Is Guilty Crown underrated?

• Sometimes there is an anime that you watch and tell yourself "I've heard this before but i'll watch it." That's how I am with Guilty Crown and I still don't realize the hate for it. Is it because of Shu acting like a wuss in the first few episodes? Is it similar to Code Geass in terms of plot? Or Is It because of the ending? This is a show directed by Tetsuro Araki before he directs Attack On Titan, a show I've haven't got the time to watch but I'll wait for the dub to be released. I think that Guilty Crown should get more love and attention.

• the show looks gorgeous, but the writing was a train wreck

• From what I hear, visuals are good but everything else is weak. I can attest to the latter, as I saw the show, but not to the former as I didn't see the show on bluray (I streamed it and the visuals were pretty weak there). The dub of this was pretty weak as well.

IMO, it's not just that the protagonist is a wuss, it's that he's a wuss who gets made relevant (given super powers) in a contrived, cliche way. His power was, in a way, a rip-off of the power in Persona 4. I'm sorta surprised that his "practicing" of using his power by groping nonconsenting women wasn't ragged on. The villains were one-dimensional: they were shown as being evil just because the show needed evil people. IMO the show didn't even make a good case for the "goodness" of the heroes: since they didn't really develop the villains the morally questionable actions of the heroes, which they did show in detail, made me feel as though they were the real villains.

EDIT: HSotD is unquestionably better than this show. HSotD set the bar for itself low but it reached it. Guilty Crown didn't even set a bar; it had no idea what it was trying to do.

• @sidereal_presence:

From what I hear, visuals are good but everything else is weak. I can attest to the latter, as I saw the show, but not to the former as I didn't see the show on bluray (I streamed it and the visuals were pretty weak there). The dub of this was pretty weak as well.

IMO, it's not just that the protagonist is a wuss, it's that he's a wuss who gets made relevant (given super powers) in a contrived, cliche way. His power was, in a way, a rip-off of the power in Persona 4. I'm sorta surprised that his "practicing" of using his power by groping nonconsenting women wasn't ragged on. The villains were one-dimensional: they were shown as being evil just because the show needed evil people. IMO the show didn't even make a good case for the "goodness" of the heroes: since they didn't really develop the villains the morally questionable actions of the heroes, which they did show in detail, made me feel as though they were the real villains.

EDIT: HSotD is unquestionably better than this show. HSotD set the bar for itself low but it reached it. Guilty Crown didn't even set a bar; it had no idea what it was trying to do.

So You think it's sucks?

• I'll be honest here, the show taken from a subjective point of view can be enjoyable. The first season despite its faults overall isn't that hard to watch but the finale is where most people will draw the line and say WTF happened?

A lot of complaints come in during the second season when the anime suddenly shifts its setting into the isolated school within the city that has been wrecked from the occurrences in the season 1 finale. The problem with this shift in focus is actually not that hard to understand when you realize that characters begin making morally questionable decisions and Shu being the biggest example. To make such a dramatic shift in focus would have required consistency in the development from the main cast and because characters at this point were still fairly one dimensional, any attempt to show their darker side became ineffective. Other examples include the coup d'etat that was instigated by Arisa with now zombie Gai's assistance. In other words, for anything shown in this season to be effective we would have to understand the cast very well so that their actions didn't come as a surprise but the way the scenarios played out, a lot of them were clearly ham-fisted. There is nothing wrong with the anime taking this direction in its setting and there are examples not limited to anime that have worked successfully but handling such matters require maturity from the writers' part.

All that aside, I think it's fairly obvious that the script was overall very contrived since the first episode. For one, the introduction is basically Inori running away from an endlave with her outfit that was clearly out of context. She is blasted with missiles but somehow survives because they miss their target. This mindset from the writers clearly affected the logic in events throughout the anime's course and there was little chance for more down to earth storytelling which is something the story desperately needed to take advantage of the void concept. This concept if used well can highlight character development and motivation but like anything else it matters little if all that becomes of the idea is a plot device for plot convenience. Voids while introduced are never clearly defined in function and their abilities can fix virtually any problem in the given scenario. This is why consistency becomes a problem. I.e Hare's void apparently heals anything and by anything I mean it can fix a bridge. A more appropriate function would have been accelerated rate in healing of wounds. However, it wouldn't heal something that couldn't heal alone with time. The healing effect can be limited. You see the anime never establishes any rules in its universe and any amendments to supposed rules are poorly explained. Why are voids limited to those under 17? Why can the void user make the vessel believe eye contact is being made? One of the novels elaborated in the risks of void use and the voids could only be outside of their vessel for a limited period of time. In addition to this, repeated extraction took a toll on the void user and slowly ate at his/her sanity. This was never apparent in the anime and the lack of effort in elaborating on story elements like the virus or Da'at weakened the story more than it already was.

Bottom line, did the story suck? Sure. The more critical viewers would say the logic bordered on retarded sometimes.

• @Zethus:

So You think it's sucks?

