Crunchyroll has the Master License for Haikyu Season 3?

• So someone posted on the Crunchyroll forums that Crunchyroll is now streaming some shows on Hulu and one of the shows of note is Haikyu is listed. The page itself is for Season 3 and does list Crunchyroll as the publisher. Season 1+2 are on a separate page which lists Sentai as the publisher.

When I asked on Twitter Miles responded with this press release from January which does list Haikyu S3 under "Anime Licensed for Fall 2016 for which Crunchyroll is Master Licensee". Sentai shows from that season such as Girlish Number, Flip Flappers and ClassicaLoid are under "Anime Licensed for Fall 2016"

I asked Miles about the fact S3 is on HIDIVE and Sentai announcing they had it although he hasn't responded yet.

It also seems weird that Sentai would go back and dub Haikyu if they don't have S3.

• Actually it may be a case of Sentai having the Home Video / Streaming rights as part of a Contractual Obligation. Most companies will put in "Right of First Refusal" clauses on a previous season so if a new season is produced, they get first option. I'm betting in this case Sentai got the Home Video and non exclusive streaming rights, as part of their contract, while CR got the master Streaming contract, or Sentai may have sublicensed the stream from CR. It's probably some legal mumbo-jumbo involved.

• Interesting, that could very well be the only reason Sentai decided to dub for example crunchyroll could have said "we'll only give you the home video rights if you dub it." It could also be like a similar situation like with 3rd season of fate/kaleid where Sentai just acts as if the 3rd season never existed.

• how would that benefit crunchyroll?

• As with so much that is happening recently in the world of anime, this is only conjecture and has nothing to back my theory. However, I'm thinking that CR may be adapting their business model to sub-licensing anime in order to decrease costs. It has always been that CR had no real interest in dubs and only really attained streaming rights to them as an aside to subs. I'm thinking this may have been the next logical idea in order to limit the cost of licensing. Sentai has an obvious reason to want access to the shows, and has never been a CR exclusive as they have always streamed across several services as well as home video releases. Although Funimation was obviously the largest of these joint licensing deals, it sounds like they saw enough advantage in that method to pursue with other vendors.

Again, just speculation, but would explain this situation.

• @Getchman said in Crunchyroll has the Master License for Haikyu Season 3?:

how would that benefit crunchyroll?

I'm guessing he was just posting in his anti-Sentai narrative but I can think of a reason.

The manga is doing great for Viz. I'd imagine they'd have known that back when license negotiations for Fall 2016 were going on (volume 4 released around the time S3 started) so when Crunchyroll ended up with the master license it would have probably been in their best interest to have it dubbed and market to the people buying the manga.

Since this season is a singular match which is part of a tournament it would be really dumb to dub just it so Crunchyroll might have agreed to sublicense S3 to Sentai instead of Funimation (since the partnership had just started at this point) if Sentai would go back and dub S1 as well as dub S2.

• @Doublethree100 said in Crunchyroll has the Master License for Haikyu Season 3?:

@Getchman said in Crunchyroll has the Master License for Haikyu Season 3?:

how would that benefit crunchyroll?

I'm guessing he was just posting in his anti-Sentai narrative

Lol no, I think crunchyroll saw some of their fans wanting it and did it to give Sentai more of a push to actually do it, how it benifits crunchyroll? They get money for licensing, they don't have to translate sports anime which they said they hated doing and they get the satisfaction of making Sentai do something, thats assuming the first possibility I said is actually the case. If it's the second then we'll probably just see either no release of the 3rd season or Crunchy/funi do the 3rd season themselves.

• Who cares about sweaty guys playing volleyball where is my fate/kaleid season 4...

• @MRy27 said in Crunchyroll has the Master License for Haikyu Season 3?:

Who cares about sweaty guys playing volleyball

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-11-30/top-selling-manga-in-japan-by-series-2016/.109352

According to those numbers, quite a lot of people actually.

• @classyspartan Lol it was a joke I'm well aware of the shows popularity