I would like to do a tournament after spacemanhardy one over

• I would like to do a tournament after spacemanhardy one over. Is this ok? @Moderators @administrators

• It doesn't seem like anyone is planning a tournament next.

This thread is from a few months ago, but does have more info on the tournaments.

What tournament did you want to do?

• @korrailli said in I would like to do a tournament after spacemanhardy one over:

It doesn't seem like anyone is planning a tournament next.

This thread is from a few months ago, but does have more info on the tournaments.

What tournament did you want to do?

@korrailli well I was tossing up some ideas. First one that came to mind is anime characters that are superheroes. @emdier already did a ship one :(.

• @gohan6425 Superheroes would be fun. Keep thinking about it. It will still be a bit until Spaceman is done his, and you don't have to start right after that.

• I vote a big "yes please!" to running a tournament! I love participating in them, so I am totally gung-ho for whatever you have planned!

• Just remember that tournaments are BIG undertakings and are NOT easy to run. And if you quit halfway, you tend to earn a lot of scorn from the rest of the forum.

But if you're up to it.... sure. Show us what you got. ^_^

• The shipping tournament was my first attempt, with the help of @korrailli. If you want assistance in learning how we ran it, I'm sure we could both assist with it! (And yes, I am volunteering Korr here too :P)

• @SpacemanHardy said in I would like to do a tournament after spacemanhardy one over:

Just remember that tournaments are BIG undertakings and are NOT easy to run. And if you quit halfway, you tend to earn a lot of scorn from the rest of the forum.

But if you're up to it.... sure. Show us what you got. ^_^

@SpacemanHardy "scorn" you're talking to me the guy has baggage already. I think I can handle myself at that point. But I get it a go when your done.

• @gohan6425 I only bring this up because one of our members tried to run a tournament for the first time ever, but he got fussy after the majority of his favorite contestants got voted out in the first round, and he abandoned the tournament entirely after that.

So that's another thing: You HAVE to be impartial. If people don't vote for who you want them to, you have to let it slide.

• @emdier said in I would like to do a tournament after spacemanhardy one over:

The shipping tournament was my first attempt, with the help of @korrailli. If you want assistance in learning how we ran it, I'm sure we could both assist with it! (And yes, I am volunteering Korr here too :P)

@emdier Yup that would really help thanks.

• @SpacemanHardy said in I would like to do a tournament after spacemanhardy one over:

@gohan6425 I only bring this up because one of our members tried to run a tournament for the first time ever, but he got fussy after the majority of his favorite contestants got voted out in the first round, and he abandoned the tournament entirely after that.

So that's another thing: You HAVE to be impartial. If people don't vote for who you want them to, you have to let it slide.

@SpacemanHardy Oh yes this alway suck. But If all nominations are characters I'll like I can't lose right??? But yeah I figured you had to be inpartial to make any tournament work.

• @gohan6425 Okay then, imagine this:

Goku gets voted out in the first round.

How do you react?

• Can I ask one thing if we're doing a super hero tournament?

Can you pleeeeeeeeease watch My Hero Academia before you run it? Because I would want to nominate so many characters from that show, and it would be good to know what characters are being talked about. It's legit a show about super heroes.

And I know a lot of my ships sunk in the early rounds of our tournament. I was salty, but only in private :P

• @gohan6425 But half the fun is our submission as well. if you can't accept someone you don't like winning then suck it up or don't do it.

• @gohan6425 said in I would like to do a tournament after spacemanhardy one over:

But If all nominations are characters I'll like I can't lose right???

That's the thing.

Many of the nominations submitted to you are going to be characters you don't like.

And even more of the submissions are going to be characters you don't even know.

As the moderator of a tournament, you have to suck up ALL of your pride and deal with it whenever things don't go your way.

Now can you honestly tell me: Can you deal with that? Or are you going to get angry and confrontational?

@gohan6425 Okay then, imagine this:

Goku gets voted out in the first round.

How do you react?

@SpacemanHardy Eh I most likely would die and then come back to life again run around freak out shout out loud at my computer over 9000 times. And then move onto the next round. Satisfied? I almost certain anyways that you guys are going to let Goku win just because of the fact that I'm would be running the tournament and you guys would use the quality against me from the superhero argument debate we've had before on this issue. So I'm actually more prepared for him to lose because of that fact honestly Sailor Moon has a better chance of winning most likely from you guys and forums.

@gohan6425 said in I would like to do a tournament after spacemanhardy one over:

But If all nominations are characters I'll like I can't lose right???

That's the thing.

