Ok so need help on Con and how do I go about it

• I need your HELP @emdier and @korrailli as you're both from Canada. http://fanexpocanada.com/anime-featured-guests/ So it appears that the Toronto Canada con that's coming up is going Sean and Chris and there. And though I normally wouldn't resort to having to go to a con out of the country it seems like it's the only chance he comes around for any of the cons close to my facility. The issue here is it's in a completely different country unlike the con went to last year where I met Veronica Taylor where it was about two hours away but it was still in the United States. I don't know how to approach it I could do the whole one day thing on Saturday like I did last year with Veronica Taylor's con that she went to since it says he's going to be there of course I don't know what days he's going to be there is it doesn't listed on the website. I could easily take the Greyhound travel bus there but then I would need to take a taxi or Uber if you guys have that in Canada to get to the card itself however another issue comes up of the fact that I would have US money rather than Canadian money I don't know if that the scone they would except US money I would have to get it converted first I do know some voice actor sometimes take credit card so I guess that would be one advancement however that's not guaranteed either. It a mix and it not something that I know how to do since I really have never been in Canada before so would be very different. So I would need information to know what I'm getting myself into you before I even go do it or even consider going to do it.

• I've never been to Canada, but do have some experience traveling outside the US. As to the money, that's actually pretty simple. I've done a couple different ways without problem. The most guaranteed way is to use a currency exchange usually located within the hub at airports or bus stations. However, they're usually pretty expensive and give a crappy exchange rate. I assume Canada uses ATM system similar to US, so you can get by cheaper by talking to your bank and letting them know that you're going to be out of the country for set days and need your card to have access for international use on those days. Some cards don't require this, but others do, and worth making sure before leaving. At least with my bank, I had to sign a release for my dates of travel in order for them to allow it, so make sure you do this before leaving else your card may not work. Once the card is available for use, just hit up an ATM and the withdrawal will be in the local currency. I've used this in Mexico, Japan, and Korea and is definitely the least expensive and easiest way to get foreign currency.

• How long you stay is up to you. If I were going to an out of town con, I would most likely want to go at least 2 days, so would stay overnight. The con schedule would be a factor as well, if a panel you want to see is early on, you might have to get there early to see it (same goes for autographs). There are taxis, Uber (I think in Toronto), and buses/trains to get around.

As for money, getting Canadian cash is your best bet. The big Con here is cash only for autographs (it is a different company, so Fan Expo might be different). ATM fees can be high, and lines are usually long. Not all stores take American money, and if they do, the exchange rate might not be in your favour. Your bank should be able to get you Canadian money fairly easily.
    The actual cost of an autograph usually isn't posted online as it can be decided when the guest gets there (annoying, I know). Photo Op prices can be a good indicator of cost, it's usually within $20 either way. VA's tend to be on the cheaper side for autographs though, usually around $30-50.
    Plan on taking more money that you think you will need. You may end up needing things you didn't plan for (especially when it comes to taking a taxi, food, or even hotel costs), so having extra helps. A credit card is good too.
    It is good to let your credit card company know you will be traveling to Canada. Some might freeze your card if it's used out of the country, and you don't want to have to deal with that.

I doubt you would have too much trouble traveling. There are lots of people to come across the border for cons, and some cons have info for people traveling across the border. The con should be pretty similar to other cons you have gone to.

• @korrailli said in Ok so need help on Con and how do I go about it:

How long you stay is up to you. If I were going to an out of town con, I would most likely want to go at least 2 days, so would stay overnight. The con schedule would be a factor as well, if a panel you want to see is early on, you might have to get there early to see it (same goes for autographs). There are taxis, Uber (I think in Toronto), and buses/trains to get around.

