Crowdrise terms of service? s:-l

• There were a number of sticking-points in that endless legal jargon, however, what follows is some of the most glaring things that i did not particularly care for:

"Network for Good will deduct the chargebacks or refunds from future payments to the Charity, and if necessary, issue an invoice to the applicable Charity.”
    “The applicable Charity expressly agrees that it will be responsible to pay Network for Good the full amount of the refunded Donation.”

I love it, the charity has enough to contend with, then, heaven forbid if some donations go awry, they will be sending out that invoice! (-_-) Would FUNimation being willing to absorb that cost if the situation arises so that the charity can focus on what it does best?

“Network for Good exercises exclusive legal control over the Donations it receives, and retains the exclusive authority and discretion to re-grant the funds to other charitable organizations as it sees fit.”

I saw in the contract how they were trying to justify that point, however, that can go all kinds of wrong... What if there is a mis-reading of a charity and then they are directing your money elsewhere?

Under the heading of Liability and Indemnification they explain,

“If you are from New Jersey, the foregoing limitations are intended to be only as broad as is permitted under the laws of the state of New Jersey.”

I love it, New Jersey is smart, they’re not going to get locked into any unsavory terms... (laughs)

Bottom line, do not demonize me and say that i am undermining the effort. I just want people here to have the full disclosure before they make a decision with their hard-earned money. If you still desire to donate through what FUNimation has set up, that will most likely be fine. I however, have decided to eliminate the “middleman” and give directly to a relief organization that i have been supporting in Texas for years, long before this disaster even happened.

Sincerely,
    P.J.

Source:- https://www.crowdrise.com/about/terms#fees

• Just a quick note, these are standard terms for any charity. You won't find ONE which doesn't carry the same terms you're challenging. The only workaround for this is to donate physical goods to local groups, and stay clear of cash donations. When dealing with larger groups, there is usually something in there regarding operations expenses being taken from donations as well. Several charitable organizations had quite a backlash because of these terms when Katrina hit the gulf coast because of holding items and cash donations for later use.

• Holy........................

• Pleco Breeder explains,

“You won't find ONE which doesn't carry the same terms you're challenging...”

Funny you should mention that. The organization which i give to has its own financial services division to preclude the possibility of donations being re-directed or the charity being hit with extraneous fees as can happen when a third-party processor such as Crowdrise is involved. If a donation falls through, they are just out that money.

Grand Alliance explains,

“Holy...”

Please, continue. ;-)

Despite if it looks as though me and Grand Alliance are at odds at times, i still have a profound admiration for Grand Alliance as this figure is a long-standing contributor for the FUNimation forums, and, oftentimes, will be the first to answer someone’s question. I genuinely respect that, and still hold that it would be very interesting to actually meet this person over coffee.

Sincerely,
    P.J.

• @P-J You should join the new discord channel they opened.

https://discord.gg/N7HnPz9

Able to engage in a more "relevant" discourse. All the personal info it "needs" is an email address, so just use one u don't "care" about.

I sware, you and "Terms of Service"...

• @P.J. said in Crowdrise terms of service? s:-l:

Pleco Breeder explains,

“You won't find ONE which doesn't carry the same terms you're challenging...”

Funny you should mention that. The organization which i give to has its own financial services division to preclude the possibility of donations being re-directed or the charity being hit with extraneous fees as can happen when a third-party processor such as Crowdrise is involved. If a donation falls through, they are just out that money.

Funny you should mention that. It's exactly what you copied from the terms of service. "Network for Good will deduct the chargebacks or refunds from future payments to the Charity, and if necessary, issue an invoice to the applicable Charity.”
    “The applicable Charity expressly agrees that it will be responsible to pay Network for Good the full amount of the refunded Donation.”

“Network for Good exercises exclusive legal control over the Donations it receives, and retains the exclusive authority and discretion to re-grant the funds to other charitable organizations as it sees fit.”

This is in reference to direct donations to "Network for Good". It simply says if you give them money, they choose where/how it gets used.

If you are from New Jersey, the foregoing limitations are intended to be only as broad as is permitted under the laws of the state of New Jersey.”

