Netflix Live Action Death Note Film

• alt text

So who else has watched it?

I went in to this with rock bottom expectations, with simply the beacon of Willam Dafoe Ryuk guiding me to watch it. Despite the fans crying "Dragonball Evolution" and "Last Airbender", saying it was the worst adaptation in a long time, that it was a shame to the source material, I decided I wanted to give it a try and draw my own judgement.

I'm glad I did because I... Actually liked it.

I tried not to view the character I saw on screen as Light Yagami, and this was immediately made apparent from the very first scene when he did something very not Light, and from then on I tried to watch it not as a fan of Death Note, but as I would any other film.

It was actually pretty darn good.

I think as long as people don't view it as a straight adaptation, and instead view it as what it really is (A movie based very loosely on the series Death Note), then people can actually see it's not nearly as bad as it's being made out to be by fans of the series.

That's just my opinion though. What did everyone else think?

• The reviewer from NPR (yes the radio station) took a lot of issue with white boy Light using the moniker Kira to throw off the authorities, pointing out that it was Kira because that was the JP pronunciation of "killer". He didn't out right ask "Why not go with a different name like 'Koroshiya'? (Japanese word for Killer)" but it felt like he was implying it.

He also didn't like that they didn't even try to identify Ryuk as a Shinigami.

Then stuff about how a lot of it was just rushed. yada yada yada

• I liked it when I saw it. Makes me want to watch the anime.

• I understand the use of Kira because, well, it's another reference to the manga and while it wasn't the same story, I certainly felt like the creator for this had a lot of love for it.

I felt there was subtle referencing to the Shinigami stuff in the book Light was reading, I'm wondering if they're going to follow up more on that in the sequel (It was pretty heavily implied there would be, but I also think it's pretty ok without one too)

• I just watched it today with a few friends and none of us were very satisfied by the movie. I feel kinda bad for making them watch it, the anime was so good and I had high hopes that the move would live up to it. I should also mention that out the 3 of us, I was the only one who had seen the anime.

Suffice to say, we thought the film was mediocre at best. It felt like someone told the people in charge of making it about several story beats, and the characters, then just mixed it into another generic Hollywood thriller.

Do I think it's worth watching?
    No, stick with the anime or (if you're into it) manga.

• I watched it last night.

Having watched the anime Live action TV show, this left me 'wanting'. It might be fine if you've not read the manga, or watched the Anime, but having seen the Anime it was all but a disappointment.

They would have been further ahead making it a 'sequel' and not having Light and L. Having their successors.

I'd give it at best a 3/5.

@emdier said in Netflix Live Action Death Note Film:

fe

@emdier said in Netflix Live Action Death Note Film:

I understand the use of Kira because, well, it's another reference to the manga and while it wasn't the same story, I certainly felt like the creator for this had a lot of love for it.

I felt there was subtle referencing to the Shinigami stuff in the book Light was reading, I'm wondering if they're going to follow up more on that in the sequel (It was pretty heavily implied there would be, but I also think it's pretty ok without one too)

As I said above, better they made it with the non standard characters, I would've enjoyed it and it might have driven traffic to the anime.

Hell, they could have expanded on the "Don't trust Ryuk" and made it a message from Light instead to any new owner.

Using Kira could have just been our MC's googling and discovering something similar happening in japan years previous.strikethrough text

• I thought it was fairly solid. Clearly a loose adaptation and definitely the silliest (or at least the most explicitly B-Movie-ish) version I've seen, but I thought it worked well as the kind of easy-to-watch horror/thriller movie you see with your buds on a weekend night with your preferred alcoholic beverage. Dafoe and Stanfield with both a lot of fun to watch and it continued my favorite trend in Death Note things, which is were they point out that all of this still is more than a little absurd when you think about it.
    Wasn't world-changing or anything, but it gets a decent 2.5/4 starts from me.

• I'm going to be honest.
    It wasn't bad, but it wasn't a good representation at all neither. The actors where great to be honest, from what they got. But the fact that the writing was incredibly limited and weak, makes it so incredibly odd and so convoluted to a very start point, making it bad that din't make any seance. To a viewer that do not know nothing about the original source material this could be go down in three ways,

1. Weird
    2. Odd
    3. Kind of new and interesting (if they really enjoy)

I really din't care about the actors being and look the way they did at all, they could add different ethnicity's or not, I would,'t care if the material/writing olds up equally or better, but the fact stance, and is this. They completely rushed the writing to a weird taste, and for people that know the original material this will go down in Netflix's record as the ugliest interpretation from original source. of Was a bad, awful representation.

P.s. Till next time.

• How was Willam Dafoe as Ryuk by the way? I haven't watched it yet but did he pull Ryuk off well?

• @MidnightAoshi said in Netflix Live Action Death Note Film:

How was Willam Dafoe as Ryuk by the way? I haven't watched it yet but did he pull Ryuk off well?

I haven't watched the film yet either, but from what I've read, Dafoe's performance as Ryuk seems to be universally liked. It's one of the few things that everyone seems to agree on regarding the movie.

How was Willam Dafoe as Ryuk by the way? I haven't watched it yet but did he pull Ryuk off well?

I think that Willam did the best he could with what he had, I did find some of the choices for Ryuk as a character a little odd (Mild Spoilers ie. Him encouraging Light to use the Death Note at points, something I never remember him doing in the series) but other then that it's an excellent portrayal.

Again, very mild spoilers, but one of my favorite moments in the entire movie is near the end where we hear Ryuk hysterically laughing and Light asks why and we get the famous "Humans are so interesting." line. I just found it so perfectly delivered.

Overall the acting in the film was alight, Dafoe took the cake though. One thing I think they nailed was the feel of the character, Dafoe, the lighting, and the camera, work in tandem in making a good live action version of Ryuk. I kinda wish we seen more of him than the teen drama nonsense.

• I found the ANN review spot on:

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/review/death-note/.120543

Positives
    It's fun to watch what they did with the source material, where they stayed on track and where they ventured off.
    There are some great shots and imagery throughout.
    Willem Dafoe can do no wrong and was a great cast

Misses
    Trying to condense a full series into a movie ends up feeling rushed and sloppy.
    Character "L" couldn't be further from the source material.
    The ending leaves you scratching your head.

It was far from the worst thing I've ever seen and I never found myself wanting to shut it off, but left so much more to be desired.