Questionable titles on STEAM...

• Maybe i haven’t been on STEAM that long, however, as of more recently (from when i first registered with the site) i am noticing a slew of highly questionable titles on the platform. I will not name names/developers for the obvious reasons, but hold this to be a disturbing trend to say the least. One entry that was recently brought to my attention was a line wherein the developer explains something to the effect of,

“Do whatever you want to the female protagonist, the choice is yours...”

After reading that, i was like epic facepalm. Why? I don’t think messaging such as that is good, further, if STEAM desires to entertain those themes, they should shift them to an adult venue - - NOT have them reside on the general platform they currently have.

Sincerely,
    P.J.

• Steam is horrible at quality control, and are terrible at policing their service. Just take a look at Jim Sterlings YouTube channel. It's one (of many) reasons I prefer to buy on GOG, and if I have to buy from Steam I check Humble Bundle Store first, so at least some of the cash is going to a charity of my choice.

• Lately, I feel like they just try to add as much games as they can to maximise sales. It kind of worries me too as it looks to me that they are adding them too fast to be able to do any quality check on those games. I'm pretty sure that at in a near future, if it hasn't already begun, people will start uploading viruses and other garbage softwares like they already do on mobile app stores.

• @the_krock said in Questionable titles on STEAM...:

Lately, I feel like they just try to add as much games as they can to maximise sales. It kind of worries me too as it looks to me that they are adding them too fast to be able to do any quality check on those games.

Valve does have a service called Steam Direct, which replaced Steam Greenlight. The only real difference is that games get picked by Valve, and developer/publisher must pay a fee of 100 USD (per game) which get's refunded after a certain amount of sales. So far Valve aren't doing a great job of what they want on their store, some people are saying it's worse than Greenlight (which was notorious for devs/pubs buying Greenlight votes to get on the Store).

@the_krock said in Questionable titles on STEAM...:

I'm pretty sure that at in a near future, if it hasn't already begun, people will start uploading viruses and other garbage softwares like they already do on mobile app stores.

Yes, an "indie developers" have been known to upload viruses. Also Capcom got into trouble last year (I think) when they launched Street Fighter 5 with malware (now removed).

I strongly advice anyone to not buy from Steam, go for GMG, HBS, GP, Chrono, or if you don't want steam at all, go for GOG. All of these stores offer decent quality control, offer discounts, and unlike G2A support the developers.

• @Tibs said in Questionable titles on STEAM...:

Steam is horrible at quality control, and are terrible at policing their service. Just take a look at Jim Sterlings YouTube channel. It's one (of many) reasons I prefer to buy on GOG, and if I have to buy from Steam I check Humble Bundle Store first, so at least some of the cash is going to a charity of my choice.

Just to add onto your point here, 63% of all games released on steam came out in the last three years (2015, 2016 and 2017). To say Valve has horrible quality control is a bit of an understatement.

• Wow! Tibbs, The Krock, AND Rejected Shadow! (dorky voice) this is better than trading cards! Yeah!

I haven't heard from Rejected Shadow in some... wait, i'm not sure, have i ever talked to Rejected Shadow? Rejected Shadow appearing on your thread is like a shiny pokemon appearance! Awesome! :-D

• Temporarily putting aside my enthusiasm for those who took time to contribute to this post, the mention about viruses is intriguing. I have had incidents where my Norton 360 will flag certain STEAM games, but not others. Hopefully, it is just "false positives" as you would imagine that STEAM would have some safeguards in place?

• It's usually a good idea to check the following before buying a game:

1. Check what the developer has previously released on Steam.
    2. Going to the game's discussions page.

Granted, it's unlikely you've encountered anything dangerous, but it's still worth checking what issues other's have encountered. After all, if you've had a false positive, it's likely someone else has. It's also worth noting that if a game is new, and somewhat unknown by the Anti-Virus, it's highly likely that it would give a false positive as a precaution. That's fine, and perfectly normal for any software.

• Look, this thread is totally ridiculous. Steam is the largest, most comprehensive, and overall oldest PC download game retailer in existence; over 25,000+ titles. I know, seen a bunch of em in me discovery que/elsewise, +4k titles thus far.

Claims above give a false illusion that this place... This is not some haphazard Torrent site. There is no "widespread malware problem" or anything. You make it sound like, if I download Total War: Warhammer, me gonna get a virus or some nonsense.

This place is incredibly safe place by comparison to rest of Internet. The safest place by far for PC game title downloads. Throwing around a few anecdotal stories still accounts for <.1% of titles. This claims asserted above are ridiculous, indeed...

...and this thread is comming from the one also complaining about a website's (Twitter) ToS. Like that fake nonsense even makes a difference...

And, BTW, they are called "Gal Games".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bishōjo_game#Related_terms

Generally of Japanese Origin. Go figure.

Don't go crazy over a bunch of pixels, now...

@P-J

Based upon ye history of old-age style ranting as to the affairs of 'dem rowdy youngsters and their devious machinations, on these forums and elsewhere; as to such random rabble, I officially declare ye, to be forever known thereas:

https://youtu.be/GhGBXPYydJE

It Shall Be So...

• Yes, Steam is predominately safe. Though it does no good in ignoring that the platform does have it's problems, and things are getting worse, not better. To be honest it's so safe that I don't use an Anti-Virus (does not mean you shouldn't), yet I've been using Steam for years and never got a single virus.

All I'm saying is, be smart, if it seems dodgy, it likely is. Oh and to expand on the game thegrandalliance mentioned, TW: Warhammer is a damn good RTS, and if you're interested in the Warhammer universe, worth checking out. They're also releasing the sequel pretty soon too.

• Hmmm...

I’m gone for a couple of days only to return to this “frosty blast” from Grand Alliance? I would expect nothing less. (laughs) ;-)

You explain,
    “The safest place by far for PC game title downloads...”

In general, i can agree, however:

0_1504340591959_Norton indication message 1.JPG

0_1504340627833_Norton indication message 2.JPG

In my love for these titles, i have made exemptions for them and want to believe that they are safe, however, have never really definitively ruled on that.

You continue,

“this coming from the one also complaining about a website's (Twitter) ToS...”

If you desire to use “Twitter” that is fine. I don’t particularly care to use a platform that will “herd” (if you will) my information into what they reference (or did reference at one point) as an ‘ecosystem’. God only knows the full extent of that. Moreover, that data will (key word) probably be readily accessible for an apparatus such as the Utah Data Center to mine, of which, in the event that the government is trying to track me down (for whatever reason) i do not desire to give them an easier route. Like the essential Pink Floyd once explained, “Mother can i trust the government?” These days, i’m not so sure, and perhaps Mr. Snowden would agree?

You further explain,

“Don't go crazy over a bunch of pixels...”

It is not necessarily the “pixels” as you like to say, rather, the messaging behind the artwork that is troubling to say the least. We see countless instances where people get so wrapped up in their “fandom” - - that they commit atrocities in real life. Most notoriously, James Holmes, who thought he was the Joker and ended up committing mass carnage at the movie theatre in Aurora. Sorry, but a generation that thinks it can do anything to women thanks to the perverse influence of that game, is not a future i want to be in, but, better luck next time.

As for the end of your post, i’m not really sure what that was about, however, it did remind me of when Aki Adagaki used to bestow labels on the students at her school. Don’t worry Aki, i wear mine with pride. (laughs) ;-)

Take care,
    P.J.

• I don't think you're in any trouble with The Leisure Of Grisaia, FrontWing are pretty decent and reputable (as visual novel devs go) in the PC community. It also appears that Norton is the only Anti-Virus that's flagging this game up, and everyone seems to agree that it's a false positive.

I'll be honest, I think you're 100% safe with this game, and it's worth whitelisting it on Norton.

UPDATE:
    Oh also, it's good to meet(?) someone else that doesn't use Twitter. It seems nobody cares about their privacy, or being mass-experimented on these days. Also on a side note, if anyone reading this is a user of Instagram. Your account could be compromised, their's over 6 million users with their email and phone number leaked online. You don't want your two-factor used against you, that's very bad.

• @P.J. said in Questionable titles on STEAM...:

If you desire to use “Twitter” that is fine.

I don't use Twitter either. At least, I don't have an account anyways. Nevertheless, we "all" use Twitter now whether u like it or not; it is called @realdonaldtrump Fun Times...

I don’t particularly care to use a platform that will “herd” (if you will) my information into what they reference (or did reference at one point) as an ‘ecosystem’.

Fox News Alert... "Everyone" does that now. Ur Microsoft OS. Ur Google Whatever. Ur ISP.

Twitters TOS is no different then anyone else's. Hell, even FUNimation is doing it now with "Facebook" integration and otherwise. U have to click "I agree" each time u login. I don't see u /cancel "sub" anytime soon.

Moreover, that data will (key word) probably be readily accessible for an apparatus such as the Utah Data Center to mine, of which, in the event that the government is trying to track me down (for whatever reason) i do not desire to give them an easier route.