This is because of New Jersey charitable contribution laws, and not a change to their terms. New Jersey has a rather hefty definition of what can be considered a charitable contribution. This is saying that "If you are from New Jersey" and making a donation to their charity, the terms of service only change to the least amount allowable by the laws in the state.

In regards to the financial services division of your charity, those are not voluntary positions. They're paid, and actually rather well. Charities with their own financial divisions are the reason third party vendors are necessary. The expense of maintaining bookkeeping for a small charity won't allow them to provide assistance and often lose (or can't get) not for profit status because of it. Even mid-size charities will struggle with operating expenses because of financial services costs.

Of course, you could always go with the larger charities where 25%+ of donations are used for maintaining operations expenses and the CFO is pulling down seven figures because people need help.

• Hello once again Pleco Breeder,

You explain,

“It’s exactly...”

To be clear, there is a procedural difference between what FUNimation has set up, versus the way in which the organization that i give to works. Say a person’s donation to Red Cross (through Network For Good) is faulty. Network For Good then issues an invoice to Red Cross almost as a “punishment” that we tried to process this donation, but, now, for our inconvenience, you are now assessed. I say, if a donation fails, it fails. Red Cross should not be presented with an invoice from Network For Good. Network For Good should ascribe to the “higher path” and just absorb what i would imagine is not so overwhelming, the faulty donation(s) or just let it go and inform Red Cross that a certain amount of donations just fell through. Red Cross has enough to contend with on the ground (so to speak). Whereas, the charity i support, will never be hit with random fees from an outside entity, as they do not deal with those. The financial department and the charity itself are under the same “masthead group” (if that makes sense). If a donation falls through, they just don’t have those funds to work with.

You explain,

“It simply says if you give them money, they choose where/how it gets used.”

Now, are you thinking insofar as allocation of resources to the particular charity? See, i interpreted it a little differently. From my understanding, say you want your monies to go to x charity, however, if based on lists that they have (i believe maintained by the IRS) if it is deemed that charity x does not meet their criterion for “reputable standing” they then have the jurisdiction to re-direct your monies to an entirely different charity which can be problematic. Say you do not want your monies going to an entirely different charity that they choose? Then what? At least the organization i give to, there is not the possibility of this re-direction. Funds are going directly to them. Moreover, considering the high levels of corruption at the IRS (most notoriously perpetrated by Lois Lerner) not to mention wrongfully denying tax-exempt status to many religious organizations, i highly doubt that the IRS is in a strong position to act as the “moral authority” on what constitutes a legitimate charity.

You explain,

“and not a change to their terms...”

At least the way i see it, if something in those lengthy terms contravenes New Jersey State Law, their (meaning Crowdrise) terms will be modified to the extent that will inure to the benefit of the State of New Jersey, leaving all remaining provisions in full force and effect.

You explain,

“They're paid, and actually rather well...”

Especially concerning the organization that i support, i’m not going to authoritatively jump to that conclusion (laughs) ;-)

Take care,
    P.J.

Say a person’s donation to Red Cross (through Network For Good) is faulty. Network For Good then issues an invoice to Red Cross almost as a “punishment” that we tried to process this donation, but, now, for our inconvenience, you are now assessed. I say, if a donation fails, it fails. Red Cross should not be presented with an invoice from Network For Good. Network For Good should ascribe to the “higher path” and just absorb what i would imagine is not so overwhelming, the faulty donation(s) or just let it go and inform Red Cross that a certain amount of donations just fell through. Whereas, the charity i support, will never be hit with random fees from an outside entity, as they do not deal with those.

Don't overthink this. This "legal protection" is necessary. Else, you could dump million$ of illegal charges on stole credit cards, or just improper charges such as Non Sufficient Funds, the like, and you would be arguing the charity would have to "cover" that. Think how easy a hack attack could make that. Bots FTW.

"Free money is free money." Be thankful someone is making donations to your probably inefficient/high admin cost charity in thr first place. Nobody should be forced to pay for someone else's "not so free" money. Less, @P-J you are making a communist arguement here...

No matter.

• Hello once again Grand Alliance,

Fine, if “Network For Good” does not want to absorb that cost, then, my contention is, the faulty donations should just fall through. They should explain to say the Red Cross, that they thought they were going to have x, y, z, donations to present to them, however, donations x and y fell through, without presenting them an invoice. It will just be chalked up as less money Red Cross has to work with. Perhaps the underlying problem is that Network For Good is not a “pass through network”.

You explain,

“Less, @P-J you are making a communist argument here...”

Interesting...

• @P.J. The invoice is an accounting tool to allow red cross to pay back any funds already disbursed, and not be held accountable. If no funds have been disbursed, it allows the red cross to remove it from their balance without risk of being financially accountable for it. Money doesn't just disappear, and when it does somebody is usually being looked at for jail time.

• Betrayed by Sophie for GrandAlliance. I think i just cried a little inside...

Betrayed by Sophie for GrandAlliance. I think i just cried a little inside...

????????????????

• Took you awhile to realize that....

After all now, it is blatantly obvious: No wonder why. You're complaining and suggesting that people don't donate to a FUNimation match-fund, because of "technicals" you don't like in the ToU; which such criticism borders on absurdity. And yet, you would expect a different reaction from FUNimation (employee), now?

If you want to levy a charge on whether the charities involved are best ones or not, that is perhaps a fair discussion to be had. But instead you are literally complaining, among other reasons, that because they send an invoice for failed donations, it is /GGWP for you. Because otherwise, such a FUNimation donation-paired charity effort would be a "Crime Against Humanity" to participate therein, now wouldn't it be?...

"Accounting", is what is called. Now, go take a shower, Mr
    Kong. Get some nice rum on the rocks, when you're done.

All good...

• Hello Sophie,

I believe you upvoted the post wherein GrandAlliance was insinuating that i was something known as the "cranky kong" hence betrayal:
    0_1505388115413_Cabin.JPG

Unless of course a different Sophie upvoted that post? Regardless of what my critics have said on this thread and although i still hold fast to what i believe, because i have such great respect for you, if this thread is a bother, i will remove it the next time i'm on the forum, just let me know.

Hello once again Grand Alliance,

How are you? It is good to be speaking with you once again. I must say, that newest gif is good, however, perhaps you are familiar with Queenira's beloved sloth?

0_1505388801430_sloth saying no.gif

Sincerely,
    P.J.

• Ah, yes, that was me. I only upvoted because I like Donkey Kong Country. I apologize for the confusion and will be more responsible with my upvotes.

This thread is perfectly fine. I encourage debate and civil discussion. ^_^

• Hello once again Sophie,

Good to be speaking with you once again. Regardless of me being a drama queen (laughs) it's fine one way or the other. If you like Donkey Kong Country, if you agree with Grand Alliance that i'm a cranky kong, if you're not into yoga - - it's all good. I don't know what to make of things... i guess i'm at a place in my life where i can't overly worry about labels...

Speaking of Donkey Kong, i remember playing a Donkey Kong game on the Gameboy back in the day (it was my friends, so i couldn't throw it in the garbage) but, the gameplay was disgustingly hard, at least to me. I remember trying my best to have mario hop over the barrels to reach the top of the board... man, that was annoying.

In other news, you're the best, Sophie! :-) I feel absolutely terrible that you have to put up with the spam again. I guess me looking at it from an outsider's perspective, that has to be depressing. Does FUNimation offer any solutions to employees that report that they are over-worked/ over-stressed? I think i heard that Apple factories overseas had to put up "suicide nets" because workers were so depressed.

Unfortunately, the Symantec Employee that i had reached out to about the spam here, never gave me a definitive follow-up answer, maybe i can petition again.

Hoping this post finds you well,

Sincerely,
    P.J.

I remember trying my best to have mario hop over the barrels to reach the top of the board... man, that was annoying.

Hard enough in the arcade; trying to use that tiny screen... oy.

• @P-J Don't worry. I'll be ok. ^_^ As long as everyone keeps posting here in the forum in spite of the spam attacks, I'm happy.