Sony Pictures TV to acquire Funimation

• http://variety.com/2017/digital/news/sony-pictures-tv-funimation-acquisition-1202511492/

I'm honestly not that surprised with the recent rumors that surfaced a couple of months ago. Hopefully this allows Funimation to prosper and be able to expand as a company. I wonder how this will impact the partnership with Crunchyroll

Edit: whoops. Placed it in the wrong forum category. Can mods change it please.

• You got to be kidding me... They better not handle Funimation like they do with Aniplex USA...

• @MidnightAoshi said in Sony Pictures TV to acquire Funimation:

They better not handle Funimation like they do with Aniplex USA.

Sony Pictures doesn't own Aniplex though. Sony Music does. Sony Pictures doesn't seem to charge any more for movies than other companies so I'm not too worried.

• @Doublethree100 Yeah that was my mistake. When I saw Sony I got triggered and didn't even realize it said Sony Pictures.

• Also before anyone worries about the Funiroll partnership Sony is the first company listed on Crunchyroll's "partners" list.

• Will this mean that Harmony Gold USA & FUNimation make a collaboration?

I'm just joking

• @rikub13 said in Sony Pictures TV to acquire Funimation:

Placed it in the wrong forum category. Can mods change it please.

Moved it to Funimation General.

Also, before everyone starts coming up with any wild conspiracy theories, I highly advise waiting until Funimation makes an official statement on the matter.

• What do you guys think? Is this a good thing or a bad thing? Or will it have no effect on Funimation's operations?
    Opinions?

• This is going to be a definite "wait and see" situation. Didn't immediately realize it, but the article states that Sony television owns Animax as well. Not so much here, but that's kind of a big deal in Japan. The networks mentioned could be a positive due to additional access, or could be a negative in regards to accessing shows which Sony isn't directly connected to. As was already mentioned, we'll have to see what happens after the official announcement. The article states, "The deal is subject to regulatory approvals and certain other closing conditions", so it could still be a while before we hear anything about the effects of the sale. That is assuming that they decide to make any statements as they could just as easily continue operation without notifying of any changes.

• @SpacemanHardy said in Sony Pictures TV to acquire Funimation:

@rikub13 said in Sony Pictures TV to acquire Funimation:

Placed it in the wrong forum category. Can mods change it please.

Moved it to Funimation General.

Also, before everyone starts coming up with any wild conspiracy theories, I highly advise waiting until Funimation makes an official statement on the matter.

Well said. Expect an official blog post by tomorrow at the very latest. (Think it's going out tonight.) It will include a statement and FAQ.

Hold tight! Exciting news! (^__^)

• @nubguy said in Sony Pictures TV to acquire Funimation:

What do you guys think? Is this a good thing or a bad thing? Or will it have no effect on Funimation's operations?
    Opinions?

I think it'll be bad, if you like dubs of ecchi shows or SOL anime that will be the thing of the past, we'll most likely only be getting dubs of shounen anime and dark anime, funi will probably be ran like a mix of the two worst companies Sentai and Aniplex, Aniplex prices and Sentai's dubbing model.

What do you guys think? Is this a good thing or a bad thing? Or will it have no effect on Funimation's operations?
    Opinions?

Ignoring the typical misinformed hysterics, I will say one potential plus out of this is I can imagine Funimation making an even bigger push with their Streaming service.

Maybe with Sony as their parent-company, this means Funimation will have the funds not just to produce simuldubs, but also sub-license streaming rights English dubs from other Distributors?

We kind of see that now with Funimation streaming Lupin the Third Part IV from Discotek. So maybe Funimation is able to get more English Dub licenses to stream?

• I am personally of the opinion that to us, the average consumer, nothing much is going to change. Funimation's built its stable in terms of pricing and I don't see them suddenly raising their prices or doing Aniplex-style releases just because of this sudden change. Prices and releases should probably still stay about the same. What probably will change would be that they may be able to get some shows they might not have been able to, or just having more money to spend on licensing and/or doing other things for the company.

• ...Maybe this will mean more opportunities for us Canadians going to a company with more distribution power?

I can certainly dream anyways.

• If this leads to more SimulDubs I'll be happy. Maybe they will dub every CR shared shows of the season or hit that CR backlog a little more.

