Check Out the All New FunimationNow Playstation 4 App!

• 0_1502206557410_ps4 power.jpg

Hi all!

You may have noticed the long awaited FunimationNow PS4 app update went live yesterday! (8/7/2017.) Some users reported experiencing connectivity issues, @FunimationHelp believes the issue has been resolved but we will continue to monitor things over the next few days. Please let us know if you're experiencing any bugs with the app.

On to the features! You spoke, and we listened. The FunimationNow PlayStation4 app has been revamped to dramatically improve your viewing experience! Our completely redesigned (and free!) app has tons of great new features, including:

Access

1. Premium subscribers – access all app features and the full library of SimulDub and catalog streaming anime that is available on Funimation.com. Most videos will stream without ads.

2. Free – watch limited videos with ad support. Gain access to mature-rated videos, My Queue, and a saved watch history.

3. Anonymous – preview the app and watch limited videos with ad support.
      Navigation

4. The app uses the PS4 software keyboard. This enables the use of a USB or Bluetooth connected keyboard, the use of the PS4 mobile app, and allows you to use previously entered words to assist with logging in and with search.

5. Use the controller to help you get around the app faster with the below shortcuts:
      a. R1 and L1 skips every 5 items in a list.
      b. Pushing L1 when at the beginning of a list goes immediately to the end of the list, and pushing R1 when at the end of a list goes immediately to the beginning.
      c. Pushing R2 or L2 while on a Shows list sorted alphabetically will skip to the first show beginning with the next letter of the alphabet.
      d. Pushing R2 or L2 while on a list of videos on a Show Detail screen skips to the next or previous season. (You can also move to any season via a Season chooser dropdown.)

6. You can fully control the app using the PS4 Universal Remote. FWD Scan and REV Scan are mapped to R2 and L2. Next and Prev are mapped to R1 and L1.

Easier Navigation

0_1502208334353_home.jpg

1. Home – the Home screen helps you start streaming immediately and gives suggestions for what to watch next:
      a. Featured Shows list
      b. Continue Watching – a list of your most recently watched shows, so you can pick up where you left off as soon as you load up the app no matter what you were watching on previously.
      c. My Queue – the top shows in your Queue. You can control the order of these shows from your account on Funimation.com.
      d. Recently Added – a list of the most recent SimulDub and catalog releases. You can access the full list from the Shows screen.ou
      e. Lists of shows from the Action/Adventure, Sci Fi, Fan Service, and Slice of Life genres.
    2. Shows, SimulDubs, and Genres – Browse the SimulDubs, a particular genre, or the full list of shows. Each Shows list screen displays information about each show, including the latest release. You can sort the Show list screens by latest release, show name (A-Z), show name (Z-A) or by popularity.
    3. Search – Search for a show using the PS4 software keyboard, which saves previously used search terms. Search results are presented with other relevant data, including show summary, production year, maturity rating, and highest available video quality.
    4. Show Detail – You’ll be able to immediately begin watching a show from where you left off as soon as the screen is loaded. However, you can also add the show to your Queue, rate it, or browse through the list of episodes or movies. Pushing R2 or L2 lets you skip to each season!

More Customization

0_1502208361733_options.jpg

1. Settings – watch anime your way with the below settings:
      a. Video Quality – Set the video quality to best fit your setup. You can choose from auto, low, medium, or high.
      b. Default Language – You can set this to English or Japanese. The app will override this setting appropriately if you watch in multiple languages.
      c. Subtitles – Sets the soft subtitles (Japanese Audio), when available, to on or off. This setting is on by default.
      d. Closed Captions – Sets the closed captions (English Audio), when available, to on or off. This setting is off by default.
      e. Auto-Play (Marathon) – Only available to Premium subscribers. Turn this on to stream episodes in a playlist for up to 3 hours with no interaction.
      f. Restrict Mature Content – Restricts access to mature-rated videos. You can only manage this setting from your account at Funimation.com.
    2. Check your subscription plan and account info, read the terms of service and privacy policy, and get a description of the app and the version number.
    3. Help – Look to the controller guide for tricks on navigating and controlling the app, but there is also a legend at the bottom of each screen. You can also refer to the FAQ for other information.
      Video Player
    4. PS4 Universal Remote Support! In addition to the PS4 buttons on the remote, you can use the video playback buttons on the remote to control the player. Pushing Stop will exit the player immediately, even when the controls are displayed. See the below control table.
    5. Player Controls:

0_1502207221927_controller.jpg

Clearer Video, Less Buffering

a. The video quality is automatically adjusted based on your internet connection download speed to avoid buffering during playback.
    b. The video player will resume from where you left off (per language/version) and will restart a video automatically if you’ve already finished it.
    c. The video player controls will automatically appear during the first couple seconds of playback and then disappear. You can bring up the UI by pushing the directional buttons. The UI will disappear on its own after a few seconds, including when it is paused, if you stop interacting with it, but you can dismiss it manually by pushing Circle.

