Metroid: Samus Returns - - September 15, 2017.

• This title definitely intrigues me. I played Metroid II: Return of Samus on the Game Boy back in the day and beat the levels i played, however, the game was just so lifeless i never really got into it. Hopefully, with the updated visuals on the 3DS, it will re-invigorate the series for me. My question is, will the boards be the same (just updated with color) OR will it be some of the old boards, new boards, and new gameplay elements as well? Looks like this will release a little after “back to school” probably softening the thought of another long school year... (laughs) ;-)

For those so interested, Axiom Verge on STEAM is said to have Metroid-esque gameplay.

Sincerely,
    P.J.

• Well, miraculously, not only picked this up, but started playing it and am very impressed. A completely re-vamped experience over the original from the 90s. Had to get used to the controls, as it is very different from the usual “casual” gaming that i do. Also different from your typical “mario”-esque gameplay. There are instances, especially when enemies are attacking quickly, to forget critical combos. For a while, i was like didn’t Samus have the ability to crouch into a small ball? Only later did i realize that you have to earn that ability. I also like the map feature. I remember playing through the original, and half the time it was like, “Did i already pass through this way?” For me, the circle-pad definitely has a different feel. I guess you get used to it. Such an immersive experience with a superb visually stimulating environment and music that i remember from the original, but, re-scored as if performed by Yanni himself (laughs) If you do play this game, keep watch over the time, as you’ll look up and boom, five hours gone. I started out like a house of fire, whether i see the game through to completion will be interesting to see. My rating as of this point, 10/10. Highly Recommended.

P.S.- The intro where they are explaining your mission and the crew that foraged the alien depths before, reminded me somewhat of the objective statement in the game Operation Neptune for those who remember PC gaming from the days of IBM 286.

Sincerely,
    P.J.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBPbJyxqHV0