Gotta’ love that diversity of opinion over at Google...

• So, i recently came across this and thought to myself, here we go again. Apparently, an unnamed Google engineer authored a ten [10] page paper critiquing Google’s diversity programs and highlighted differences he perceived with respect to gender. In the end, Google terminated this employee on grounds that his opinion was antithetical to the core initiatives of Google as a company. I call horsehockey on this. It’s not as if the memo threatened anyone with violence; just because a difference of opinion is expressed does NOT mean you take away someone’s livelihood. Just ridiculous. There definitely seems to be this spectre of silencing opinion (unless it lines up with a particular school of thought) these days. Problem is, the best ideas are brought to the surface when you have that difference of opinion. In part, another reason why i’m tired of “locked” threads on this forum. Anyway, instead of Google focusing on improving their G-Mail login interface AND the YouTube interface, they single out this guy. Way to go Google!
    0_1502261769197_Thumbs up emoticon.JPG
    (heartily laughs to self) This is yet another reason for me to employ Bing. Feel free to comment if you so desire.

Regards,
    P.J.

• @P.J. said in Gotta’ love that diversity of opinion over at Google...:

his opinion was antithetical to the core initiatives of Google as a company

I thought Google's was "Don't be evil."

So, i recently came across this and thought to myself, here we go again. Apparently, an unnamed Google engineer authored a ten [10] page paper critiquing Google’s diversity programs and highlighted differences he perceived with respect to gender. In the end, Google terminated this employee on grounds that his opinion was antithetical to the core initiatives of Google as a company. I call horsehockey on this. It’s not as if the memo threatened anyone with violence; just because a difference of opinion is expressed does NOT mean you take away someone’s livelihood. Just ridiculous. There definitely seems to be this spectre of silencing opinion (unless it lines up with a particular school of thought) these days. Problem is, the best ideas are brought to the surface when you have that difference of opinion. In part, another reason why i’m tired of “locked” threads on this forum. Anyway, instead of Google focusing on improving their G-Mail login interface AND the YouTube interface, they single out this guy. Way to go Google!
    0_1502261769197_Thumbs up emoticon.JPG
    (heartily laughs to self) This is yet another reason for me to employ Bing. Feel free to comment if you so desire.

Regards,
    P.J.

He wasn't silenced because he had a difference of opinion. He was fired because he made the company look bad. First off this isn't political correctness since political correctness doesn't really exist. Its a snarl word used by those on the right to take shots at those who have leftist views. Second companies don't want to look bad (nothing wrong this line of thinking all business at least on paper) so they often don't want to be attached or associated with people who make the company look bad. For example look when Tiger Woods was having those personal issues year ago, some companies that sponsored him decided that it wasn't in their best interest in keep associating with someone like him.

The dude obviously has misogynistic viewpoints and he felt it was in his best interest to let them out. Google felt it was in their best interest to not have him be an employee anymore with the company. Regardless if the memo got out he would have been let go. Men have always tried to use science in the past to claim that women are inferior http://gizmodo.com/men-have-always-used-science-to-explain-why-theyre-bett-1797608461. Then again we have the POTUS spot misogynistic viewpoints and admits to grabbing women by a certain body part.

PS: I'm not trying to turn this into a political discussion, I just needed to get my view point out there.

• As someone who is forced upon to use Bing on me Windows Phone @P-J , don't.

There is death, rape, torture... And then there is Bing....

• You're upset that Google fired someone who, by being an employee (and therefore representative), shared his sexist viewpoint? What would you rather him stay with them?

Disney cancelled whatever they had with PewDiePie because of a stupid video he made. They are allowed to make these decisions.

• otakuanthony explains,

“I just needed to get my view point out there.”

Funny how there is something in the human spirit that desires for that to happen... (laughs) ;-)

Darth explains,

“What would you rather him stay with them?”

I would say, at the point where this matter is concretely interfering with this person’s ability to perform the critical competencies of his position, he might be considered for dismissal. And, even if disciplinary action is taken, firing is a pretty big leap. First infraction: verbal warning. Second infraction: suspension without pay for a period of time. And again, this is all subjective unless it can be demonstrably proven that workplace efficiency has declined. Until that point, everything else is subsidiary. By the way, i was surprised that you didn’t comment on my thread here. (laughs) ;-)

Take care,
    P.J.

otakuanthony explains,

“I just needed to get my view point out there.”

Funny how there is something in the human spirit that desires for that to happen... (laughs) ;-)

Darth explains,

“What would you rather him stay with them?”

I would say, at the point where this matter is concretely interfering with this person’s ability to perform the critical competencies of his position, he might be considered for dismissal. And, even if disciplinary action is taken, firing is a pretty big leap. First infraction: verbal warning. Second infraction: suspension without pay for a period of time. And again, this is all subjective unless it can be demonstrably proven that workplace efficiency has declined. Until that point, everything else is subsidiary. By the way, i was surprised that you didn’t comment on my thread here. (laughs) ;-)

Take care,
    P.J.

What would you do? Its kinda obvious you wouldn't want him to be a mentor, do you move him to a different department? Do you move many people to accomodate his "needs"? What can you do that wouldn't cause problems to other workers?e Take it to HR? Discriminatory comments are massively frowned upon and are fireable offenses in many businesses.