0_1502207581077_scroll.jpg

d. Relevant data for the video you are watching is displayed, including language and version.
    e. If you have Auto-Play (Marathon) enabled, a 10-second countdown will appear after the end of the video, and then the player will automatically begin playing the next video. Marathoning will stop and the player will automatically exit if the next video is not the same language and version as what you just watched, when it has finished the last sequential video, or when it has been 3 hours without interaction from you.
    f. If the video has soft subtitles or closed captions, and you bring up the video player controls, the soft subtitles or closed captions will jump out of the way, so you can still read them.
    g. The look of the closed captions and soft subtitles can be managed from the PS4 settings.

1. Player Options
      a. Change the language
      b. Turn the soft subtitles or closed captions on and off (when available)
      c. Rate the video

0_1502206433378_PS4_Hero_.gif

Loving the new features? Let us know here! Try out the new app, and let us know what you think! There’s a world of anime waiting to be watched.

• If you have a queue that's larger than 50 items, you might want to avoid updating. They really screwed this up. It truncates at 50 items, meaning that if you have a queue larger than that you won't be able to access your content there anymore. You will be able to add new items at the queue, but they will never show up here. Specifically, after clicking add to queue it changes to remove from queue, to indicate that it's currently in the queue, but when you leave the menu and go back to it it's no longer treating it like it's already in the queue and you have to add it again because it never actually went into the queue. Even though the items were in the queue before updating, they're treated like they were never in there.

It's also tediously slow to go through the list, although I think that's because the menus have a really slow loading time in general.

You also cannot access episode list by looking at your recently watched anymore, since clicking a title will just launch the entire episode without even an option to go into the menu anymore.

That means you're only option for checking to see if there's a new episode of something that you have been watching is to search for it every single time. That's really stupid.

It may look better, but it's functionally inferior to the last version and I wish I didn't update.

Funimation:
    Please roll back to the last stable version, or remove the truncate, or provide an in app way to decide which 50 items appear. Even if it's just a simple, "Most recent 1st" that would help for now, though wouldn't completely fix it.

On the bright side, I like that I could actually rate titles within the app though. Still something of a deal-breaker that I can't have a proper queue anymore.

• 50-item Queue was part of a temporary fix for the loading issue. It will be fully resolved next week, so that you'll be able to access your full queue.

You actually can decide which items appear in your Queue right now by going to your Queue on the website. You can drag and drop the Shows in your list to change the order, and the app will reflect that order. However, we will also be changing it so newly added shows appear at the top of Queue instead of at the bottom, so that you don't have to do that.

We can add an option to go to Show Detail from the Continue Watching carousel. Would pushing "Options" while focused on a video thumbnail work for that?

As for the load times, we will be looking into further optimizing them. If you have any specific feedback regarding this, please post about it.

• @Sophie said in Check Out the All New FunimationNow Playstation 4 App!:

50-item Queue was part of a temporary fix for the loading issue. It will be fully resolved next week, so that you'll be able to access your full queue.

You actually can decide which items appear in your Queue right now by going to your Queue on the website. You can drag and drop the Shows in your list to change the order, and the app will reflect that order. However, we will also be changing it so newly added shows appear at the top of Queue instead of at the bottom, so that you don't have to do that.

We can add an option to go to Show Detail from the Continue Watching carousel. Would pushing "Options" while focused on a video thumbnail work for that?

As for the load times, we will be looking into further optimizing them. If you have any specific feedback regarding this, please post about it.

@JayHairston @Sophie i'll say what I've already said in a previous thread as well as the PlayStation thread go back to the old version it looks nothing like this. That is all.

• @gohan6425 We can look into supporting your old CRT TV, but the most we'll maybe be able to do is make the design responsive to a 4:3 aspect ratio. I'm not even sure if that is possible.

• @Sophie said in Check Out the All New FunimationNow Playstation 4 App!:

@gohan6425 We can look into supporting your old CRT TV, but the most we'll maybe be able to do is make the design responsive to a 4:3 aspect ratio. I'm not even sure if that is possible.

@Sophie Ok thanks.

• @Sophie hmm. If you have a more complete update to be ready in a week, why release it now? And without giving people the heads up that the update was going to take away a feature, even temporarily? I would have preferred to at least know before I update if any feature is removed or if updating will cause me any problems. I could of course see how you might want to push it out sooner for people with a small list, but that still seems like a pretty important thing to tell people which is exactly why that was in my comment.

As far as the website goes, it is so slow in loading the items that I don't really like using it at all. You are doing this whole endless feed in type thing where the items are loading little by little instead of in one page of still images. Until I dragged down to them they don't even start loading. I could write a web page that loads a thousand items faster than the FUNimation website loads 10. It's not an issue of the site being slow, it's the way you've decided to load them that creates the problem. Which is even worse from a mobile device, which didn't even give me a way to arrange. If you are going to insist on requiring use of the website in order to arrange items at least make it easy. Put functionality above look and feel. Even Netflix, when it was primarily a mail company, how to simple interface for changing an ordered list quickly 15 years ago.

