Thoughts on N. Korea?

• At least to me, this situation is deeply concerning and i feel like it cannot end anywhere good. In part, because they probably think they have nothing to lose (the most dangerous place to be). I think i even heard it said of them that they consider themselves like a porcupine with spines on all sides of which oncomers wouldn’t dare attack. Seems like continual taunting from the regime, from launching missiles, to the return of Otto Warmbier (with fate essentially sealed) now to threatening Guam. The situation with Warmbier alone disgusted me to a place where i didn’t even purchase Stay! Stay! Democratic People’s Republic of Korea! on STEAM which was released around the timeframe of that situation. Granted, the publishers of the game have nothing to do with Korea and me not purchasing a STEAM game is trivial, however, it provides you with a window into my feelings for the time. All i can say is, Japan better not be targeted as, Lord knows, things are going to get ugly if i don’t have my anime fix. ;-) Seriously though, my thoughts are with the Japanese people at this time, one can only imagine the stress this has undoubtedly put them under.

Overall, makes me think that perhaps we should have let Mr. MacArthur finish his work at the 38th or allow for President Reagan’s operation “Star Wars” as i am not entirely convinced of China's leverage over the North.

Sincerely,
    P.J.

• To understand the whole situation, think of it this way. North Korea is a little kid who wants a seat at the big kids table.

To try and get that, They are showing the world that they have the big kid toys too and might be willing to use them. Right now, they are posturing, it kind of backfired on them when the UN sanctioned them. We shall see how it all plays out.

• @P.J. said in Thoughts on N. Korea?:

At least to me, this situation is deeply concerning and i feel like it cannot end anywhere good. In part, because they probably think they have nothing to lose (the most dangerous place to be). I think i even heard it said of them that they consider themselves like a porcupine with spines on all sides of which oncomers wouldn’t dare attack. Seems like continual taunting from the regime, from launching missiles, to the return of Otto Warmbier (with fate essentially sealed) now to threatening Guam. The situation with Warmbier alone disgusted me to a place where i didn’t even purchase Stay! Stay! Democratic People’s Republic of Korea! on STEAM which was released around the timeframe of that situation. Granted, the publishers of the game have nothing to do with Korea and me not purchasing a STEAM game is trivial, however, it provides you with a window into my feelings for the time. All i can say is, Japan better not be targeted as, Lord knows, things are going to get ugly if i don’t have my anime fix. ;-) Seriously though, my thoughts are with the Japanese people at this time, one can only imagine the stress this has undoubtedly put them under.

Overall, makes me think that perhaps we should have let Mr. MacArthur finish his work at the 38th or allow for President Reagan’s operation “Star Wars” as i am not entirely convinced of China's leverage over the North.

Sincerely,
    P.J.

@P-J You know what I say about North Korea? Screw them. (there's much more I would actually say but I know this fourm won't allow me to say it) It's high about time that their country be merged with South Korea but South Korea's government being the one that emerges. The Korean War never officially ended all they did was stop fighting. Technically speaking the Korean War never officially ended armistice agreement it was just for them to stop fighting. South Korea government should own there whole Country. North Korea's leader is a flat out B******! All though poor people he killed in cold blood to self-proclaimed his own ego hell he even killed his own freaking relative. We could used "hope of the universe" right now. Against today's real life Frieza! Ally to Good Nightmare to him! Sadly we have a terrible president in US right now that's moderating and making the decisions on whether we go to war with these numb nuts Crazy country. -_- Just not a good day not at all for are Country.

• Hi Gohan and Series5Ranger,

Thanks for your input.

Gohan explains,

"he even killed his own relative..."

Thank you for that catch, i had totally forgotten about that!

Sincerely,
    P.J.

• Sadly we have a terrible president in US right now that's moderating and making the decisions on whether we go to war with these numb nuts Crazy country.

If anything he'd be the one to bring an end to N.K.

And the Korean War was just an extension of the Cold War. South Korea has US, but the North doesn't have their greatest benefactor anymore (which WAS the USSR). The US did go in and just wreck shit up during the Korean War. After the war, N.K. actually had a more prosperous recovery period compared to the South up until, I think, the 90's after that flood which caused the famine. That was when they became stagnant. It all really went downhill when Kim Jong-Il came into power.

I'm not going to say that the reason N.K. exists is because of the US, but we at least had a big hand in it.