As for money, getting Canadian cash is your best bet. The big Con here is cash only for autographs (it is a different company, so Fan Expo might be different). ATM fees can be high, and lines are usually long. Not all stores take American money, and if they do, the exchange rate might not be in your favour. Your bank should be able to get you Canadian money fairly easily.
    The actual cost of an autograph usually isn't posted online as it can be decided when the guest gets there (annoying, I know). Photo Op prices can be a good indicator of cost, it's usually within $20 either way. VA's tend to be on the cheaper side for autographs though, usually around $30-50.
    Plan on taking more money that you think you will need. You may end up needing things you didn't plan for (especially when it comes to taking a taxi, food, or even hotel costs), so having extra helps. A credit card is good too.
    It is good to let your credit card company know you will be traveling to Canada. Some might freeze your card if it's used out of the country, and you don't want to have to deal with that.

I doubt you would have too much trouble traveling. There are lots of people to come across the border for cons, and some cons have info for people traveling across the border. The con should be pretty similar to other cons you have gone to.

@korrailli Idk I not plan yet. They don't seem to have this your schedule so I don't even know what are the plans date I was only planning on going one day because I don't want to have to going to a hotel. And that seems very difficult having to exchange the money and all.

• @pleco_breeder said in Ok so need help on Con and how do I go about it:

@gohan6425 Here is the schedule

@pleco_breeder Look at the year bro it said 2016... That not post 2017...

• The schedule probably won't go up until about 2 weeks before the con starts. The website even says it won't be posted until mid August.

Exchanging US for Canadian money should not be that hard. Just go to your bank (there are other places that do currency exchange, but a bank is usually easy), and say you need to get some Canadian money. If you have cash with you, they can exchange that, but I am sure they can get money from your account too.

• You should avoid currency exchange as much as possible, the rates most places charge are ridiculous.

Just use a Debt/Credit for almost everything. For at-con events requiring physical currency, this may be necessary; but using ATM is always better.

Depending on the bank you can find and one you have, the ATM fee rates will vary. Credit Unions are generally the best. Yes, you are paying an ATM fee... But dont forget, if you use a exchange service like TravelEx (ones in the airport), you are paying a "hidden fee" of 5-10% off the exchange rate.

So, it isn't better. Unless you are skilled at finding the best rate exchange, just stick with using major bank issued (NOT third party ATM vendors) ATM. If your US bank has operations in Canada, you may be able to get best transaction pricing.

Easy and fast, but just make sure to do it once for your trip, so take out what you need.

Else, try to pay for everything using card only. Much better.

• @thegrandalliance said in Ok so need help on Con and how do I go about it:

You should avoid currency exchange as much as possible, the rates most places charge are ridiculous.

Just use a Debt/Credit for almost everything. For at-con events requiring physical currency, this may be necessary; but using ATM is always better.

Depending on the bank you can find and one you have, the ATM fee rates will vary. Credit Unions are generally the best. Yes, you are paying an ATM fee... But dont forget, if you use a exchange service like TravelEx (ones in the airport), you are paying a "hidden fee" of 5-10% off the exchange rate.

So, it isn't better. Unless you are skilled at finding the best rate exchange, just stick with using major bank issued (NOT third party ATM vendors) ATM. If your US bank has operations in Canada, you may be able to get best transaction pricing.

Easy and fast, but just make sure to do it once for your trip, so take out what you need.

@thegrandalliance You mean ATM at the con it self?

• @gohan6425 said in Ok so need help on Con and how do I go about it:

@thegrandalliance said in Ok so need help on Con and how do I go about it:

You should avoid currency exchange as much as possible, the rates most places charge are ridiculous.

He means in the country of Canada (well any country in general but yea). If you use a bank that has branches in Canada (and given how close you live to border, you probably do) do any/all currency exchange through them if you need cold hard cash. Use a card for everything else. You MAY luck out at the con with them accepting the usd, but its also equally likely that they don't.

• @darthrutsula40 said in Ok so need help on Con and how do I go about it:

You MAY luck out at the con with them accepting the usd, but its also equally likely that they don't.

