Anime mistakes

• There are several things I've seen in just the last month that "bug" me about shows. They're not really enough to destroy entire series but annoying nonetheless. Whether it be from mistakes made by the studio, or pronunciation errors made by voice actors, these are just downright bothersome.

I thought it would be interesting to share some of these and get input from everyone else about the small mistakes which just really get under your skin about your favorite shows. This isn't intended for major plot/story line holes. JUST ANNOYANCES!!!

First, The mysterious growing banner. Episode 8 of Hyouka, right after the opening theme, there is a banner being hung in the background from the roof of the school announcing a swim meet win. The banner is initially only long enough to reach from the roof to the bottom of the second story windows. After the animation breaks away to focus on the conversation taking place for a second, when it again shows the banner in the background, it MYSTERIOUSLY has grown a couple of feet longer and reaches to the ledge between the first and second floors. The writing on the banner takes up the entire length of the banner in both instances.

Second, The pronunciation of Nekoya. Repetitively, in A Restaurant to Another World, the name of the restaurant is pronounced with the oy sounding as in the word boy. This is not correct, and annoys me every time anyone reads the door. I understand localization and all that, and the translation of the original is unusual in it's own right, but this one is just torturous.

Third, In Another World with my Smart Phone. Episode 2 near the end of the English dub. This one is just bad use of the English language. We're not talking about a bad translation. This one literally CREATES an English word in lack of the proper word. While receiving a reward from the duke (who should know the proper word/pronunciation) a line is used, paraphrasing here, "You have the gratitude of the DOOKIE." The proper word is Duchy, pronounced Dutch (same pronunciation from the Black Lagoon character name) followed by a long e sound. Upon hearing the word dookie, thinking of the childish slang for the end product of defecation, I couldn't help but think the appreciation of this duke has the same value as crap. EDIT: A duchy is the area, whether solely power or lands, controlled by a duke.

From here I'll turn the thread over to the rest of the forum, but remember this is only for ANNOYANCES, and not intended to be used to rant about plot holes or story flaws. Just keep it lighthearted.

• Pronunciation errors are a pet peeve of mine as well, especially when it comes to proper names. A recent example I've come across is in episode 1 of In Another World with my Smartphone. Now, the dub pronouncing Linze's name with a silent "e" I can tolerate, but as far as I know, there is no "i" in Elze's name.

• I hate when official sources differ. Should I call the One Piece character "Zoro" or "Zolo"? Viz uses Zolo in the manga and Crunchyroll (probably Funimation for the dub) uses Zoro in the subs.

I also hate JoJo Stands/characters changing their names. Why is "Killer Queen" an issue? Sure that's a song but that's just as much a phrase as "Deadly Queen" or "Kiss" to "Smack". Some of them are super dumb too. Can't wait for Part 6 when we get "Flaccid Pancake" (from Limp Bizkit) and Part 7 with "Filthy Acts, at a Reasonable Price" (from Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap). since those are the official names used in the games.

• @Doublethree100 said in Anime mistakes:

I also hate JoJo Stands/characters changing their names.

Copyrights.
    :edit: And trademarks.

Gotta' keep the lawyers at bay.

• Accents annoys me the most when not done right. Like in Jojo's dub Ceasers Italian accent really bothered me and how Black was portrayed by sounding like multiple people in the Xenoverse game bothered me.

I hate when official sources differ. Should I call the One Piece character "Zoro" or "Zolo"? Viz uses Zolo in the manga and Crunchyroll (probably Funimation for the dub) uses Zoro in the subs.

I also hate JoJo Stands/characters changing their names. Why is "Killer Queen" an issue? Sure that's a song but that's just as much a phrase as "Deadly Queen" or "Kiss" to "Smack". Some of them are super dumb too. Can't wait for Part 6 when we get "Flaccid Pancake" (from Limp Bizkit) and Part 7 with "Filthy Acts, at a Reasonable Price" (from Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap). since those are the official names used in the games.