However, don't blame all of the North Koreans for being the way they are. Its those in power who are the ones making the big decisions, and their major animosity to the US isn't unfounded (however I feel we shouldn't be the only ones in the crosshairs).

Its not super clear cut as we like to make it out to be, its not like there's a steady stream of news out of there other than the missle stuff. Believe it or not, South Korea and North Korea have actually been working together in a neutral zone where they actually do sciencey things with each other (I forget what that place is called though).

Its not as simple as nuking them. Because there's 3 other countries, all of which are major economic allies, that are in close proximity to NK. The fallout to such a blast can be devastating, assuming we are going with the logic of everyone in the country being an enemy. If they were like... Russia sized, it'd be a bit of an easier arguement because you wouldn't need to worry so much about the nuclear fallout.

• @darthrutsula40 While I agree this isn't completely North Korea at fault, they have their own intent of nationalizing with the south as well as held over hostility from the the war. There is one thing which I feel should be corrected though. I do not know anyone from North Korea to give their side of the story. However, I do have several friends in South Korea that I worked with and went to school with while in Japan. Females did not have much to add to the conversation other than the information which is dispersed by media and government outlets (all very negative opinions by the way). The men of South Korea are required to do two years of military service upon completing high school before college, and had a VERY negative outlook of the north because of incidents which have taken place along the DMZ at the 38th parallel. Even though there is an armistice in place, it's still rather common for patrols to find mines in this area, and they are insistent that excursions into this DMZ by the north are taking place constantly just for this purpose. Both sides are very protective of this area and, even though it is supposed to be a neutral area with nobody entering, our conversations made it obvious that it was commonplace for military activities to take place there.

As to my own opinion on this situation, I believe the deciding factor will be China's involvement. That is really the only outside support that has been available to the north since their economy took a nosedive. China did side with the UN on the recent sanctions, but whether they stick with it or not is going to be a question of loyalty. At this moment, I feel that is the wildcard. If China opts to stick with the north militarily, regardless of backing sanctions, as happened in the 50's, this entire situation will continue as a stalemate. If China takes a stand, and tells them they're on their own to deal with repercussions of their actions, I suspect this will either be resolved diplomatically or with a brief military campaign. Diplomatically, and the government has the ability to continue their operations. If it requires military action, as long as China isn't involved, the south will become the official government.

It may sound like I'm giving China too much credit, but they are the reason the war never ended. Their military is not something to take lightly, and they also control a sizeable portion of the global economy because of their exports.

• @pleco_breeder Kaesong Industrial Region was the "neutral" area I was referring to where both Koreas work together.

• @darthrutsula40 That was an "oops" on my part. Didn't intentionally tag you in the post, and was simply trying to add what info I have to the thread.

• @darthrutsula40 said in Thoughts on N. Korea?:

Sadly we have a terrible president in US right now that's moderating and making the decisions on whether we go to war with these numb nuts Crazy country.

If anything he'd be the one to bring an end to N.K.

And the Korean War was just an extension of the Cold War. South Korea has US, but the North doesn't have their greatest benefactor anymore (which WAS the USSR). The US did go in and just wreck shit up during the Korean War. After the war, N.K. actually had a more prosperous recovery period compared to the South up until, I think, the 90's after that flood which caused the famine. That was when they became stagnant. It all really went downhill when Kim Jong-Il came into power.

I'm not going to say that the reason N.K. exists is because of the US, but we at least had a big hand in it.

However, don't blame all of the North Koreans for being the way they are. Its those in power who are the ones making the big decisions, and their major animosity to the US isn't unfounded (however I feel we shouldn't be the only ones in the crosshairs).

Its not super clear cut as we like to make it out to be, its not like there's a steady stream of news out of there other than the missle stuff. Believe it or not, South Korea and North Korea have actually been working together in a neutral zone where they actually do sciencey things with each other (I forget what that place is called though).

Its not as simple as nuking them. Because there's 3 other countries, all of which are major economic allies, that are in close proximity to NK. The fallout to such a blast can be devastating, assuming we are going with the logic of everyone in the country being an enemy. If they were like... Russia sized, it'd be a bit of an easier arguement because you wouldn't need to worry so much about the nuclear fallout.