I would doubt anything official for the con accepting American currency. Some vendors might, but it's hit and miss. Not all will accept a credit card either. Autographs tend to be cash only. Photo Ops (though the vendor, not at the table ones) can usually use a card.
    ATM's at the convention centre are not usually for a specific bank, so could have higher fees. I am not sure how that would affect and American Card. It would be best to get cash before going to the con. As @gohan6425 seems to want to make it a day trip ,time would be limited, so getting it in advance would save time and hassle. At least, that's what I would do if I were going to an American con.

• @darthrutsula40 said in Ok so need help on Con and how do I go about it:

@gohan6425 said in Ok so need help on Con and how do I go about it:

@thegrandalliance said in Ok so need help on Con and how do I go about it:

He means in the country of Canada (well any country in general but yea). If you use a bank that has branches in Canada (and given how close you live to border, you probably do) do any/all currency exchange through them if you need cold hard cash. Use a card for everything else. You MAY luck out at the con with them accepting the usd, but its also equally likely that they don't.

@darthrutsula40 I used citizens bank...

@darthrutsula40 said in Ok so need help on Con and how do I go about it:

You MAY luck out at the con with them accepting the usd, but its also equally likely that they don't.

I would doubt anything official for the con accepting American currency. Some vendors might, but it's hit and miss. Not all will accept a credit card either. Autographs tend to be cash only. Photo Ops (though the vendor, not at the table ones) can usually use a card.
    ATM's at the convention centre are not usually for a specific bank, so could have higher fees. I am not sure how that would affect and American Card. It would be best to get cash before going to the con. As @gohan6425 seems to want to make it a day trip ,time would be limited, so getting it in advance would save time and hassle. At least, that's what I would do if I were going to an American con.

@korrailli I know Todd did because I use the credit card with him. No I can't speak for everyone else but a lot of the new voice actors do you use there Phone for credit cards but yeah it is hit or miss. It seems though the greyhound in Toronto where I would get off is only 7 minutes away from the where that convention is.

• Hmm, he uses a medium sized bank that is publicly traded; one of the oldest in USA, and used to be part of Royal Bank of Scotland:

http://investor.citizensbank.com/about-us/investor-relations.aspx
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citizens_Financial_Group

...and blew up in 2008, was part of the problem...

But yes, from their main consumer site, not seing international services listed. However many banks may have Forex at their branch for major pairs, especially close to Canada, so IDK.

@gohan6425

I suggest you go to the largest branch in your area, and talk to your bank people. Ask them if they provide Forex services, or if they are a part of an ATM network in Canada.

If not, simply use a major Canadian bank, and one of their ATMs. According to that Wiki above, Citizen's Bank (under RBS) at some point used to have a relationship with TDBank, which has operations in both US/Canada.

https://www.td.com/ca/en/personal-banking/branch-locator/

ATM, like at the con, are generally third party (make money off of the fees almost exclusively) and will soak your CAD$ out of ur wallet if you are not careful.

In either case, make a visit to your bank and talk with real people, instead of reading my conjecture. Can be useful...

Anyways, in reality, unless you plan to spend a t$n on money at the con, u only really need maybe 100USD converted or less. You can just do this task once, costs be damned. If $5 ATM fee, then u lose 5%. Still better then most nonbank Forex services.

So, if you find yourself out of options @gohan6425 just go to a bank in the city you would be, take it out all at once. Cost of Freedom.

...but don't take out too much. Getting it back into USD another matter. Take out what you plan to spend it its entirety.

And BTW, if you do have excess, you could use it to pay your hotel bill. Use the cash first, then rest of the balance on a card. Good way to discharge excess currency, if needed. Do this at front desk during the checkout process, when invoice is negotiated.

No matter, as all shall be revealed in time, it shall be so...

• @thegrandalliance said in Ok so need help on Con and how do I go about it:

Hmm, he uses a medium sized bank that is publicly traded; one of the oldest in USA, and used to be part of Royal Bank of Scotland:

http://investor.citizensbank.com/about-us/investor-relations.aspx
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citizens_Financial_Group

...and blew up in 2008, was part of the problem...