• http://www.sonypictures.com/corp/press_releases/2017/07_17/073117_funimation.html

Culver City, Calif., July 31, 2017 – Sony Pictures Television Networks has reached an agreement to acquire a substantial majority stake in Japanese anime distributor Funimation Productions, Ltd., ("Funimation"), subject to regulatory approvals and certain other closing conditions, valuing the company at approximately $150 million. Gen Fukunaga, CEO of Funimation, will retain a minority stake in the business and remain CEO.

With a catalog that includes popular titles such as "Dragon Ball Z", "Cowboy Bebop", "One Piece", "My Hero Academia" and "Attack on Titan", Funimation licenses and distributes Japanese anime content in the U.S., and operates the subscription streaming service FunimationNOW, available via the PlayStation Store, iTunes Store, Google Play, Amazon Apps, Xbox Store and mobile devices. Additionally, the company sells merchandise and DVDs through its website, Funimation.com.

"Around the world, Sony's networks have been major players in the anime space for nearly two decades, and in more recent years we have rapidly increased our networks' over-the-top and digital offerings to consumers. With the acquisition of Funimation, the combined IP of ANIMAX, KIDS STATION and Funimation allows us to deliver the best anime to fans across all screens and platforms," said Andy Kaplan, President, Worldwide Networks, Sony Pictures Television.

Funimation CEO Gen Fukunaga added, "With Funimation's long-established leadership position in anime and Sony's direct access to the creative pipeline in Japan, it will be a great partnership to take Funimation to the next level."

Outgoing Chairman of Funimation, John A Kuelbs, and lead investor, Doug Deason, said, "Funimation experienced tremendous growth and success since 2011. We believe Sony, Gen and his team are uniquely positioned to lead Funimation and its fans into an exciting and entertaining future."

Sony Pictures Television Networks' ANIMAX network is a multi-platform provider of Japanese anime content currently operating in 23 countries, including Japan.

Sony Pictures Television Networks operates established linear channel brands including AXN, Sony Channel, and ANIMAX, and digital brands including CRACKLE around the world, AXN Now in Europe and Asia, and Sony LIV in India.

J.P. Morgan Securities LLC acted as exclusive financial advisor to Funimation along with Kelly Hart & Hallman LLP acting as exclusive legal advisor. Gibson Dunn & Crutcher LLP acted as legal advisor to Sony Pictures Television Networks.

About Sony Pictures Television Networks
    Sony Pictures Television Networks operates branded entertainment channels reaching nearly two billion subscribers around the world. Based in Culver City, Amsterdam, Budapest, London, Madrid, Miami, Milan, Moscow, Mumbai, Munich, Singapore and Tokyo, Sony's linear and digital networks offer high quality film and television content from Sony Pictures and third-parties, as well as original content commissioned globally and locally. Sony Pictures Television Networks is a division of Sony Pictures Television Inc., a Sony Pictures Entertainment company.

About Funimation
    Funimation is the #1 English-language anime content provider in North America, which licenses, adapts and distributes anime content from Japanese rights holders internationally. Its catalog includes over 10,000 hours of content with rights to over 450 brands and provides dubbed and subbed anime across multiple channels. FunimationNOW, the Company's streaming platform, is the leading North American English-language OTT anime platform.

• ...................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

• @thegrandalliance DON'T. YOU. DARE. >:(

• @SpacemanHardy NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is bad on ALL levels!

• AHHHHHAHAAAHAAAAHAHAHAAHAAAHAAAAAAAAAAHAAAHAAAAAHAAHAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAHAHAHAAAAAHHAHAAAAAHAAAAHHAHAHAHAAAAAHAGHAHAGAHHAAAAGHAHHAHAHAAHAHAHAJGHAGhmxhkhsgagagHDHJZGSGJZGJDGD.........

FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLISH....

FUNIMORTALS!

https://www.funimation.com/forum/topic/11004/the-end-is-near

YOUR SINS SHALL NOT GO UNPUNISHED!!!!

BLASPHEMY TO ALL THE CURSED NONSENSE YE HAVE SMITED YE WITH!!!! THE FOOOOOOLISHNESS OF IT ALL!!!!!

APOLOGIZE TO THE @thegrandalliance WHILE YE STILL DRAW BREATH! THE SONY IS COMMING!!!! THE SONY IS COMMING!!!

Opinions?

Sony is the dead or this. I see that using that Spier-Man Movie Money well!