@darthrutsula40 If anything President Trump going lead to have us be in World War 3... Yes the Korea War was apart of the Cold War. But it does not change what we going though today. He we taken out them back in the 50's we would not have to had deal with this guy today. North Korea Leader is no different them Hitler in my opinion. Yes he is a communist leader and not a Factious Leader like Hitler was but he still is kill people for NO REASON! He has NO RIGHT TO RULE! This is why Kings for the most most part in not in power anymore but at the same time people should be alot to force there way into power. The North Korea Leader kill his own brother to show no one in in his family can take his power! It nothing more then genocide! Though leaders that abuse their power and kill in cold blood, though leader that kill better be prepared to be kill. As the word of Lelouch... As for the South that did nothing wrong and US back then b/c there right. North is nothing but Evil. Yet there many nice people there but the people that are nice are mostly getting kill for no reason.

• @pleco_breeder said in Thoughts on N. Korea?:

@darthrutsula40 That was an "oops" on my part. Didn't intentionally tag you in the post, and was simply trying to add what info I have to the thread.

Oh okay, it looked like you were trying to say that there isn't such a place that I was describing (though it did make me actually put the effort into the name)

I should also add a little to what I said:

If they were like... Russia sized, it'd be a bit of an easier arguement because you wouldn't need to worry so much about the nuclear fallout.

the implication I'm making is that since Russia is so big, a nuke to pretty much anywhere in Russia wouldn't have nearly the amount of fallout that a place like NK being nuked would be. N.K is in a pretty strategic place as far as being an enemy of the US is, they are right between two major allies and a third not being that far from the shore. Two of those countries being among the top 5 major economic powers in the world. Nuking N.K. could yield some very bad consequences if we did it without consideration for those three places. Oh and then there's all that water, I imagine we'd pretty much be poisoning the water (and therefore the fish).

• Hello once again Darth,

You explain,

“It all really went downhill when Kim Jong-Il came into power.”

I don’t dispute that, however, would you also add Kim Il-sung to that as well?

I remember reading an article during my undergraduate work on “human experimentation” conducted by the North wherein women were given cabbage soaked in a chemical to eat. Suffice it to say, after continuous expulsion, they perished shortly after - - grim stuff to say the least and haunting to remember. Perhaps i should go into my files to find it again for the specific reference, but, really don’t want to.

Sincerely,
    P.J.

• @P.J.

I don’t dispute that, however, would you also add Kim Il-sung to that as well?

While I won't say he wasn't a terrible person, he is responsible for the N.K. reconstruction after the war where the North's economy was actually stronger compared to the south's for a decade or two iirc.

Not like the US doesn't have skeletons in their closet too.

• Kim Jong UN is the devil. He is a murderer and a war criminal. he needs to pay for his crimes against humanity. He is just as bad as Adolph Hitler or even worse.

Why doesn't the US sent in a team of operatives to assassinate him?

• @Spaceshotx7 said in Thoughts on N. Korea?:

Kim Jong UN is the devil. He is a murderer and a war criminal. he needs to pay for his crimes against humanity. He is just as bad as Adolph Hitler or even worse.

Why doesn't the US sent in a team of operatives to assassinate him?

@Spaceshotx7 Well he has the thing call nuclear mission that can kill many people with it. But I with you he NO different then Hitler. He kill people for no reason even his own brother. Anyone who look at him wrong gets killed by him. North Korea government need to end it about time South Korea take over there government is much better and is how the country SHOULD be run there.

• I agree. Kim Jong In is the Hitler or Stalin of the 21st century. His regime is the worst in the world. He even goes against the UN. I'm sure he wants to start a third world war.

Something has to be done. Otherwise he could for all you know end up launching a massive attack on the 2018 or even the 2020 Olympic games, killing millions of people.

• Something has to be done. Otherwise he could for all you know end up launching a massive attack on the 2018 or even the 2020 Olympic games, killing millions of people.

Sounds like a bad idea. Their olympic players are probably their best treated citizens, and by attacking those games you essentially declare war on the world because someone from every country is present. N.K. "only" hates the US and stand to lose everything if they accidentally targetted a chinese or korean person.

But I with you he NO different then Hitler.

Nah he is different. Hitler was smarter and probably one of the best public speakers to have ever existed. He brought his country out of a depression, as well as Mao, to where they are as economic powerhouses of the world. They both fought to where they got to during their time.

Jong Un inherited his status and hasn't done anything except escalate tensions with the Capitalistic world. The only thing he could take credit for is building a missile that can reach half way around the world (something that pretty much every other nation is able to do, and was able to do it in less trial and error attempts)

Something has to be done. Otherwise he could for all you know end up launching a massive attack on the 2018 or even the 2020 Olympic games, killing millions of people.

Sounds like a bad idea. Their olympic players are probably their best treated citizens, and by attacking those games you essentially declare war on the world because someone from every country is present. N.K. "only" hates the US and stand to lose everything if they accidentally targetted a chinese or korean person.

Nah he is different. Hitler was smarter and probably one of the best public speakers to have ever existed. He brought his country out of a depression, as well as Mao, to where they are as economic powerhouses of the world. They both fought to where they got to during their time.

Jong Un inherited his status and hasn't done anything except escalate tensions with the Capitalistic world. The only thing he could take credit for is building a missile that can reach half way around the world (something that pretty much every other nation is able to do, and was able to do it in less trial and error attempts)

@darthrutsula40 You do know when I said he like Hitler I was talking about him KILLING people for no reason? Hitler killed millions of Jewish people and other who when against him.

• @gohan6425 said in Thoughts on N. Korea?:

@darthrutsula40 said in Thoughts on N. Korea?:

@darthrutsula40 You do know when I said he like Hitler I was talking about him KILLING people for no reason? Hitler killed millions of Jewish people and other who when against him.

There were/are reasons. You can't stay in power (as a dictator) unless you either, are a pretty benevolent dictator (King Sejong the Great? You generally don't get the title of great unless you were... great), or murder everyone that dares to think you aren't great (those infamous dictators like Stalin, hey why don't those dictators have "the terrible" as a title like some other ones?).

But "senseless killing"? A LOTTT of leaders have those. But what about choosing to not intervene? Assad is a pretty terrible person (gassing his own people) but we haven't done anything other than make threats and not follow-through. Wouldn't that make the American leaders indirectly killing these people by NOT doing anything? How about China and South Korea? Both are pretty much North Korea's only economic allies, are they also responsible for Kim Jong-Un? Harry Truman allowed both bombs to happen in Nagasaki and Hiroshima. Japanese soldiers commited atrocities while Germany was doing their anti-jew thing in Europe but we only focus on the theocide in Europe.

But these people have accomplishments to their name.

@gohan6425 said in Thoughts on N. Korea?:

There were/are reasons. You can't stay in power (as a dictator) unless you either, are a pretty benevolent dictator (King Sejong the Great? You generally don't get the title of great unless you were... great), or murder everyone that dares to think you aren't great (those infamous dictators like Stalin, hey why don't those dictators have "the terrible" as a title like some other ones?).

But "senseless killing"? A LOTTT of leaders have those. But what about choosing to not intervene? Assad is a pretty terrible person (gassing his own people) but we haven't done anything other than make threats and not follow-through. Wouldn't that make the American leaders indirectly killing these people by NOT doing anything? How about China and South Korea? Both are pretty much North Korea's only economic allies, are they also responsible for Kim Jong-Un? Harry Truman allowed both bombs to happen in Nagasaki and Hiroshima. Japanese soldiers commited atrocities while Germany was doing their anti-jew thing in Europe but we only focus on the theocide in Europe.

@darthrutsula40 Wrong South Korea is a democratic Government and that's who should be ruling over North Korea not some communist government especially a dictator like Jong. South Koreathe United States are allies. Also President Truman launch the nuclear bomb because Japanese were being stubborn and one withdrawl from the war everyone else on the axis powers did except them. So he really didn't give the president a choice we were at WAR. Yes was it wrong? Yes it absolutely was. But we were at war and longer we at war the longer, The harder it was for us to get out of it especially when we have to spend more money to continue battling Japan.

• @gohan6425 said in Thoughts on N. Korea?:

@gohan6425 said in Thoughts on N. Korea?:

@darthrutsula40 Wrong South Korea is a democratic Government and that's who should be ruling over North Korea not some communist government especially a dictator like Jong. South Koreathe United States are allies. Also President Truman launch the nuclear bomb because Japanese were being stubborn and one withdrawl from the war everyone else on the axis powers did except them. So he really didn't give the president a choice we were at WAR. Yes was it wrong? Yes it absolutely was. But we were at war and longer we at war the longer, The harder it was for us to get out of it especially when we have to spend more money to continue battling Japan.

Of course North Korea is democratic, its right there in it's name (pretty much twice) DEMOCRATRIC People's REPUBLIC of Korea.

And when did I mention anything about either Korea being democratic?

(I am 100% aware that DPRK has no democratic system, I'm just pointing out that its in the name and therefore is)

I hope this was intended to be a redundant question. "or murder everyone that dares to think you aren't great" ;-)