But yes, from their main consumer site, not seing international services listed. However many banks may have Forex at their branch for major pairs, especially close to Canada, so IDK.

@gohan6425

I suggest you go to the largest branch in your area, and talk to your bank people. Ask them if they provide Forex services, or if they are a part of an ATM network in Canada.

If not, simply use a major Canadian bank, and one of their ATMs. According to that Wiki above, Citizen's Bank (under RBS) at some point used to have a relationship with TDBank, which has operations in both US/Canada.

https://www.td.com/ca/en/personal-banking/branch-locator/

ATM, like at the con, are generally third party (make money off of the fees almost exclusively) and will soak your CAD$ out of ur wallet if you are not careful.

In either case, make a visit to your bank and talk with real people, instead of reading my conjecture. Can be useful...

Anyways, in reality, unless you plan to spend a t$n on money at the con, u only really need maybe 100USD converted or less. You can just do this task once, costs be damned. If $5 ATM fee, then u lose 5%. Still better then most nonbank Forex services.

So, if you find yourself out of options @gohan6425 just go to a bank in the city you would be, take it out all at once. Cost of Freedom.

...but don't take out too much. Getting it back into USD another matter. Take out what you plan to spend it its entirety.

And BTW, if you do have excess, you could use it to pay your hotel bill. Use the cash first, then rest of the balance on a card. Good way to discharge excess currency, if needed. Do this at front desk during the checkout process, when invoice is negotiated.

No matter, as all shall be revealed in time, it shall be so...

@thegrandalliance See now this seen like it going pain in the ass... I still have to paid for a taxi when I over there and I don't know if that cards.

• @gohan6425 Taxis should take credit cards, and tend to deal with more foreign visitors.
    You should still have cash. As I have said. I would not count on autographs taking credit cards. You could contact the convention and ask. They would set the policy for guests, so what they say would be what would happen. Smaller cons can be more flexible, but the larger cons are not.

@gohan6425 Taxis should take credit cards, and tend to deal with more foreign visitors.
    You should still have cash. As I have said. I would not count on autographs taking credit cards. You could contact the convention and ask. They would set the policy for guests, so what they say would be what would happen. Smaller cons can be more flexible, but the larger cons are not.

@korrailli I tryed that have not got back to me yet.

• @gohan6425 said in Ok so need help on Con and how do I go about it:

@korrailli said in Ok so need help on Con and how do I go about it:

@gohan6425 Taxis should take credit cards, and tend to deal with more foreign visitors.

It is a long weekend, so they might not be responding to email until Tuesday.

@gohan6425 said in Ok so need help on Con and how do I go about it:

@korrailli said in Ok so need help on Con and how do I go about it:

It is a long weekend, so they might not be responding to email until Tuesday.

@korrailli I did not even think of e-mail thanks I e-mail them now too...

• @gohan6425 It looks like no one has mentioned this, but you'll need a passport. I think you used to only need a drivers license, but I don't know if that is the case anymore, especially to get back into the US. Get your passport as soon as possible. It takes a couple months to process. It lasts 10 years, so even if you don't go now, at least you'll have it.

I went to Canada for Anime North for work once, which was amazing. I was the only spare person with a passport. XD

For the most part, if you have a Visa or MasterCard, you'll be fine using that. You will just need to notify your bank or the credit card company of the dates that you will be in Canada, so that they don't flag your card and turn it off. It may also be wise to put the fraud prevention number in your phone, so you know it's them if they call.

Just to be safe, try to get Canadian currency for your convention purchases. Exchange your currency before you leave the country. I believe I went through Travelex, when I went to Japan the first time, which also has locations in airports.

You could also Google around and see if you'll be able to access ATMs over there and just withdraw a bit of money at a time. I found this to be most convenient when I went to Japan.

• Sophie is correct, you will need a valid US passport.