Dub not matching the sub translation ?

• Why was todays dub different from the sub version ? They changed what was said in the boy's locker room from his "wee-wee" being a crime to put me in solitary confinement . Really took the wind out of the joke . The scene's been all over the internet prior to it airing today in dub . Just sad ...

• Haven't seen the episode yet, but those changes are pretty much standard for all shows. Neither completely matches the raw, but some series do seem to make an effort to come closer than others. Beyond holding to major plot points for the sake of the story, it's not uncommon for various jokes or random comments to be changed (or completely removed) in order to fit the writers or directors idea of the story or intended audience.

In this case, sub not matching dub, it also happens all the time. I'm not sure at what point the change is made. Some things are so different that I've been curious if CR does the sub translation/writing aspect and Funi is doing only the dub.

The safest bet is to realize there are three different versions of current series taking place: Japanese, sub, and dub. Pick your poison and accept whatever changes the writers or director decide to make.

• To me the change just ruined the joke & the flow of the conversation . It wasn't inappropriate either , just funny .

• @sirbiscuit This has made me curious. I don't normally watch subs, but curious if you know the time stamp of when the joke takes place. As mentioned, there are often changes from the original for both sub and dub, and neither are really connected to each other. It's a matter of who does the translation and how the script writer works that into the show, or how the director decides to go with it.

I'd like to watch the sub episode so I know what was actually said, and how it was changed.

• @pleco_breeder You can catch it on YouTube . It's been posted by several different YouTubers . That's where I first caught it , not realizing it didn't air on Funimation until last weekend .

• You know, as of lately, i'm seeing a lot more of Sir Biscuit on this forum - - which is definitely a good thing.

Sincerely,
    P.J.

• @pleco_breeder

Scene starts at 11:50

• This isn't a cultural / interpretation issue though. This was a dick joke. The only reason it got changed is because someone didn't want to upset parents and lose viewers/money insert eyeroll emoji

@pleco_breeder said in Dub not matching the sub translation ?:

Haven't seen the episode yet, but those changes are pretty much standard for all shows. Neither completely matches the raw, but some series do seem to make an effort to come closer than others. Beyond holding to major plot points for the sake of the story, it's not uncommon for various jokes or random comments to be changed (or completely removed) in order to fit the writers or directors idea of the story or intended audience.

In this case, sub not matching dub, it also happens all the time. I'm not sure at what point the change is made. Some things are so different that I've been curious if CR does the sub translation/writing aspect and Funi is doing only the dub.

The safest bet is to realize there are three different versions of current series taking place: Japanese, sub, and dub. Pick your poison and accept whatever changes the writers or director decide to make.

• @Neco Sad that Japanese kids can handle a little joke but all these special snowflakes over here can't . First ,we had the "Everyone's a winner & get's a medal" mentality & it snowballed from there . Now we have a whole generation of wining snowflakes who want to rewrite history ....just sad .

• @P.J. said in Dub not matching the sub translation ?:

You know, as of lately, i'm seeing a lot more of Sir Biscuit on this forum - - which is definitely a good thing.

Sincerely,
    P.J.

Yup , moving more over here than on Crunchyroll now . Tired of the VRV crap they keep trying to sell instead of fixing their website . Also , too many snowflakes on certain forums . Plus , I prefer dubs and now all of Gosick is here !!! Gotta save my pennies for the blu-rays ...

• Now now, let's not take this discussion into a place where it doesn't have any business going. I don't want to see that "three letter word" start getting thrown around, understand? Or else I might have to lock this topic up.

• @SpacemanHardy said in Dub not matching the sub translation ?:

Now now, let's not take this discussion into a place where it doesn't have any business going. I don't want to see that "three letter word" start getting thrown around, understand? Or else I might have to lock this topic up.

Three letter word ? Hmm.... wonder what that is ... dub maybe ? Hehe....

• @sirbiscuit said in Dub not matching the sub translation ?:

@SpacemanHardy said in Dub not matching the sub translation ?:

Now now, let's not take this discussion into a place where it doesn't have any business going. I don't want to see that "three letter word" start getting thrown around, understand? Or else I might have to lock this topic up.

Three letter word ? Hmm.... wonder what that is ... dub maybe ? Hehe....

I'm going to go with d>s or s>d

@Neco Sad that Japanese kids can handle a little joke but all these special snowflakes over here can't . First ,we had the "Everyone's a winner & get's a medal" mentality & it snowballed from there . Now we have a whole generation of wining snowflakes who want to rewrite history ....just sad .

It ain't the kids' fault, you only have the parents to blame (okay maybe the kids a little too). And I don't think they want to rewrite history, just that some things shouldn't be proudly displayed where they shouldn't belong. I mean if you want a history lesson go to a museum or open a book, but why is there a statue of a general from the losing side (of a war) in front of a government building? That's like having a statue of Hitler in front of the white house (at least in my eyes anyway).