Black Butler Book of Atlantic DVD/BLURAY DUB-WHEN IS THE RELEASE DATE!?

• We've all been thinking it, we've been waiting patiently, we've been pondering and wondering since June. We know today that in Japan the dvd/bluray comes out, BUT WHEN are we gonna get word for the USA on the Book of Atlantic dvd/bluray!?

I mean we can't wait a whole year or even until Christmas, I say Book of atlantic should release in october OR IF FUNIMATION has finished dubbing it they have to make an announcement soon right?

So when are they gonna release it on dvd? The suspense, the wait, everything-it's not only killing me, but also other fans too? I mean it's been 2 months now since the theater limit time run, SO will it be september or october funimation?

Stop tormenting us already and give us news on book of atlantic.

• There's something in your statement that you just said, about how we know when it comes out on DVD/BD in Japan, which I believe it was yesterday if I am correct.

So here's the thing. In order for Funimation to release it on DVD/BD they need to have those Japanese DVD/BD materials proper, as things can and DO change between the movie that comes out in theaters and the movie that comes out on DVD/BD. So now that the movie came out on BD in Japan, we should probably be able to see a physical release in about 4-5 months. My money's either December or January, as Funimation has already announced their full November release slate.

• @TruffulaGal12 said in Black Butler Book of Atlantic DVD/BLURAY DUB-WHEN IS THE RELEASE DATE!?:

I mean we can't wait a whole year or even until Christmas

Oh, but you will.

• UGHHHH!!~ Then explain how they got the Sailor Moon R movie that came out January/Feb in theaters, BUT THEN came out on dvs/bluray in April EXPLAIN that one hmmm?

Still not my fault I got a short patient fuse-I read the manga vol 11-14, I laughed at parts even of Grell, I rewatched that same clip of grell coming through the ceiling and the whole shibang and also the awesomeness EVEN from clips on tumblr.

IF the dvd/bluray came out today THEN Funimation will probably get the rights and get it on dvd/bluray in october. I mean the October schedule dvd hasn't been released yet I believe SO THERE IS STILL A chance!

• @TruffulaGal12 said in Black Butler Book of Atlantic DVD/BLURAY DUB-WHEN IS THE RELEASE DATE!?:

I mean the October schedule dvd hasn't been released yet I believe SO THERE IS STILL A chance!

Yes it has. And I'm afraid Book of Atlantic isn't on it.

They've announced everything up through the end of November, so it's going to be December at the absolutely earliest.

UGHHHH!!~ Then explain how they got the Sailor Moon R movie that came out January/Feb in theaters, BUT THEN came out on dvs/bluray in April EXPLAIN that one hmmm?

That wasn't Funimation. That was Viz. Different companies have different release schedules.

UGHHHH!!~ Then explain how they got the Sailor Moon R movie that came out January/Feb in theaters, BUT THEN came out on dvs/bluray in April EXPLAIN that one hmmm?

Still not my fault I got a short patient fuse-I read the manga vol 11-14, I laughed at parts even of Grell, I rewatched that same clip of grell coming through the ceiling and the whole shibang and also the awesomeness EVEN from clips on tumblr.

IF the dvd/bluray came out today THEN Funimation will probably get the rights and get it on dvd/bluray in october. I mean the October schedule dvd hasn't been released yet I believe SO THERE IS STILL A chance!

https://www.funimation.com/blog/2017/07/16/october-2017-home-video-releases/

Funimation has announced their October Release slate, Book of the Atlantic isn't there.

Also with Sailor Moon R, that was a re-dub and theatrical release to a pre-existing movie where the master DVD/BD materials already existed for them to release pretty easily in the span of a few months. This is a brand new movie whose DVD/BD materials only just became publicly available in Japan.

As we said, December or January at the earliest, but expect some news on that release to come soon, and please do your best to be patient.

• @TruffulaGal12 An easy way to think of it with regards to new releases is to add 4-6 months AFTER the release in Japan before there is any possibility of a release anywhere else. The releases in Japan are always top dollar, and the first day of the release (at least in my experience with the No Game No Life box set) is nearly a guaranteed sell-out with an astronomical price tag attached. Foreign licensed anime are usually about a third of what it costs in Japan even for older anime (Genshiken box set costed me $165 in Akihabara if you'd like to compare). In order to avoid competing with their own license, and increase the profit enough to cover the production cost of the show, it's standard practice to restrict releases till the Japanese market for the "newest hot item" has ran its course. The price didn't really decrease on older items in Japan that I noticed, but availability did slowly dwindle. Older shows, especially when available as a box set, were still just as expensive as when they were new, if you could find them.

