Will Sword Art Online 3 air on Toonami?

• After the whole Blue Exorcist Season 2 announcement of it not being on Toonami and instead going to be exclusive to Hulu. I curious to know if when sword art online 3 English dub comes out and will it still be on Toonami??? I can't see how Toonami would give this one show up since it did very good in rating for season 1 and 2 for Toonami. Does anyone have any info on this?

• @gohan6425 Season 3 hasn't even started yet so who knows. But going by how many exclusives Hulu have been getting first from Aniplex of America their is a good chance season 3 would also be only on Hulu.

• @MidnightAoshi said in Will Sword Art Online 3 air on Toonami?:

@gohan6425 Season 3 hasn't even started yet so who knows. But going by how many exclusives Hulu have been getting first from Aniplex of America their is a good chance season 3 would also be only on Hulu.

@MidnightAoshi I hope not. Toonami alway seen to get the deal 1st but since that did not get Blue Exorcist Season 2 it make one think. But maybe Toonami did not think it was good enough for another season on Toonami. But I can't see then let Sword Art Online get away from them. That got Attack On Titans back and Sword Art Online put in ratings for them. Also wehn Season 3 starting? I though it would be on in Japan already so we can get the dub out soon?

• a third season has not been announced yet. doesn't exist. cant make a guess about something that doesn't exist. sorry

Toonami didn't get the new Blue Exorcist because Aniplex didn't offer it, so they never had a chance. if a third season of SAO is ever made, then you will have to hope Aniplex offers it to Toonami

• @Getchman said in Will Sword Art Online 3 air on Toonami?:

a third season has not been announced yet. doesn't exist. cant make a guess about something that doesn't exist. sorry

Toonami didn't get the new Blue Exorcist because Aniplex didn't offer it, so they never had a chance. if a third season of SAO is ever made, then you will have to hope Aniplex offers it to Toonami

@Getchman I though Toonami had deals where that have the right to get the show 1st if a new season come out that was the case with Attack On Titan. If that had the same deal with Sword Art Online that would get it.

• @gohan6425 said in Will Sword Art Online 3 air on Toonami?:

I though Toonami had deals where that have the right to get the show 1st if a new season come out that was the case with Attack On Titan. If that had the same deal with Sword Art Online that would get it.

They might have that deal for some shows but not others. If Aniplex didn't want to sign that there's nothing Toonami could have done. Aniplex does seem to have a partnership with Hulu for dubs though since I think every one of their dubs in 2017 is streaming exclusively on Hulu.

• I can't verify this, as in having read the articles with my own eyes, but there was a lot of talk after the release of ordinal scale about the prospect of beginning a third season. My understanding, as second hand information, was that the project had been focused on this movie and would be starting with their next project shortly. Having said that, there was some degree of vagueness about this depending upon who you talked to. Some were saying "Season 3 of SAO" was the project being hinted at, but others were still referring to the fact that "Accel World" had been delayed since the SAO crossover with hints of an upcoming season.

I will not weigh in any further than that, but will say that there was a rather quick increase in the number of "Accel World" figures seen in the shops around Akihabara at the time. My personal take on this is that they were building up for a coming release from that series, but that is only my personal conjecture.

Just in case anyone doesn't know, both series are produced by the same individuals and have historically been blamed for clashing with each other for production time.

• @Doublethree100 said in Will Sword Art Online 3 air on Toonami?:

@gohan6425 said in Will Sword Art Online 3 air on Toonami?:

I though Toonami had deals where that have the right to get the show 1st if a new season come out that was the case with Attack On Titan. If that had the same deal with Sword Art Online that would get it.

They might have that deal for some shows but not others. If Aniplex didn't want to sign that there's nothing Toonami could have done. Aniplex does seem to have a partnership with Hulu for dubs though since I think every one of their dubs in 2017 is streaming exclusively on Hulu.

@Doublethree100 But the 1st 2 Season where on Toonami though. And that maybe have sign that deal back in 2014 for SAO II. Though I don't know for sure but that did it for Attack on Titan. And in both season the rating where strong for before that sign SAO II that may have put that in the deal. I hope that did... But I don't know for sure if that did or not.