Even an auto assortment option, like in order of most often played, or in order of most recently added, Etc, would make a world of difference here and that's the kind of thing that you would be better off putting in the app. It's definitely nice to have the option of going to the website to manually arrange items if and when that works well, but you're going to need at least something in the app.

At the very least, take advantage of the PS4 built-in browser to open a web page with these options if the user wants to without having to mess around with all the other parts the website or logging in.

Now, as far as some additional feedback goes, I'm disappointed that I can't manually move the menu off of you when I pause to look at a scene, but I am happy that it automatically pulls away. I could never actually pause in the app and get the full screen before.

It has thrown me off that the L1 and R2 buttons have changed from being rewind to changing the entire episode you're on. Personally, that's going to take some time to get used to considering how it was before, although it seems like a better approach then having the giant box tell me when the next episode was going to load during the credits when I'd rather see the credits.

• @Elliander said in Check Out the All New FunimationNow Playstation 4 App!:

@Sophie hmm. If you have a more complete update to be ready in a week, why release it now? And without giving people the heads up that the update was going to take away a feature, even temporarily? I would have preferred to at least know before I update if any feature is removed or if updating will cause me any problems. I could of course see how you might want to push it out sooner for people with a small list, but that still seems like a pretty important thing to tell people which is exactly why that was in my comment.

The Queue is now only pulling 50 items because the full Queue feed was the cause of the loading issue that occurred when the new PS4 app first launched. The full fix for this will go up in a week after it is finished and tested. The number 50 was chosen because most users have 30 Shows in their Queue.

Normally, I update the Known Issues thread to keep people at least informed that way. However, I've been kept on testing PS4, so that's been a bit delayed. I do apologize for not getting that thread ready to go sooner. In the meantime, I've been responding to individual posts.

As far as the website goes, it is so slow in loading the items that I don't really like using it at all. You are doing this whole endless feed in type thing where the items are loading little by little instead of in one page of still images. Until I dragged down to them they don't even start loading. I could write a web page that loads a thousand items faster than the FUNimation website loads 10. It's not an issue of the site being slow, it's the way you've decided to load them that creates the problem. Which is even worse from a mobile device, which didn't even give me a way to arrange. If you are going to insist on requiring use of the website in order to arrange items at least make it easy. Put functionality above look and feel. Even Netflix, when it was primarily a mail company, how to simple interface for changing an ordered list quickly 15 years ago.

You're talking Queue, right? How would you suggest making it easier to arrange items on Queue, especially for users with over 100 Shows in Queue? I had considered adding in the ability to assign a number position.

Even an auto assortment option, like in order of most often played, or in order of most recently added, Etc, would make a world of difference here and that's the kind of thing that you would be better off putting in the app. It's definitely nice to have the option of going to the website to manually arrange items if and when that works well, but you're going to need at least something in the app.

Coming soon. This functionality was just backlogged. Eventually, you will be able to assign a default sort to your Queue. You'll be able to choose from "Custom", which is what you have now and what will be the default, "Most Recent", "A-Z", and "Z-A". Once that is in place, we'll add those sorts to My Queue in the apps. Whatever you sort the Queue by in the site will be the default sort for Queue in the apps. However, arranging the order of the Shows in your Queue for the Custom sort will always be a web-only feature. We'll also be making it so shows are added to the top of Queue instead of the bottom.

Now, as far as some additional feedback goes, I'm disappointed that I can't manually move the menu off of you when I pause to look at a scene, but I am happy that it automatically pulls away. I could never actually pause in the app and get the full screen before.

This is actually a bug. You're supposed to be able to push circle while paused to manually dismiss the UI while the video is paused.

It has thrown me off that the L1 and R2 buttons have changed from being rewind to changing the entire episode you're on. Personally, that's going to take some time to get used to considering how it was before, although it seems like a better approach then having the giant box tell me when the next episode was going to load during the credits when I'd rather see the credits.

We switched to L2 and R2 for scrubbing to match up with other streaming service apps. I'm also pleased that the countdown now happens after the credits. ^_^

• This is a huge improvement across the board. Once used to it, it's much more intuitive. It's already saving tons of time and frustration. With so many major fixes to glaring issues, I'm not going to worry much about one single glitch with the queue that is already being worked on.

Though, it would be nice for L1 to return to the previous video in a series if pressed within the first second or two in case of accidental skipping or whatnot.

• Loving the new UI. Much better then your previous ones. Only hick I have is that it seem a little slow-ish at times.

• @Rylocke We'll be adding L1 double tap to go back to the previous video in the sequence.

@GoldCrusader The developers are looking into how the app can be further optimized to cut down on load times.

• I've recently had an issue with it loading up. Sometimes it loads fine...others i need to close the app and restart a few times to get it to come up. Is that just me or is this something common that is being fixed?

I do like the fix for coming back to finish an episode. it used to play from the beginning and i had to fast forward to get back to where i left off, but haven't had that issue since the update. I do miss the "recently updated" part. Cause i was watching some shows that recently got dubs like Gosick and New Game. And since they aren't specifically new simuldubs sometimes you don't notice. Will something like that come back?

Thanx for the effort