@Doublethree100 Let me clarify this because there's a lot a confusion. Zoro name in Japan is in fact "Zoro". The whole Zolo thing came into it effect. Back when 4Kids has the license to One piece that where afraid that could get sue for copyright b/c of Zorro you know the Spanish superhero from movie which is pronounced the same way you pronounce Zoro name. Because of this 4Kids and Viz Media Manga. Because of this the decision to localize his name Zolo. When 4Kids lose the rights and Funimation got the rights to one piece, Funimation found out that could get away with seen there only R in Zoro name so that used it for there Dub. However Viz Media already had been printing the manga for years by this point Funimation has got the anime so it would have been more costly to Viz to reprint the same manga just changes Zolo name back to Zoro so the Zolo name stay in the viz manga. If you much just read it as Zoro when his name comes up.

• @Nobu said in Anime mistakes:

Copyrights.

I know this. I missed the title and thought we were listing minor complaints/pet peeves. Still why do some Stands like "Kiss" need to be changed? That's a legit English word that existed before the band and the power has more to do with the act of kissing than the band.

@Nobu said in Anime mistakes:

Copyrights.

I know this. I missed the title and thought we were listing minor complaints/pet peeves. Still why do some Stands like "Kiss" need to be changed? That's a legit English word that existed before the band and the power has more to do with the act of kissing than the band.

@Doublethree100 Wait the new dumb power in Jojo really name is "Kiss" not "Stand" WOW even lamer then I though...

• @gohan6425 No, evidently there is a Stand in Part 6 called Kiss.

• @Doublethree100 - Lawyers.
    As many music group references as there are throughout the series, even a shoddy one could make the case that "Kiss" is actually in reference to the band.

• Pleco Breeder explains,

"I couldn't help but think the appreciation of this duke has the same value as crap.."

(laughs) ;-) You know when you have the affirmation of the dookie you're right on track. What i find interesting, is in the Inuyasha anime, where, Kirara seems to be pronounced with an 'L' sound?

Regards,
    P.J.

• Duchy is funny because they pronounced it correctly in Restaurant to another world. Weird that there isn't someone who double-checks consistency across shows

The only mistake I can remember at the moment is a scene in Gonna Be the Twin-Tail where Twoearle's outfit changed four times in one scene

• @P.J. That's more because of how the "r" sound is pronounced in Japanese; it's kind of a cross between r and l.

• Two mistakes I've noticed recently was that in Attack on Titan season 2 the episode when Bertolt and Reiner revealed themselves to be titans they showed Reiners arm getting cut off then a scene later he has arm back and after that scene they showed it cut off. Which I was kinda shocked since that animation is usually great and never saw mistakes like that before from Wit. Also that in the dub before Reiner admitted he's the armored titan he was talking about how Annie almost killed him before but in the sub version he never mentions her by name.

• @P.J. @GalaxyCrisis Japanese begin taking English late in their elementary school, but never really focus on the enunciation of sounds till high school. This is primarily the issue with these mixed sounds (along with the fact that they don't hear them enough to notice there's a difference in them). On a couple of occasions I was asked about English words involving these sounds, such as why the word rake and lake were the same when there is an obvious different meaning. Therefore, I started paying attention to how my own mouth moved while pronouncing them.

The difference between the two sounds is the placement of the tongue. Toward the back of the mouth and away from the roof is an R, and touching the back of the teeth is an L. Even after realizing and explaining this, a lot of Japanese had trouble with this. It wasn't till I started talking about it to figure out the reason better that it was partially explained to me. There is apparently some psychological/cultural issue with showing the tongue (or even risking it) while speaking.

Those that can pronounce the sound correctly or differentiate it seem to be those same individuals which are more outgoing. Whereas those that have difficulty with it tended to be more demure personalities. This is just a personal observation on my part, with nothing more than my own observations to back it, but did seem to hold true. To be honest, I preferred speaking Japanese while there because there are A LOT of hidden nuances to English which we never think of until we see someone who can't but is trying to apply common sense to the language. Of course, most Japanese believe there are no foreigners capable of speaking their language either, and are usually amazed when they see someone who can speak it fluently.

The anime "Bang Dream", I think it was episode 3, pointed out (really making fun of) the difference in the language barrier from a Westerners perspective. For an example of the same from a Japanese perspective (and they really think we speak Japanese like this) watch Food Wars season 2. I don't remember the episodes of that one, but pay attention to the female judge before being "inspired".