• @pleco_breeder said in Will Sword Art Online 3 air on Toonami?:

I can't verify this, as in having read the articles with my own eyes, but there was a lot of talk after the release of ordinal scale about the prospect of beginning a third season. My understanding, as second hand information, was that the project had been focused on this movie and would be starting with their next project shortly. Having said that, there was some degree of vagueness about this depending upon who you talked to. Some were saying "Season 3 of SAO" was the project being hinted at, but others were still referring to the fact that "Accel World" had been delayed since the SAO crossover with hints of an upcoming season.

I will not weigh in any further than that, but will say that there was a rather quick increase in the number of "Accel World" figures seen in the shops around Akihabara at the time. My personal take on this is that they were building up for a coming release from that series, but that is only my personal conjecture.

Just in case anyone doesn't know, both series are produced by the same individuals and have historically been blamed for clashing with each other for production time.

@pleco_breeder I though Season 3 was coming out this year or early next year?

But the 1st 2 Season where on Toonami though

Doesn't mean they agreed to give them all future sequels.

I though Season 3 was coming out this year or early next year?

Maybe you're thinking of the movie "Ordinal Scale". SAO S3 hasn't even been announced yet let alone a start date.

• @Doublethree100 said in Will Sword Art Online 3 air on Toonami?:

But the 1st 2 Season where on Toonami though

Doesn't mean they agreed to give them all future sequels.

I though Season 3 was coming out this year or early next year?

Maybe you're thinking of the movie "Ordinal Scale". SAO S3 hasn't even been announced yet let alone a start date.

@Doublethree100 Inless that sign a deal lets Toonami get the TV Rights 1st when that sign the deal for Season 1 and 2... Like that did with Attack on Titan... Which mean AOA USA would have to do it like Funimation did if that was the case.

• Attack on Titan is a completely different creature. Different companies, different deals.

If Toonami didn't get Blue Exorcist despite them airing season 1, not too sure I'd hold my breath for season 3 of SAO whenever it eventually comes.

• @gohan6425 Getting anime is like a competition. Hulu is trying to compete with Netflix, Amazon, Crunchyroll and even with Funimation. They'll try to get anything exclusive so people will sign up to their streaming service. Which seems like they have been doing with the exclusives they have been getting. If season 3 does go to Hulu theirs no point in Toonami trying to get in it also since the whole season will already be on Hulu since they want people to binge watch.

Also the only info about season 3 that I know of is who the Japanese voice actor is going to be for a new character. That's about it.

• @emdier said in Will Sword Art Online 3 air on Toonami?:

Attack on Titan is a completely different creature. Different companies, different deals.

If Toonami didn't get Blue Exorcist despite them airing season 1, not too sure I'd hold my breath for season 3 of SAO whenever it eventually comes.

@emdier Different company yes. Does not mean that did not sign the same deal...

@gohan6425 Getting anime is like a competition. Hulu is trying to compete with Netflix, Amazon, Crunchyroll and even with Funimation. They'll try to get anything exclusive so people will sign up to their streaming service. Which seems like they have been doing with the exclusives they have been getting. If season 3 does go to Hulu theirs no point in Toonami trying to get in it also since the whole season will already be on Hulu since they want people to binge watch.

Also the only info about season 3 that I know of is who the Japanese voice actor is going to be for a new character. That's about it.

@MidnightAoshi Not if that do the same thing with Attack on Titan to what that do with SAO. You know Toonami air it 1st and then the next day Hulu air it on there stream. Also Hulu against Netflix yes but the thing is Netflix does not get that much anime or that just pick here and there and don't even get all season of everything.

If season 3 does go to Hulu theirs no point in Toonami trying to get in it also since the whole season will already be on Hulu since they want people to binge watch.

Toonami started Tokyo Ghoul after both seasons were released dubbed on Blu-ray and streaming on Funimation. They just started Outlaw Star which is streaming in full on Funimation. I don't think they care that much.

Different company yes. Does not mean that did not sign the same deal...

There is also no indication they did.

The reason so many Japanese fans got in a tizzy after Ordinal Scale was because of a colored print of an unknown character got out into circulation. A lot of them assumed this was meant to be an easter egg of things to come. However, no official announcement has been made by studio or committee regarding an upcoming release.

Things like this happen all the time in Japan. The biggest that I'm aware of, and even now regularly hear rumors about, is Monster Musume. However, the re-start of the manga at least gave that crowd something to base their theories on other than the hidden hint at the end of the first season anime.

