You'll never be able to convince me that "A Centaur's Life" is a more justifiable dub than Conan

• How large is the market for "A Centaur's Life"? Surely not that big. I mean, it's the epitome of what any casual anime fan (or non-anime fan for that matter) hates about anime. It's weird and makes you wonder what someone was smoking to come up with the idea. And yeah, I know there are people here looking forward to it, but that's a minority. I'd love to see the #s once all is said and done on how many people actually watch a show like that.

Meanwhile, Case Closed has had over ten years to grow a fanbase and they're craving the dub to be continued. Yes, I know that the dub ended on episodes released about 17 years ago. I get it, trust me. But this is an opportunity to release these episodes through FunimationNOW. The overheard costs don't have to be nearly as much and there are plenty of people who would love to watch the show, enough to justify its addition to the lineup. You'd get enough money off of new subs of people coming just to watch Conan to justify the dub.

But I get it. Last time, things weren't successful. We can debate all day about why that was (and I'll always hold to a royal screwup by Funi and Adult Swim regarding time slots, release formats, etc.), but that doesn't matter. It's a financial issue at the end of the day. Always has been. Funimation doesn't dub things to make people happy, they do it to make money. So why not use Kickstarter to collect costs up front for some Bluray sells of the next season? Once the Blurays have been out a few months, throw the episodes onto FunimationNOW. See if the costs are justified.

I've had so many people I've shown Case Closed that absolutely loved it, even people who don't watch anime, but they had never heard of it. It could be a success, it just has to be done right. With how streaming has grown and the success of the Escaflowne Kickstarter, this would be a great opportunity to give it one last try. The numbers are there. The fanbase is waiting. And while you continue to dub animes featuring centaurs living their daily lives and young boys being petticoated by perv uncles, you'll never be able to convince me that Conan couldn't be more successful. Playing out every scenario in my head, I can't see it. I truly can't.

Inb4 SpacemanHardy locks the thread with his negativity.

• The numbers are there.

Soooooooooooooooooooooooo... where are they?

• @darthrutsula40

Watching on [REDACTED] and Crunchyroll currently.

EDIT: Do NOT post the names of illegal streaming sites on the forums. -SH

• @FatedTitan Probably should edit out mentioning an illegal site. On Crunchyroll it's 48 in the most popular. Sure that's pretty good, but it's behind stuff like the mostly panned Berserk, Angel's 3Piece, Elegant Yokai Apartment Life and, what's that at 35? Why A Centaur's Life!

• Strange. I'm now even more inclined to go watch A Centaur's Life now.

• @classyspartan Same here...don't know why though

• dont know about you two, but an ending in sight sure does appeal to me

• Okay, I'll concede that Conan is HUGE in Japan, and I even know people that watch the sub here. A lot of people have even tried to make the argument that subs are better than dubs because Conan isn't dubbed. Here's the problem though. Sub numbers will not equate to dub numbers if the project were ever dubbed. Because there is such a time lag between the last dubs and where the series is now, it would have to be assumed that most people keeping the series alive in English speaking countries fall into the sub category. The odds of them making a switch (given the mentality that most have claiming subs are more enjoyable/accurate/realistic (not really, but that's what they want to believe)), only a fragment of those numbers would migrate to a dubbed version.

As for new viewers, most would find the series lacking because of a loss of 15+ years of episodes and movies. I'll use D-gray Man as an example here. I was thrilled when Hallow was announced last year. Finally, they were going to dub again after the lapse. Problem is there were a lot of episodes which were sub only in between. Even though I liked the series, and gave it an honest try, I've yet to make it back to it because there was such a hole right in the middle of it. I think I watched 4-5 episodes of Hallow before just saying screw it.

Any realistic attempt at a dub where people would be willing to stick with the series, would have two options. First, go all the way back and dub from the point where it stopped to allow fans to develop with the series as it progresses. Although this is the most likely to ensure success of the series in a dub format, the costs involved would be an absolute nightmare. This also places subs against dubs as most hardcore fans will have already seen everything being released, and not be interested in backing up so far just to hear the story in their native language. Option number two is to start fresh with a season and assume that nobody is going to care about 15+ years of story which they're not familiar with. This isn't going to increase fan base. It will get a small portion of sub-watchers to migrate to it, but only if they're not interested in reading the story. Everyone else, those which have an interest in dubs (and usually wait till after the subs have been out for a couple of weeks) aren't going to have any interest in starting in the middle of a story.

