Eureka Seven Discussion Thread

• Since FUNimation has yet to make an Eureka Seven page in their shows column, I've decided to create one in the meantime until it appears. This only talks about the original anime that aired in 2005 and ended in 2006 with 50 episodes, as well as the movie. DO NOT Talk about Eureka Seven AO in this thread. That show already has a page in the shows column. You can discuss your anime episodes, characters,etc.

Parts 1 and 2 of Eureka Seven will be available on DVD and Blu-ray on April 22, 2014.

• Where on the pole should I select that I know nothing about the show, or care to?

• Evangelion clone

It's funny, because I actually think that's one of the best things about Eureka Seven. It does clearly borrow a lot of pages from Evangelion, but it doesn't feel like it's just riding Eva's coattails to popularity. No, E7 feels more like Bones' rebuttal to NGE. Taking NGE's themes and characters, and spinning them in a, let's say, more optimistic direction. While Evangelion is is about self-actualization by internalizing your flaws as part of your perceived self, E7 is more about supplementing your flaws with the people close to you, as to form a completed whole. And while I think I do ultimately disagree with E7's central conceit, E7 just articulates its themes so well, in such an engaging way, that it's hard not to just nod your head and agree with them.

• I was looking into this series and based on some trailers, clips, reviews and some other people I spoke to so I did a search on Rightstuf.

I just send an email to Rightstuf to remove BTOOOM and So I Can't Play H and add both Eureka 7 sets along with the movie and the best part is; the entire Eureka 7 collection is $1 cheaper than the two series I originally had ordered. So I'll probably hear back from them with the conformation on Monday.

• @Chrisc:

Where on the pole should I select that I know nothing about the show, or care to?

well, i haven't thought of it, but good point.

• @Renzokuken:

It's funny, because I actually think that's one of the best things about Eureka Seven. It does clearly borrow a lot of pages from Evangelion, but it doesn't feel like it's just riding Eva's coattails to popularity. No, E7 feels more like Bones' rebuttal to NGE. Taking NGE's themes and characters, and spinning them in a, let's say, more optimistic direction. While Evangelion is is about self-actualization by internalizing your flaws as part of your perceived self, E7 is more about supplementing your flaws with the people close to you, as to form a completed whole. And while I think I do ultimately disagree with E7's central conceit, E7 just articulates its themes so well, in such an engaging way, that it's hard not to just nod your head and agree with them.

Dai Sato stated that some people called it an Evangelion clone without even watching.

• @Renzokuken:

No, E7 feels more like Bones' rebuttal to NGE. Taking NGE's themes and characters, and spinning them in a, let's say, more optimistic direction. While Evangelion is is about self-actualization by internalizing your flaws as part of your perceived self, E7 is more about supplementing your flaws with the people close to you, as to form a completed whole. And while I think I do ultimately disagree with E7's central conceit, E7 just articulates its themes so well, in such an engaging way, that it's hard not to just nod your head and agree with them.

I think Rahxephon is much closer to what you're describing, while E7 borrows about as much from Gundam as it does Eva.

Also, does the numbering of these poll choices (10-8.5) bother anyone else?

• @Zethus:

Dai Sato stated that some people called it an Evangelion clone without even watching.

Well that's no surprise; the prevalence of ignorance in the anime community and fandom regarding various shows and genres has almost become one of its defining characteristics.

On topic though, this Eureka 7 was one of those series I was going to look into a few years back shortly after I bought the Neon Genesis TV series on DVD, the mentality being conveyed was; if you like Neon Genesis, you'll like Eureka 7.

That created an issue because while enjoyed the first half of Neon Genesis, as it progressed, its self-indulgent escalated, which is what left a bad taste for me from my first viewing of Neon Genesis. Of course, when I watched it all those years ago, I was depressed and going through some pretty difficult life situations, so that may have infringed upon my enjoyment of that series.

Now that I have taken the time to re-watch my Neon Genesis DVD set and am making my way through the Rebuild movies, I am quite pleased with it and I understand why there are fans out there who love the franchise so much. It's a great series, I still feel the TV series did get self-indulgent, especially with the director's cut episodes, but nevertheless, a worthwhile anime to watch.

Of course there those pretentious assholes who liked it or any other weird anime because they're "fucked up" or like such shows even more because fans of mainstream anime normally hate such shows; so, like any other fandom, there's that posturing occurring to orchestrate an exclusive club mentality. I stay away from such fans.

Aside from undesirables, various factors have pretty much motivated me to edit one of my orders to that I have the Eureka 7 sets included.

Since we're talking about Eureka 7 here; has anyone checked out Eureka Seven: AO? If so, what are your thoughts?

• I would like to add to what neon said, ignorance, and self absorption/entitlement, snottiness are sadly a monicure of all Fanbases online these days.