• @pleco_breeder Well listen either way-THEY need to decrease 4-6 months to 3-4 like ANY NORMAL DVD RELEASE when a movie leaves theaters or is in theaters for abit.

@pleco_breeder I can watch my stuff legally online, BUT I buy anime stuff even movies too.

I understand that, and assumed the same based on your interest in buying the movie. I was simply trying to explain the logistics as to why we have to wait longer than the Japanese releases. The alternative, if willing/able, is to import the material at the same cost as it sells for in Japan plus shipping. For the cost difference, I've always opted to wait for local release when available. I have bought some stuff which just wasn't available here, but REALLY have to NEED it before I even consider it an option.

• The thing is, anime is not the same an a Hollywood movie. There are a whole lot of issues that have to be dealt with before anime can be released on dvd here, most have already been explained. A Hollywood movie doesn't really have it wait long, and doesn't have the same hoops to jump through. Heck, it would be great if we had BBC time frames for releases, may times the dvd is out shortly after the show airs, I have seen parts of Dr. Who out before the season finishes airing. But alas, anime is not distributed by the BBC, so we have to wait and abide by the conditions the Japanese set.

• You also have to take into consideration the very real problem of reverse importation. Japanese media on the whole costs a LOT more than it does in America, and considering that Japan and the US both share a bluray region, many Japanese fans try to circumvent the high costs by importing the much cheaper US releases. Obviously, the production companies don't want this, so they have to delay the US release long enough to avoid potentially cannibalizing Japanese sales. It's just one of many necessary evils.

On top of that, this is Aniplex we're talking about. They in particular love giving Funimation the run-around.

You're just going to have to be patient, I'm afraid. Don't worry, you're not going to turn into a pumpkin if it doesn't come out for another few months.

• Not trying to poke fun at either the topic or the poster, but posts like this normally remind me of the early 80's when VCR's were relatively new. At that time, it was pretty standard that it would be about six months after a movie was in theaters before it was ever on cable. Even after that, it would be six months or a year before it became available on VHS at an astronomical price.

I have to wonder if we'll finally see something similar to the amount of change for Hollywood releases over the past 30 years in Japanese releases if we wait another 30 years.

Just my random thought for the moment...

• @SpacemanHardy said in Black Butler Book of Atlantic DVD/BLURAY DUB-WHEN IS THE RELEASE DATE!?:

You also have to take into consideration the very real problem of reverse importation. Japanese media on the whole costs a LOT more than it does in America, and considering that Japan and the US both share a bluray region, many Japanese fans try to circumvent the high costs by importing the much cheaper US releases. Obviously, the production companies don't want this, so they have to delay the US release long enough to avoid potentially cannibalizing Japanese sales. It's just one of many necessary evils.

On top of that, this is Aniplex we're talking about. They in particular love giving Funimation the run-around.

You're just going to have to be patient, I'm afraid. Don't worry, you're not going to turn into a pumpkin if it doesn't come out for another few months.

@SpacemanHardy well to be fair now that Funimation is owned by Sony pictures even though they're not in indirect companies since Aniplex is owned by Sony music there still both still under the Sony banner so maybe they'll finally play nice with Funimation? Well at least we hope so. I'm definitely interested in buying this movie because I think this was the best thing that they ever did and black butler. I mean don't get me wrong I do like the anime. This movie was epic it may me even more of fan of the series.

• @gohan6425 said in Black Butler Book of Atlantic DVD/BLURAY DUB-WHEN IS THE RELEASE DATE!?:

@SpacemanHardy well to be fair now that Funimation is owned by Sony pictures even though they're not in indirect companies since Aniplex is owned by Sony music there still both still under the Sony banner so maybe they'll finally play nice with Funimation?

Them being owned by the same company will not speed up wait or change anything.

• @jlaking said in Black Butler Book of Atlantic DVD/BLURAY DUB-WHEN IS THE RELEASE DATE!?:

@gohan6425 said in Black Butler Book of Atlantic DVD/BLURAY DUB-WHEN IS THE RELEASE DATE!?:

@SpacemanHardy well to be fair now that Funimation is owned by Sony pictures even though they're not in indirect companies since Aniplex is owned by Sony music there still both still under the Sony banner so maybe they'll finally play nice with Funimation?

Them being owned by the same company will not speed up wait or change anything.

@jlaking I did not said it would. I said maybe and hope.

• @TruffulaGal12 I know, right...? They should release it on both DVD and Blu-Ray right away. It went into theaters in July this year, so why no sell it right now on DVD/Blu-Ray? They should... Waiting's boring. :(

• It was just released on Blu-ray in japan last week. Funi cant release shows at the same time as japan. Thats why they cant sell it yet