubbed back then the music it just cant live up to today's standards TT_TT
    but it was my first anime have to just remember it the way it was

• Voltron, Speed Racer, Saber Rider and the Star Sheriffs, and old episodes of Sherlock Hound that my mom rented for me on a VHS from the library.

Beat THAT.

• Astroboy, circa 1985 over breakfast every morning before Kindergarten, then all of us kids would talk about the episode before class started. We didn’t know it was an anime, or that it was from Japan, we all just liked it.

• all hail to code geass

• Most likely Pokemon. I watched the show long before I ever played any of the games.

Speaking of Pokemon, I'm ecstatic that they've brought back the first English theme song for the opening of the latest season.first theme song
    Talk about a major nostalgia boost.

• First anime that I saw: DBZ

First anime that I saw and actually knew were anime as I was watching them: Vandread & Full Metal Panic

• Toonami introduced me to all my first anime shows but I didnt realize what anime was until years later when I first saw Fruits Basket. My first anime show had to have been Pokemon though, followed by DBZ, Gundam, Sailor Moon, Tenchi Muyo, ect. Anything that Toonami originally showed back in the day. Those were good days!