Why is Kiddy Girl-AND not being dubbed?

• Hi, I wonder why Funimation is not dubbing Kiddy Girl-AND? Why did they license it with no intention on producing a dub even though Kiddy Grade was dubbed? Why didn't Funimation license this anime when it was broadcasting in Japan?

How come some titles are just licensed with no intention of dubbing them in the first place, even if the fans want the anime dubbed?

• @Spaceshotx7 Huh? Where did you get the idea it was not being dubbed in the first place? The only news I've heard is that they are planning on a home video release; there's no mention of whether or not there will be a dub yet.

• @Spaceshotx7 said in Why is Kiddy Girl-AND not being dubbed?:

How come some titles are just licensed with no intention of dubbing them in the first place, even if the fans want the anime dubbed?

This is your only question any of us here can answer.

In the eyes of a company (remember Funimation is a company) what do you think is better? Making no money (not licensing it) or making money (licensing it). For what ever reason they chose/weren't able to dub it yet by licensing it and releasing it sub only they still can make money off it.

You have to remember anime is a niche especially in the west. Only watching dubs is an even bigger niche (I'm not looking down on anyone who is dub only I am just stating facts). Most people seem to have their preference but are fine watching either sub or dub. Dubbing everything is not financially sound but you might find enough fans who will buy a sub only release to recoup the license costs.

Edit:

@GalaxyCrisis said in Why is Kiddy Girl-AND not being dubbed?:

Huh? Where did you get the idea it was not being dubbed in the first place?

The shop only seems to list "Kiddy Girl-AND The Complete Series - BD/DVD Combo (SUB ONLY)" so unless they screwed up the title I'd say it's a pretty safe assumption.

• rightstuf lists it sub only, so i'd say it's official

• @Doublethree100 Okay, fair enough. I was kind of expecting the blog to confirm sub-only releases.

• It's an almost 10-year old sequel to a fairly niche 15/16 year old anime series that it didn't seem like there was a particularly large amount of demand for. Not terribly surprised it was announced Sub-Only tbh.

• Its also clearly part of a very large package deal with Kadokawa. Nichijou, Gosick, Houyka, Worlds Greatest first love, Scrapped Princess, Omamori Himari, and all the other decade old shows they have been getting recently. Probably very, very expensive. Had many of these shows been licensed back when they were newer and, most importantly, relevant, a dub likely would have happened. unfortunately, time marches on and so does viewer interest, so many of these would be a money pit if dubbed today

• @Getchman said in Why is Kiddy Girl-AND not being dubbed?:

Its also clearly part of a very large package deal with Kadokawa. Nichijou, Gosick, Houyka, Worlds Greatest first love, Scrapped Princess, Omamori Himari, and all the other decade old shows they have been getting recently. Probably very, very expensive. Had many of these shows been licensed back when they were newer and, most importantly, relevant, a dub likely would have happened. unfortunately, time marches on and so does viewer interest, so many of these would be a money pit if dubbed today

My heart still mourns for Nichijou getting Sub-Only but I'm just glad it was given a Blu-Ray after all this time.

Gosick/Hyouka dub releases are pretty great too.

• I'm right there with you. Would have loved a dub for Nichijou.

• I'm glad to see that Hyouka got a dub, and really wish Nichijou had gotten one, but Omamori Himari being sub only will be a rather tender wound for years to come.

• This post is deleted!

• @Doublethree100 said in Why is Kiddy Girl-AND not being dubbed?:

@Spaceshotx7 said in Why is Kiddy Girl-AND not being dubbed?:

Making no money (not licensing it)

Well technically with that option they wouldn't have to spend any money at all, therefore not losing any money either which some might not believe but is still very possible with sub-only releases, especially with shows that's previous seasons had dubs.