When will Funimation Channel come back?

• Just in case you don't remember, the channel first launched in 2005 and it showed many of Funimation's dubs.

Verizon dropped the channel in March 2012 due to low viewership.

On December 15, 2015, Funimation announced that the channel would close on December 31 of that same year, due to them ending their partnership with Olympusat, and that they would relaunch the channel sometime in 2016.

However, 2016 came and went with no Funimation Channel relaunch. So does this mean it was cancelled?

• Short Answer is the FunimationNow streaming service is effectively the replacement for the Funimation Channel. Television Broadcast for something as Niche as Anime most likely won't work in the long term anymore, especially with every either streaming or pirating the content they want to watch.

Speculation Answer is that maybe why the television branch of Sony purchased Funimation. They made a big deal about now having access to the catalogs of Funimation, Animax, and Aniplex, so maybe what they have planned is to create a new "Premium" Anime Channel.

• Jim explains,

"Verizon dropped the channel in March 2012 due to low viewership."

This was always a fundamental sticking-point for me. I do not believe the channel had as low viewership as Verizon claimed... Perhaps i was not always available to watch the channel, however, i consistently dvr'd it. Did Verizon take into account those statistics? I would imagine, not. Moreover, i guarantee you that there were plenty of other channels residing on their platform with low viewership, and, those were not moved. To this day, i believe that FUNimation was put in the proverbial "crosshairs" of Verizon and marked for extinction through no fault of their own. Make no mistake, when Verizon desires feedback, i, in no uncertain terms, take the opportunity to bring back this foolish decision to their remembrance.

Sincerely,
    P.J.

• @P.J. said in When will Funimation Channel come back?:

Jim explains,

"Verizon dropped the channel in March 2012 due to low viewership."

This was always a fundamental sticking-point for me. I do not believe the channel had as low viewership as Verizon claimed... Perhaps i was not always available to watch the channel, however, i consistently dvr'd it. Did Verizon take into account those statistics? I would imagine, not. Moreover, i guarantee you that there were plenty of other channels residing on their platform with low viewership, and, those were not moved. To this day, i believe that FUNimation was put in the proverbial "crosshairs" of Verizon and marked for extinction through no fault of their own. Make no mistake, when Verizon desires feedback, i, in no uncertain terms, take the opportunity to bring back this foolish decision to their remembrance.

Sincerely,
    P.J.

@P-J The only reason why I think it ever had low viewership is because no one knew about the channel. I mean come on it was only available on files. I didn't even know the channel even existed until I went to my aunts one day when I was still like 18 year old it was going though channels and happen to come across it. My aunt had files. The Funimation channel was not available on the major companies that the majority of people have Cable,
    DirecTV, dish , etc. it was only ever on files which is why the channel viewership is low had been a channel available on any of the major cable and satellite companies it would've done 100 times better. That's what did the channel and it needed to be on the major available TV companies. If it's not then not many people are going to know about it.

• They seriously need to bring it back, that was best thing ever having 24/7 anime TV channel. I still have recordings of the shows on my DVR from 2015 just before it was taken off. Don't get me wrong TOKU channel is ok, but they lack the selection Funimation had.

• That DVR you have is worth more than 24 carat gold! Guard it with your life! I'm not even kidding. I too, had a good amount of FUN shows saved, but, the DVR i had was one of the older ones from Verizon, and, suffice it to say, it was toast. They sent me a new one, but, lost all my shows like Haruhi lost her music. When i think of the great shows from FUN that i used to have compared with what i have now, the depression sets in... I went from Kenichi The Mightiest Disciple and Bamboo Blade to Pokémon Sun and Moon and tired reruns of the Golden Girls... (laughs) ;-)

0_1504777044059_Sponge.JPG

Sincerely,
    P.J.