I put it in the "meh" category. Maybe if I'd seen it on blu-ray or if I hadn't seen so many series that told similar stories to GC (and, I believe, told them better) I would have been more receptive to it but it's not a show that I'd recommend nor is it a show that I'd consider to be good.

@Anokun:

You see the anime never establishes any rules in its universe and any amendments to supposed rules are poorly explained.

This is especially true of the series and it really did annoy me. Other shows, like FMA, played fast-'n-loose with the rules of their in-show universe but this show really didn't even try to have rules. It was like the Adam West version of Batman where the protagonist always has the needed gizmo, a gizmo tailor-made to this exact situation, to automagically resolve any problem.

The poor definition of the villains really hurt the series. Not only did it not give the heroes a "foil" but it left a lot of lingering questions IMO. The "black" guy who was shown ordering mass murder "just because" also decided to, for some reason, let the protagonist of this series live for no reason. They tried to tell us that he was 100% rotten to the core, would kill ya just for lookin' at him funny, but yet he let the witness of one of his crimes walk away without harm. I just don't buy that.

• Hey for those of you who watched the first simulcast of this show do you know why the professional fan art was edited out of the Dubbed episodes that's playing on the free streaming player and hulu plus right now.
    I'm not asking about the next episode previews because those where web based form the beginning, I'm asking about the stills by some of the top Manganka doing fan generated or commissioned pieces.

• Everything is underrated/ overrated to someone somewhere out there in this big wide world we live in. : p

• Might as well go all-out if you're going to over-generalize, and instead say that some thing is something to someone

• Happy Monday to you too Riles.

• !

• What if there was a Guilty Crown movie in the works that is a complete reboot with plot and characters changed?

• The poll options are terrible. I like Guilty Crown, its neither meh nor great, and I also think it would be ridiculous to make any more of it.

The problem with Guilty Crown is the show tries to combine a bunch of elements from previous anime into something new, but just ends up looking like it ripped off a bunch of other shows. Not to mention Shu is a mess of a main character.

The best parts of the show are the visuals and the music.

• Have to say I loved Guilty Crown! It's one of my favorites. It is very similar to Code Geass (which I watched first) but I still loved Guilty Crown. I don't understand the hate at all but to each their own. I also don't think High School Of The Dead is bad at all, not sure about the "worse" option. Still waiting on a season 2 for that lol.

• They should just remake the searies and make it so that it's not that sad. T the end because that ending sucked they should have been together that shy I don't knoda like it just because of the unfai sad ending like shu deserves a happy ending after all he's been through.

• I liked this show quite a bit, and also don't understand the backlash against it. The whole Void use idea is pretty weird, but it pays off when it turns out that there's a cost to the power. The art, animation and music are all top-notch, and I thought that the English dub was solid (especially Alexis Tipton's double-duty as Mana and Inori, Emily Neves as Ayase, and Tia Ballard as Hare). The whole Adam/Eve/Eden plot thread seemed a bit contrived, but at least Mana was a fairly compelling villain. So, the pros are well-balanced by the cons, although I might have replaced Gai with a larger role from Yuu (instead of having Gai suddenly return).

• @Getchman:

the show looks gorgeous, but the writing was a train wreck

I disagree. Granted it has it's issues but overall I really liked this series and it was quite beautiful to look at. I can easily forgive certain things and I think I over looked some plot things the first time but at the time I didn't care. The first episode pulled me right into the story and hooked me. Credit to that goes to the music. I never saw an opening like that. What a great opening for the first episode. Four episodes in, very quickly I became invested in the story and the characters, the pace was brisk which I liked a lot because if there's one thing I hate is watching a half hour episode that feels like I'm watching Kenneth Brannagh's version of Hamlet….3 hours man, that's a long time. For a Shakespeare film adaptation that's one thing but I don't want that same experience watching a 30 minute episode installment to a series. First episode of Fate/Zero I wanted to hang myself. The whole series of SaiKano made me wish I could make the whole production staff walk the plank, that thing sucked. So I'm basing everything I watch from now on, on Sai-Suckano.

I think what also helped for me going into the show....I knew absolutely nothing about it, storywise, plotwise, nada. The fact that Araki directed came as a nice surprise, especially after watching both Attack on Titan and Death Note and enjoying both. Because I didn't know what to expect or know what was coming along the way I was able to completely enjoy it. What story doesn't have it's problems. What show doesn't. Some are complete garbage while others are little gems that are waiting to be discovered. I don't understand why this series received the hate that it does. Opinions will always be mixed and that's with anything. But I was very nicely surprised by this and I loved it.

• This is an awesome show! Really great story and action. Plus beautiful music by the musicians behind the Attack on Titan soundtrack.

• This show would easily go in my top 10. I love it so much ^_^

• "Underrated?" No. Guilty Crown is a pile. A very pretty looking pile, but a pile nonetheless. :hmm:

• But it's such a good anime T_T. What don't you like about it?