Thoughts on the situations in Virginia as well as North Carolina?

• The situation seems murky to me to say the least. Apparently, now i hear that there were three groups involved? It was surreal, as if we were witnessing the anger from a YouTube comments section play out in real life as nutty as that sounds. What side did the person driving the car claim to represent other than carnage? The young woman taken out in the prime of her life - - what a tragedy, my thoughts go out to her family. Just ridiculous. I know that there were a number of people in critical condition. Has there been any update on those people? Another area of confusion (at least for me) is how did the police helicopter go down?

Do you believe that the removal of the Robert E. Lee statue(s) will bring about a lasting peace or will actions such as that beget animosity leading to more violence? My concern is, where does it end? Will the Jefferson Memorial be torn down as Jefferson was a slave owner? Is there a way to denounce the negative aspects of a person, yet, appreciate the positive contributions a person has made?

I realize this is a charged subject not necessarily suited for this forum and will completely understand if the mods decide to lock this topic, however, given the gravity of it, was very interested to see where opinion fell here. Please also note, i will most likely not respond to comments directed back at me other than thanking everyone at the end for sharing. My goal is to present this, then gauge opinion of those contributing on the thread without my interference. Thanks for your understanding.

Sincerely,
    P.J.

• @P.J. said in Thoughts on the situations in Virginia as well as North Carolina?:

The situation seems murky to me to say the least. Apparently, now i hear that there were three groups involved? It was surreal, as if we were witnessing the anger from a YouTube comments section play out in real life as nutty as that sounds. What side did the person driving the car claim to represent other than carnage? The young woman taken out in the prime of her life - - what a tragedy, my thoughts go out to her family. Just ridiculous. I know that there were a number of people in critical condition. Has there been any update on those people? Another area of confusion (at least for me) is how did the police helicopter go down?

Do you believe that the removal of the Robert E. Lee statue(s) will bring about a lasting peace or will actions such as that beget animosity leading to more violence? My concern is, where does it end? Will the Jefferson Memorial be torn down as Jefferson was a slave owner? Is there a way to denounce the negative aspects of a person, yet, appreciate the positive contributions a person has made?

I realize this is a charged subject not necessarily suited for this forum and will completely understand if the mods decide to lock this topic, however, given the gravity of it, was very interested to see where opinion fell here. Please also note, i will most likely not respond to comments directed back at me other than thanking everyone at the end for sharing. My goal is to present this, then gauge opinion of those contributing on the thread without my interference. Thanks for your understanding.

Sincerely,
    P.J.

@P-J The fact of the matter is the whole Roberty E. Lee statue should've never been there to begin with. He was a general for the southern Confederate states of America which no longer exists as the United States won the Civil War war. Lee statue is the symbol of his vision while have a statue up for a loser/Somebody who supported the believe in human people with slavery. People that get statues are supposed to represent doing something historical that was good for the country or being a hero. Lee does not fit any these qualifications and therefore his statue should be removed however it should've never been made to begin with! As for the violence that's happening these morons need to stop attacking innocent people white or black we need to all live in peace we are equal in the USA and time for to all stop acting like animals. This nonsense is getting out of control. Though it's worth a mention that it does not help when you have a bozo for president.

• I'm not sure if this forum is the best place to talk about political matters. But if I must, what happened in Charlottesville should never happen, ever. I may not agree with the removal of the statue (mainly because it's a National Historic Site, and Lee did more in life than be the Confederate general), but if it's going to be a breeding ground for white supremacists and Trumpwankers, then go ahead and blow the statue up if you want. My support goes out to the Heyer family and anyone else affected by this tragedy. God bless.

• I know this is not easy to talk about. A special thank you to both Gohan and Gemnist for sharing your thoughts.

Sincerely,
    P.J.

• @Gemnist said in Thoughts on the situations in Virginia as well as North Carolina?:

I may not agree with the removal of the statue (mainly because it's a National Historic Site,

Thankfully, it isn't.

And PJ, there's nothing "murky" about the situation at all.
    I can't go any further about those bastards without violating the ToS.

• A special thank you to Nobu, for sharing your thoughts.

Sincerely,
    P.J.

• This post is deleted!

• @Nobu said in Thoughts on the situations in Virginia as well as North Carolina?:

@Gemnist said in Thoughts on the situations in Virginia as well as North Carolina?:

I may not agree with the removal of the statue (mainly because it's a National Historic Site,

Thankfully, it isn't.

And PJ, there's nothing "murky" about the situation at all.

@Gemnist @Nobu @P-J The fact of madder Roberty E. Lee got off easy! And as @Nobu just proved Roberty E. Lee's statue is not a "national site". Anybody that does the reputation off of him hate like Roberty E. Lee has done should not be this comedy symbol that we treat them as. Even show like robot chicken. The fact madder he was the general of the confederate states of America aka a hate Country that is ok with discriminate and should not have been able to live or at least have been in prison for his war crimes. It does not matter that he may have done stuff early in his life that may have been good. Going by that logic that means Chris Benoit should be in the WWE pro wrestling Hall of Fame. Chris Benoit was a great professional wrestler but at the end of his life he killed his wife and his disabled son and then himself should he be honored for his early deeds of professional wrestling???? Someone like Robert E. Lee encouraged and supported slavery which is inhumane and making people property. When someone kills off of hate and discriminatory towards another human being that person is the scum of the earth. Like @Queenira for example she gay about her struggles of being gay not too long ago people were attacked and then last year The whole Isis incident where innocent people were attacked and killed for no reason most of them where gay which is hate crime not to mention terrorist attack. So here the thing most of Roberty E. Lee's war crimes as well as his discrimination towards black people that were unfairly treated as slaves is absolutely on a unbearable. And the fact that any state including states in the south would actually honor him with a statue is by all means absolutely bull crap. He should've been in prison for what he did but no he got to walk away like nothing happened and moved on with his life. Hate need to STOP! Or we can never move on as a country we can never learn from our mistakes and from ourselves! And if we don't then history will repeat itself if we don't! We move forward to the Future!