As to the releases to TV or streaming service which has been discussed, a lot more of that comes down to what a service is willing to pay than I think your giving credit for here. Funimation, Sentai, AoA, etc... are essentially production companies for anime. If they can get a contract with a broadcasting/streaming service which allows them to make a high enough profit by being exclusive to that service for an agreed time, that's where they go. I've assumed that this is the case with the Dragon Ball brand for some time, and suspect similar to be the case of Blue Exorcist as well. If the producer believes they can get higher dollar than is being offered by the current/previous media company (as long as they're not contractually agreed to accept an offer for an upcoming season), they will continue to offer the series up for bidding for that exclusive right.

In the case of Blue Exorcist, a second season was never really known till well after the first was aired. Because it was originally intended to be a single season, as well as knowing the success of the manga and series prior to the second, it is much safer to reserve the right to increase cost of any further seasons. I would expect that there is also an additional cost for maintaining a set fee for broadcast rights to a potential second season within the contract of the first. With no second season expected as of the airing of the first, I wouldn't think the broadcaster would want to accept that cost based upon the possibility of maintaining popularity.

Dragon Ball because it has been in production for so long, it is much safer to avoid this kind of cost increase, so I assume Toonami is going to be much more willing to accept those sort of contract fees.

If SAO were a more consistent producer, given the popularity, I would expect they would also accept those added fees. However, there is never anything known of the potential of an added season and would therefore not make sense to pay the cost of guaranteeing the rights to pick up a season which may or may not happen.

I hope all this rattling on makes sense as I think I may have gotten a bit off topic in place in order to support my thoughts on the issue.

• @gohan6425 Well we won't know until it happens. I'm just saying going by what Aniplex of America and Hulu have been doing it probably won't be on Toonami until a year after Hulu at least. I believe that's how it happened with Durarara season 2 by letting the dub go out to other places also. Aniplex doesn't even simuldub like Funimation and Hulu doesn't even release shows week by week.

Also have you not seen or heard the anime Netflix gets? They get quite a bit and some of them are actually quite popular.

• @Doublethree100 I'm sure they do care since they want more people to watch their TV block.

• Season 3 currently doesn't exist. It may exist in the future, and it is possible that Toonami will air it in the future. But for right now there's nothing to go off of. It is possible, but right now it's unknown.

• @pleco_breeder said in Will Sword Art Online 3 air on Toonami?:

The reason so many Japanese fans got in a tizzy after Ordinal Scale was because of a colored print of an unknown character got out into circulation. A lot of them assumed this was meant to be an easter egg of things to come. However, no official announcement has been made by studio or committee regarding an upcoming release.

Things like this happen all the time in Japan. The biggest that I'm aware of, and even now regularly hear rumors about, is Monster Musume. However, the re-start of the manga at least gave that crowd something to base their theories on other than the hidden hint at the end of the first season anime.

As to the releases to TV or streaming service which has been discussed, a lot more of that comes down to what a service is willing to pay than I think your giving credit for here. Funimation, Sentai, AoA, etc... are essentially production companies for anime. If they can get a contract with a broadcasting/streaming service which allows them to make a high enough profit by being exclusive to that service for an agreed time, that's where they go. I've assumed that this is the case with the Dragon Ball brand for some time, and suspect similar to be the case of Blue Exorcist as well. If the producer believes they can get higher dollar than is being offered by the current/previous media company (as long as they're not contractually agreed to accept an offer for an upcoming season), they will continue to offer the series up for bidding for that exclusive right.

In the case of Blue Exorcist, a second season was never really known till well after the first was aired. Because it was originally intended to be a single season, as well as knowing the success of the manga and series prior to the second, it is much safer to reserve the right to increase cost of any further seasons. I would expect that there is also an additional cost for maintaining a set fee for broadcast rights to a potential second season within the contract of the first. With no second season expected as of the airing of the first, I wouldn't think the broadcaster would want to accept that cost based upon the possibility of maintaining popularity.

Dragon Ball because it has been in production for so long, it is much safer to avoid this kind of cost increase, so I assume Toonami is going to be much more willing to accept those sort of contract fees.

If SAO were a more consistent producer, given the popularity, I would expect they would also accept those added fees. However, there is never anything known of the potential of an added season and would therefore not make sense to pay the cost of guaranteeing the rights to pick up a season which may or may not happen.

I hope all this rattling on makes sense as I think I may have gotten a bit off topic in place in order to support my thoughts on the issue.

@pleco_breeder Yeah but Toonami knew a Season 3 coming b/c Season 2 was made and the movie and all.