It is 2017. U cannot hide anymore. No use. Even if u don't use electronics. The best thing u can do is instead, is to provide misdirection/counterintelligence. Give them what they think they want, but hide your true intentions in a sea of data.

"It's too late, you should have acted. They're already here..."

"They are comming, they are comming..."

It is not necessarily the “pixels” as you like to say, rather, the messaging behind the artwork that is troubling to say the least. We see countless instances where people get so wrapped up in their “fandom” - - that they commit atrocities in real life. Sorry, but a generation that thinks it can do anything to women thanks to the perverse influence of that game, is not a future i want to be in, but, better luck next time.

Too bad for your logic, it has the exact opposite effect:

http://www.ipss.go.jp/pr-ad/e/eng/03.html

Known as "herbivore men".

As for the end of your post, i’m not really sure what that was about, however, it did remind me of when Aki Adagaki used to bestow labels on the students at her school. Don’t worry Aki, i wear mine with pride. (laughs) ;-)

She's me "waifu", well not actually. Part of Team Xtreme, though. Her style, TGA approved; for more info, reread me stuff on the anime.

BTW, in the case u didn't know what ur designation is, it is Cranky Kong, from the Nintendo Donkey Kong (Country) franchise. Good times.

Alas...

• Hello once again Tibbs,

You explain,

“I don't think you're in any trouble with The Leisure Of Grisaia, FrontWing are pretty decent and reputable (as visual novel devs go) in the PC community. It also appears that Norton is the only Anti-Virus that's flagging this game up, and everyone seems to agree that it's a false positive.”

Most likely, however, it is a little disconcerting that i have downloaded other STEAM titles, and, they are not flagged by Norton... Also, i was speaking with another user from STEAM who explained that his Kaspersky was also indicating problems on a particular title. Say what you want about Norton, however, if big “K” is also citing, makes me even more concerned. :-/

You further explain,

“Oh also, it's good to meet(?) someone else that doesn't use Twitter. It seems nobody cares about their privacy, or being mass-experimented on these days.”

Likewise, and, 100% agreed. Not sure what people are “thinking”, or, if they are even thinking at all... (laughs) ;-)

Sincerely,
    P.J.

• Another for the proverbial "pile" (laughs)

0_1505391010495_Another for the pile.JPG

• @P.J. I know the dev of that and we talk from time to time (we follow each other on Twitter). I can basically guarantee he would not add anything bad hidden in his games. Also I just checked the Steam page for the game and noticed reviews are "very positive". If it actually had malware I doubt it would be that high.

I've used a number of antivirus programs over the years and Norton is the one I used the least of. It constantly flags false positives (it almost seems like anything with a .exe is flagged) and going by Google that's a common complaint.

• @P.J.

That is a heuristic scan, not a definition scan. That means it is trying to predict in advance a new possible threat, and not one that had been reported and established. AI.

It is paranoid. Notice it couldn't provide specific details. If it sees an .exe and cannot understand it, it auto thinks it is a virus. Fake News, in either case.

• @thegrandalliance said in Questionable titles on STEAM...:

@P.J.

That is a heuristic scan, not a definition scan. That means it is trying to predict in advance a new possible threat, and not one that had been reported and established. AI.

It is paranoid. Notice it couldn't provide specific details. If it sees an .exe and cannot understand it, it auto thinks it is a virus. Fake News, in either case.

Yeah Norton is Paranoid when it comes to new Files, If it's less than a month old it will block / remove it regardless. It will also block / remove a file if it shares a file name with a known virus.

• Another for the proverbial "pile" (laughs)

0_1505472500552_Blue Bird Detection.JPG

Problem is, although (on some level) i'm still questioning the others and another STEAM user reported that his Kaspersky was also indicating problems, the extension of .C for "blue bird" Norton categorizes as a "SAPE" detection which they consider to be at a very low false-positive rate which makes me potentially even more concerned...

Sincerely,
    P.J.

• PJ.

Norton doesn't want u to cancel ur sub. Of course their stuff works wonders. Low error rate. Any other possibility is just Blasphemy...

The Foolish Mortals...

• The problem with this is, i'm constantly having to make exemptions in my Norton program which is time consuming for titles i'm not even 100% sure that are, in fact, safe. Then, because, Norton eradicates the exe, i have to re-verify the integrity of files when i log into STEAM. Moreover, if the publisher releases an "update" for said game, then, the ruthless cycle of detection begins again! Very annoying, to say the least.

Sincerely,
    P.J.