What determines whether a series has uncut/uncensored version?

• Hello All,

Might be a silly question.

From my understanding, we get the censored (assuming there is an uncensored) version dubbed at first and later whenever a home video versions comes out is when we get uncensored.

Only time ive seen this (considering my ecchi anime viewing is limited) was high school DxD where iirc it was censored version but now its uncut.

This question arose because I started watching Seven Mortal Sins last night. Only 3 episodes in so far amusing.

But something I noticed......people seem to be REALLY disappointed that its not uncensored.....to the point of rating it bad.

Seems like a petty reason to do since i doubt Funimation or CR for that matter can control that but I digress...

People have claimed uncensored dubbed exist but that confused me because if its true than how come its not on funimation as they are the ones who have liscesning to the english version...

Sorry for the long long message.

• Blood or Boobs.

If a show's got excessive violence to the point that they're using Dark shadow lines to hide some of the carnage, or if they're using streaks of light or censorship symbols to cover up any clevage or excessive nudity, that's usually what is shown for the TV broadcast, and what is made uncensored for the final DVD/BD release.

• @jaye3rd89 said in What determines whether a series has uncut/uncensored version?:

People have claimed uncensored dubbed exist but that confused me because if its true than how come its not on funimation as they are the ones who have liscesning to the english version...

piracy. the show airs uncensored on an premium subcritpion channel, kinda Japan's version of HBO. folks take that and English audio track from funi and join them together and post them on pirate sites

• ooooooohhhh so "officially" by Funimation's doing there isn't a uncensored dub got it :P

• @jaye3rd89 if you want in around a year and a half Funimation will probably have the uncut version on the site along with the home release.

• @Doublethree100 said in What determines whether a series has uncut/uncensored version?:

@jaye3rd89 if you want in around a year and a half Funimation will probably have the uncut version on the site along with the home release.

Oh I don't mind the uncensored version as it doesnt take away from the series for me. (although I'm learning for some thats a killy joy) I was just curious haha

• "Uncut is a bit misleading in this case. Basically, what Funimation streams for their SimulDubs are the television broadcast versions of the anime that airs over in Japan, in addition to Funimation's original dubbing and script for the episodes. What this means is some shows, like My Hero Academia for example, will have a lot of dimming in their episodes even over here because of the Japanese regulations. You'll also get some series like Seven Mortal Sins and My First Girlfriend is a Gal which censored the steamier content.

The Uncut version is the version of the anime that got released for Home Video, so it'll have the dimming and censorship removed and potentially touched up animation if the series had production issues. Funimation will also have their VAs re-record lines and touch up the script to make it more accurate in some cases.

It's worth noting too Funimation has no say in the matter of getting the "censored" version first since in most cases, it's the only version of the series available.

• If you will also recall, the release of Date A Live II caused a bit of a storm around here because the Japanese Blu-Rays had the uncensored Extended cut (about 2 + min of extra footage per episode) while Funimation's release of the series only had the uncensored TV masters. So what we get is determined by what Funimation gets from their Japanese partners when they get the home video masters from them.