But getting back on topic. I enjoyed Eureka Seven, even though Renton annoys the heck out of me, he's soo dang whiny, but given his age it's understandable. Although I like Eureka more then Renton overall personally.

• @Soundmonkey44:

But getting back on topic. I enjoyed Eureka Seven, even though Renton annoys the heck out of me, he's soo dang whiny, but given his age it's understandable. Although I like Eureka more then Renton overall personally.

Isn't that a norm in many of these shows? I mean Shinji is pretty whiny, other people have said this to me, however, my rebuttal is somewhere along the lines of; if anyone had to deal with an asshole of a father who suddenly asks for a favor, doesn't express any approval or gratitude, a semiconscious/semi-lobotomized girl, an unpleasant, insufferable, arrogant girl and of course the stress of shouldering the responsibility of saving the world, well, I'd probably be a pretty wrecked as a person as well.

• As I said on another thread, I have an unusual feeling towards Eureka Seven. The first 20 or so episodes seemed to be specifically trying to make me hate it; nearly everyone was bland or unlikable, and its plot was somehow able to be both too simplistic and too confusing (simplistic in that it was as deep as to be "Shonen Jump shallow" and confusing in that I could discern nothing about its world and characters).

But at the end of the arc in the cave, when something traumatic happened (those who've seen the show probably know what I mean), I was invested. It's like I could finally see what the show was–a science-fiction mech anime, with a love story that oozed cheese. In a good way (admittedly, I'm probably a sucker for cheese).

I might change my opinion about those early episodes if I see the show again, but right now, I'd personally rank it 7 out of 10 at the very least.

• Any differences between Eureka and Rei Ayanami?

• wanted to watch the movie but then it said to try the 14 day trial just to watch it so i went to try it out and then it slaped me in the face with a credit card thing funimation has goten greedy and stupid this site used to be cool but now its just a lame pay to watch site the trial shuold be free it aint free if you need a *** credit card just for the trial i hope this site gets ruind some how . haveing to put my credit card information out just for the trial thats just wronge and fake any site that asks that for the trial just wants your money **in fakes im out funimation can su it they just want your card imformation so they can reem you dry of money …...

• @kaixi:

wanted to watch the movie but then it said to try the 14 day trial just to watch it so i went to try it out and then it slaped me in the face with a credit card thing funimation has goten greedy and stupid this site used to be cool but now its just a lame pay to watch site the trial shuold be free it aint free if you need a *** credit card just for the trial i hope this site gets ruind some how . haveing to put my credit card information out just for the trial thats just wronge and fake any site that asks that for the trial just wants your money **in fakes im out funimation can su it they just want your card imformation so they can reem you dry of money …...

Providing your CC information at the start of your trial ensures you can continue your EVS subscription as soon as your trial ends. You may see a authorization hold on your card to verify you have sufficient funds, but you won't be charged until the end of the 14-day trial, and you can cancel before then to stop from being charged.

• Hey guys, I just noticed that this thread exists, and seeing as how FUNi recently put up a Eureka Seven forum since it's creation, I was thinking of moving it over there. Would you guys be okay with that? I'll even leave up a redirect for a few days so that there's no confusion.

• I didn't even know this thread existed until it was bumped, so I'd definitely recommend moving it to the forum where it won't get buried again.

• Consider it moved then. :)

• I made this thread.

• Eureka Seven is my favorite anime of all time. There are many reasons for this, but the love story and the depth of the world coupled with the mix of exploring relationships, coming-of-age and certain aspects of life and existence. For me, it spoke to my heart and had a profoundly deep meaning. I still follow a lot of what I learned from the show in terms of what matters in relationships and how to treat those in your life. While it is clearly not perfect, I still give it a 10/10.

• I've seen this show.
    Not the best but it's similar to Evangelion (It's not an Evangelion clone)
    I would prefer the original over AO.

• @Zethus after much thought and consideration, I declare that Eureka Seven is one of my favorite anime series of all time. I think it would rank around the Top 5.

Things I loved

• Renton's determination of protecting Eureka.
    • Eureka's gradual defrosting of her Rei Ayanami-esque character whenever something traumatic or painful happens to her.
    • Gekkostate's diverse crew.

Things I wasn't fond of

• Holland's intial treatment of Renton. I think he wants to just put him down to the point of leaving. (which he did)
    • Basically how much of Gekkostate treated Renton as an extra set of hands as well as the butt monkey.
    • Those KIDS at the beginning. (sighs) They were annoying at no end, always trying to get Eureka's (their adoptive mother) attention and keeping Renton and her apart because they're afraid he might take her away. They get better later on.

I don't really buy into the military and the villain but they're there to advance the plot.

Without a doubt, Eureka is best girl of the show.