Controllers

• Okay so this has bothered me for a while now (like years actually), but I hate pretty much all controllers except for the Wii Remote + Nunchuk and the DS4.

Now you may be asking: why on Earth would someone like the Wii Remote + Nunchuk? Well the tl;dr would be what my hands are doing.

The long version is what the hell are 5 of my 10 fingers are doing (on a standard Xbox, PS, or GC controller)? I have a thumb (left) literally dedicated to movement and that is it whereas my right is expected to do camera direction, abxy, both my middle fingers get trigger control and........ yup that's what's expected of me. But wait... that's four, how did you get 5? What I actually do is left thumb movement, right thumb gets camera and a b (xbox, x circle on PS, just b on GC) my right index gets the x y (again, xbox, square triangle on PS, and a x y on GC) and my middle fingers still get the triggers.

The way I literally hold a controller can dislocate/break a finger (index) if something smashed the thing up and I was off-guard. Probably a sign of a controller being poorly designed.

I played Smash using a GC controller for the first time in a literal decade (because it was Melee, I never used one for Brawl or U) and I HATED the controller. WTF, why is my right thumb expected to do c-stick, jump, a and b? I have 7 other fingers literally holding the controller up and that is it!!!!!! DO YOU UNDERSTAND HOW INEFFICIENT THIS IS!? I will always prefer smash on the remote + nunchuk because I have separation of what my hands get to do. Left middle shield, left index jump, left thumb move, right thumb a (or throw if I ever do it), right index/middle b. What you get is clear responsibilities on what your fingers do. The c-stick adds more unnecessary difficulty to the game (when I was playing melee whoever played last or whatever turned off the ability to side smash with just the joy stick, expecting me to use the f*cking c-stick, why would you take a simple game and make it more complicated than it had to be? I already had to deal with it dropping inputs anyway)

Whenever I play any sort of shooter or RPG I always notice that my right index finger needs to get over the button diamond because I can't aim and do something else at the same time (sometimes the index finger is the one doing the aim while my thumb gets the diamond). Especially in a fast-paced game where you need to be able to do multiple things at once (why I argue that kb + mouse will trump a controller in most situations).

But I can't name a different controller set that is just as, or more efficient, as the wii remote and nunchuk. Even the current joycons suffer from this, sure it may not be noticeable now because you don't really use both sticks at once, but when you do need it that will get annoying because they're already pretty small and because its separated you need to have one hand per controller to support it.

How about controller design? Surely I can't have any complaints about those right? I do actually. I hate the xbox 1 controllers, so much real estate on the damn things. Why is it so big when there's very little going on on the thing? At least sony put a touch pad that, admittedly sees little use, but at least its there. But other than the hand grips, you don't see a lot of wasted space (unless you count the back), the wii remote and nunchuk also have very little wasted space. The GC controller though, while doesn't have a lot of blank space is a mess of a controller, the C-stick is small, the D-pad is smaller, what the eff is up with the abxy? Wait why is z on the right side? Wouldn't it be better on the left? Wow those grips on the stick are pretty cheap and are easy to slip on. Why is the B button the only one that actually feels tactile? (Out of fairness to the dreamcast, I'm only going to be talking about the gen 6+ non-sega consoles). I do generally prefer my PS4 controller but that's because the wii remote and nunchuk won't work on a pc (both for compatibility and lack of a certain feature reasons). Even a good ol' KB + Mouse has shortfalls, mainly with character movement, sticks are analog and easier to control movement as opposed to wasd and I won't have to worry about my carpal tunnels with a controller.

So what's YOUR favorite controller?

PS I will want to slap you if you say the GC controller, that thing is a mess.

• Hey, HEY! You keep those middle fingers under control... unless they're directed at Gohan - - then it's allowed, Nep. ;-) Seriously though, i can't stand excruciating button combos. That's when it's time to hurl the game into the garbage. (laughs) Some of these games these days... make you juggle plates on sticks while riding a unicycle. All that work and for what?

Anyway, thanks for taking time out of your life and commenting on one of my last threads, much appreciated. I would have commented back, work has been nuts. I think you used an abbreviation that i wasn't sure about, maybe i can find it later.

All the best,
    P.J.

• Yup, the GC controller was a nightmare, and yet it's remembered fondly. Though if I had to pick a worst it'd be the N64 controller, I mean how are you supposed to hold that thing.

As for a best/favourite, that really depends on a game-by-game basis. It's between the DS4, and a standard keyboard with a 20-key mouse. Pretty much any third person titles goes on the DS4, whereas first person and strategy titles are played on the keyboard and mouse. As a touch typist I guess I'd focus more on the K&M option too.

Still, don't let those horrid controllers get you down. Take some pudding as a gift :)

• I may be weird but I can easily phase between all controllers, don't have a favorite.

• @Tibs said in Controllers:

Still, don't let those horrid controllers get you down. Take some pudding as a gift :)

But it has the wrong name written on it!!! I actually feel bad because I had to look up what the hell nepu means. The translation literally means Neptune's, so I have to ask why you're giving away someone else pudding. ;-)

• @pleco_breeder said in Controllers:

@Tibs said in Controllers:

But it has the wrong name written on it!!! I actually feel bad because I had to look up what the hell nepu means. The translation literally means Neptune's, so I have to ask why you're giving away someone else pudding. ;-)

Think of it as a brand. Like if you have a can of soda with "Mine" written on it, you'd be like "that's my Mine soda", whether or not you are Mine has nothing to do with it.

Didn't you watch the anime?

• I watched it, but anytime I see Japanese writing I stop to read it. Didn't even associate it with Neptune when I first saw the pic because literally all I saw was the writing. Wasn't till I looked up and found out that it was a nickname that I realized there was more to the picture.

Even though I consider myself fluent enough to be able to speak, read, or write anything I come in contact with, occasionally I still find words which don't make sense. I use those as a way to learn new words and expand my vocabulary. Initially, I thought that may have been the case here. As an aside note, pointing out that most of my vocabulary came from textbooks and dictionaries, watching Shimoneta in Japanese for the first time last weekend taught me a slew of words which aren't included in those sorts of references. I learned words there that you wouldn't even hear in a kabukicho bar.

• I've never been Controller Averse per se, but there are some I don't like as much. My favorite is the Dual Shock 4 right now, and I also have a wired 360 controller that I use for my PC. I have a Steam Controller and it has it's up points but the learning curve, and getting it set up in each game can be a chore, but once it's set up it's pretty nice.

• I like the 360 controller. I would like the PS4 one but the battery never lasts that long

• @MidnightAoshi said in Controllers:

I like the 360 controller. I would like the PS4 one but the battery never lasts that long

My problem with the wireless 360 controllers is a lack of being able to just plug it in and play while it charges. PS4 is innately rechargeable like a smartphone, and I don't like to PC game with it wirelessly (too high a latency to play comfortably) so battery is never an issue for me but it usually goes more than a whole day for me (I only recall having to recharge it like twice during my 50 hour HZD playthrough).

• @darthrutsula40 That post pretty much nails down exactly why I don't bother trying to play console games. The standard cord controllers don't have enough reach to go from my TV to the couch, and wireless never seem to have enough battery life for marathon gaming. While it was possible to keep charged packs available, no indication of when the battery was going to die usually meant it was going to happen at the worst possible time. Eventually, just said screw it and went to PC only. Don't play games very often anymore, but at least the computer is reliable.