Recommendations

• Hello all,

Borrowed the disk for "Hyouka" last night to try to finish a series I started watching this spring. Was surprised to even learn that Funimation had dubbed it as I was expecting to have to import the series once I get settled back into normal life. I do have to say I'm a bit upset about the amount of time I'm going to have to wait for the second half though.

Anyway, to the point of this post, this series doesn't fit in with any of my normal genre searches or viewing habits. However, I have to say that I REALLY liked the mystery/suspense without a real victim aspect of the show. Most shows dealing with mysteries tend to require that there's some sort of cataclysm or death just to set up for a plot. This series sidesteps that exceptionally well, and allows the viewer to just enjoy the suspense of solving the mysteries without dealing with anything so severe.

Because of the often blurred lines of what a mystery/suspense really entails, I'm not sure how to go about looking for similar shows. Because of that, I'm asking for recommendations of similar shows.

• This is pretty difficult - there isn't really anything that's quite like Hyouka, since most mystery focuses on suspense rather than intrigue, and they tend to show a lot of blood

I haven't watched it, so someone else would have to give the true recommendation, but HaruChika is supposed to be a school-oriented mystery, but in a less serious sense

If you go away from mystery and head more towards investigation, I think I would probably recommend Mushishi first. It's basically about a guy who travels the world and helps people with phenomena known as mushi, which can affect their everyday lives. Most stories are somber, but a few are uplifting, and it's an interesting world as a setting

As far as mystery itself goes, there's either Beautiful Bones (forensic archaeology, basically the anime equivalent of Bones) or Gosick (1920s European-era setting with murder mysteries), but as you can probably tell by the descriptions, those two aren't without victims

• I've seen Gosick and, although did have more than a fair share of mystery, it just had a dark feel to it. Just read a few reviews on Mushishi, and think I'm going to give it a go tonight. Thanks.

• Just looking at the MAL user reccomendations, there are some series that people think are similar.

If you do end up liking Mushishi, I would recommend Kino's Journey. It's not a mystery, but is similar to Mushishi.

• If your into a mystery thriller and don't mind a slower pace check out ACCA 13. It's amazing and one of the best anime this year.