Ok seriously why do they have to keep recaping????

• It Seems like in almost every episode of one piece they keep continuously bringing up the same old review crap with the narrator for the first minute of the episode. How they've attracted the attention of the world government and how they're wanted etc. etc. seriously why do they have to keep bringing this up in every single episode it gets so annoying after a while we get it we don't need it to be said every single goddamn episode why do they do this. If you want to bring it up here and there that's fine but why bring it up continuously episode after episode we get it we get that there wanted we don't need a recap of this. They can give you a quick View of the previous episode but enough with the whole wanted world government wanted crap we don't need it anymore! So freaking over done!!!!

• Quick answer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1Wrx6eQZ1E

True answer: Because Toei is kooky and likes to pad things out as long as they are able to, so that they can both buy time for the manga to catch up to canon material AND so they can expand their episode count to increase total sales margins.

.....But mainly because: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1Wrx6eQZ1E

• Took like a season and a half for MHA to drop that stupid opening narration.

• wow, twice. that's just sad

• @SpacemanHardy said in Ok seriously why do they have to keep recaping????:

Quick answer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1Wrx6eQZ1E

True answer: Because Toei is kooky and likes to pad things out as long as they are able to, so that they can both buy time for the manga to catch up to canon material AND so they can expand their episode count to increase total sales margins.

.....But mainly because: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1Wrx6eQZ1E

@SpacemanHardy those links are the same. Doesn't have anything to do with my question. I don't see how constantly saying the same narration episode episode is going to increase sales or benefit the Manga. Inless some kind of idiot or haven't watched the constant episodes of the plot by now you should already know what's what in one piece. narration stuff they do is in every single episode I think there's been like one filler episode they didn't show it. To show it constantly and it's the same thing over and over and over again it's so annoying and redundant we get what the plot is you don't have to show it every single episode.

• Typically One Piece in general is to be released weekly so usually having a mini recap isn't too terrible or inoffensive. But then it becomes a strategy to stretch out the content, as they're sometimes working with very little material to adapt and need to consistently make 23 minute episodes for Television, sometimes at worst out of like 1-2 chapters.

Sometimes it's only a little bit, sometimes its as bad as lasting like 7 minutes. That's when you can tell they're REALLY trying to stretch for material to adapt.

• Well didn't the first season of Attack on Titan do exactly the same thing? (Didn't watch it on Toonami, I'm suspecting that's what got cut when it aired there, so they could get there commercials in.

• @Series5Ranger said in Ok seriously why do they have to keep recaping????:

Well didn't the first season of Attack on Titan do exactly the same thing? (Didn't watch it on Toonami, I'm suspecting that's what got cut when it aired there, so they could get there commercials in.

@Series5Ranger Attack On Titan not over exaggerate the pliot with the narrator in every episode and no this was not cut.

• @Series5Ranger said in Ok seriously why do they have to keep recaping????:

Well didn't the first season of Attack on Titan do exactly the same thing? (Didn't watch it on Toonami, I'm suspecting that's what got cut when it aired there, so they could get there commercials in.

Episode 13.5 iirc which was an "everything up until this point" episode but never aired in NA. I do remember some of the early episodes having a little recap in the beginning I think but they stopped doing it like after the second wall fell. Idk. I'm sure someone who's watched it more recently could tell you. But I do know 13.5 was like that.

• @darthrutsula40 said in Ok seriously why do they have to keep recaping????:

@Series5Ranger said in Ok seriously why do they have to keep recaping????:

Episode 13.5 iirc which was an "everything up until this point" episode but never aired in NA. I do remember some of the early episodes having a little recap in the beginning I think but they stopped doing it like after the second wall fell. Idk. I'm sure someone who's watched it more recently could tell you. But I do know 13.5 was like that.

@darthrutsula40 That's not a real episode that's a recap episode specifically made for that which is OK this is also why it wasn't what is the North America. What one piece is doing is they're doing in the actual episodes to recap and they're doing in every single episode constantly there's a big difference.

• @gohan6425 The reason One Piece does it is so they don't have to do filler arcs as often (and the ones they do aren't very long). Filler arcs are more costly (need someone to create everything from scratch instead of just adapting the story, characters, world design, etc from the manga) and generally poorly received (since it's not like you can get any good character development aside from maybe some anime original character we'll never see again).

One Piece runs ~18-22 pages a week. On top of that it takes a break every 4 or 5 weeks due to Oda's health (he overworked himself to the point of hospitalization a few years ago and Shueisha forces him to take regular breaks now). Your typical anime adaptating a weekly manga will use 3-5 chapters for each episode. Sometimes One Piece only gets 3 chapters in a month so it would catch up far too quickly.

Other weekly manga (Fairy Tail or My Hero Academia for example) solve this problem by taking breaks and letting the manga get far enough where it won't be an issue.

• @Doublethree100 said in Ok seriously why do they have to keep recaping????:

@gohan6425 The reason One Piece does it is so they don't have to do filler arcs as often (and the ones they do aren't very long). Filler arcs are more costly (need someone to create everything from scratch instead of just adapting the story, characters, world design, etc from the manga) and generally poorly received (since it's not like you can get any good character development aside from maybe some anime original character we'll never see again).

One Piece runs ~18-22 pages a week. On top of that it takes a break every 4 or 5 weeks due to Oda's health (he overworked himself to the point of hospitalization a few years ago and Shueisha forces him to take regular breaks now). Your typical anime adaptating a weekly manga will use 3-5 chapters for each episode. Sometimes One Piece only gets 3 chapters in a month so it would catch up far too quickly.

Other weekly manga (Fairy Tail or My Hero Academia for example) solve this problem by taking breaks and letting the manga get far enough where it won't be an issue.

And then you have Naruto where it never really caught up to where they were in the manga (iirc) but they decided to use filler anyway. I think they were close at one point but they never actually caught up, though they could have... especially at the end but they decided to spend like a year on retcon that didn't happen (stupid Madara and the infinite-filler-yomi). Based on my understanding, a lot of it was Kishimoto's fault too since he has a heavy hand in the anime's creation.

• @darthrutsula40 wasn't a lot of the Naruto filler just adapting LNs? I know at least some of it was and that's probably cheaper than full on anime original.

• The ending episodes were, but not through the middle of the run.

• @Nobu ok that's probably why I think that since I never watched Naruto so they'd be the most fresh in my mind.