Many of the nominations submitted to you are going to be characters you don't like.

And even more of the submissions are going to be characters you don't even know.

As the moderator of a tournament, you have to suck up ALL of your pride and deal with it whenever things don't go your way.

Now can you honestly tell me: Can you deal with that? Or are you going to get angry and confrontational?

@SpacemanHardy Wait? I thought I nominate the people that are in the tournament? Or do other people do? Since this will be my tournament don't I set the rules? Because I was going to have rules where it was set where you could vote for characters that are anime characters from the American side for example avatar the last Airbender would be eligible since it would be my tournament I would do role similar to the way I do name that anime thread game...

• @gohan6425 said in I would like to do a tournament after spacemanhardy one over:

Wait? I thought I nominate the people that are in the tournament?

No.

Or do other people do?

Yes.

Because I was going to have rules where it was set where you could vote for characters that are anime characters from the American side for example avatar the last Airbender would be eligible since it would be my turn a meant I would do role similar to the way I do name that anime thread game...

The way most tournaments are set up, the person who runs it restricts themselves only to a select few characters that they nominate. The rest of the characters are nominated entirely by forum-goer submission. Only in a rare case such as the lack of a full roster does the tournament moderator nominate more than the necessary share of characters.

You've gotta give everyone a fair share, after all.

@gohan6425 said in I would like to do a tournament after spacemanhardy one over:

Wait? I thought I nominate the people that are in the tournament?

No.

Or do other people do?

Yes.

Because I was going to have rules where it was set where you could vote for characters that are anime characters from the American side for example avatar the last Airbender would be eligible since it would be my turn a meant I would do role similar to the way I do name that anime thread game...

The way most tournaments are set up, the person who runs it restricts themselves only to a select few characters that they nominate. The rest of the characters are nominated entirely by forum-goer submission. Only in a rare case such as the lack of a full roster does the tournament moderator nominate more than the necessary share of characters.

You've gotta give everyone a fair share, after all.

@SpacemanHardy how many characters would I be able to nominate? Also what about my rule about avatar characters code Lyoko characters and Rwby characters being eligible? Since this is my turn to mention I be allowed to decide the states of the rules of the confines of the tournament?

how many characters would I be able to nominate? Also what about my rule about avatar characters code Lyoko characters and Rwby characters being eligible? Since this is my turn to mention I be allowed to decide the states of the rules of the confines of the tournament?

I would say you can nominate the same number you let other people nominate. Most tournaments allows 10-15 unique nominations per person. At least to start, if more are needed, then people can add more. So you would get to nominate 10-15 as well.

If you want to allow characters from Avatar or RWBY, then that is fine, but you may need to find a place to draw the line to avoid nominations from any western animated show (unless you really want to open it up).

• @korrailli said in I would like to do a tournament after spacemanhardy one over:

how many characters would I be able to nominate? Also what about my rule about avatar characters code Lyoko characters and Rwby characters being eligible? Since this is my turn to mention I be allowed to decide the states of the rules of the confines of the tournament?

I would say you can nominate the same number you let other people nominate. Most tournaments allows 10-15 unique nominations per person. At least to start, if more are needed, then people can add more. So you would get to nominate 10-15 as well.

If you want to allow characters from Avatar or RWBY, then that is fine, but you may need to find a place to draw the line to avoid nominations from any western animated show (unless you really want to open it up).

@korrailli Yeah it will be like the rules in the name that anime thread so it will limit to that so no DC or Marvel. We can't have traditional superheroes in this contest after all as that wouldn't be fair. How many people do we have an a tournament in total do we have like over 300 contestants. If we're going to do something like that I would want to do every round it's all in one day I wanted certainly do one round after the other like spaceman has done. Or wait another day to get the brackets out I would rather do the first round in one shot so then we could get into the next round. Also I don't want to what @SpacemanHardy does for tiebreakers where comes down to a coin toss I feel the coin toss System is flawed. Because I could literately just say that I flip the coin and tell you who won based on favoritism. For any cases of tiebreakers I want to use random.org and actually show people who wins. As for people being able to nominate I do would like to restrict them to qualifications for what a superhero is. Example if they try nominating monkey D. Luffy I feel that should be denied as monkey D. Luffy is not a superhero as a matter of fact I could actually make an argument that he's a villain since technically he's wanted by the worlds government. Just because he's presented as the hero and the good guy doesn't mean he actually is what one because he's a pirate for one thing and number two he's wanted by the government. That would be my biggest issue with people nominating and not actually fact checking what would actually qualify as an anime superhero.