End result, even though Conan does have a following, there will never be enough of a fragment of the sub viewers willing to make that change to make it financially reasonable, and dub viewers will ignore it because they're not familiar with the history of the title.

• @FatedTitan said in You'll never be able to convince me that "A Centaur's Life" is a more justifiable dub than Conan:

How large is the market for "A Centaur's Life"? Surely not that big. I mean, it's the epitome of what any casual anime fan (or non-anime fan for that matter) hates about anime. It's weird and makes you wonder what someone was smoking to come up with the idea. And yeah, I know there are people here looking forward to it, but that's a minority. I'd love to see the #s once all is said and done on how many people actually watch a show like that.

Meanwhile, Case Closed has had over ten years to grow a fanbase and they're craving the dub to be continued. Yes, I know that the dub ended on episodes released about 17 years ago. I get it, trust me. But this is an opportunity to release these episodes through FunimationNOW. The overheard costs don't have to be nearly as much and there are plenty of people who would love to watch the show, enough to justify its addition to the lineup. You'd get enough money off of new subs of people coming just to watch Conan to justify the dub.

But I get it. Last time, things weren't successful. We can debate all day about why that was (and I'll always hold to a royal screwup by Funi and Adult Swim regarding time slots, release formats, etc.), but that doesn't matter. It's a financial issue at the end of the day. Always has been. Funimation doesn't dub things to make people happy, they do it to make money. So why not use Kickstarter to collect costs up front for some Bluray sells of the next season? Once the Blurays have been out a few months, throw the episodes onto FunimationNOW. See if the costs are justified.

I've had so many people I've shown Case Closed that absolutely loved it, even people who don't watch anime, but they had never heard of it. It could be a success, it just has to be done right. With how streaming has grown and the success of the Escaflowne Kickstarter, this would be a great opportunity to give it one last try. The numbers are there. The fanbase is waiting. And while you continue to dub animes featuring centaurs living their daily lives and young boys being petticoated by perv uncles, you'll never be able to convince me that Conan couldn't be more successful. Playing out every scenario in my head, I can't see it. I truly can't.

Inb4 SpacemanHardy locks the thread with his negativity.

Here's the thing, Funimation TRIED to make Case Closed work in the US. They tried putting it on Cartoon Network, they successfully put it on Adult Swim when Cartoon Network was a no-go. Ratings couldn't justify it continuing there. They tried picking up the movies since those are easier to get into, they had trouble selling those. They gave the series every manner of price drop imaginable, people STILL didn't bite enough. It had every opportunity in the world to justify a dub, and it couldn't. This is a sad truth, but one that must be accepted. Its format is just plainly a tough sell, especially at the length it's currently running.

A Centaur's Life on the other hand has a few things going for it:

1. It's short. 12 episodes is much easier to justify than 700+.
    2. Monster Girl shows are in. Sentai saw justification to dub Monster Musume and Crunchyroll sent Interviews With Monster Girls to Funimation to dub as well. It's a popular subgenre. Which brings me to point #3...
    3. It's probably not Funimation's property to begin with. Very likely Crunchyroll acquired A Centaur's Life themselves and sublicensed the rights they're not planning to use to Funimation.

So actually yeah, in terms of raw data A Centaur's Life is actually a more justifiable dub than Case Closed.

Also PS: [NAME REDACTED TO PREVENT PROMOTION] isn't a very good source for streaming numbers since a) those numbers are global and don't reflect the viewing habits of specific regions like the US and b) it's a pirate site so it's hard to tell exactly how many people viewing it would actually turn to a legal alternative if given the option. Not to mention there's no telling if those numbers are cooked.

• And this is why one of my options was to do a Kickstarter like they did with Escaflowne. That would show just how much interest there was. If a KS for the next 50 episodes did well, then they could start doing the rest. If it sucked, I'd shut my mouth.

And to even insinuate that it was given a fair shot on AS is laughable. Midnight and 5:30 am are not timeslots to reach the target demographic of this show. If you want to reach middle and high schoolers (the group it draws in easiest), those are poor times.

• @FatedTitan said in You'll never be able to convince me that "A Centaur's Life" is a more justifiable dub than Conan:

Kickstarter like they did with Escaflowne

I wasn't really following this show but from what I can tell it was part of Funimation's license rescue from Bandai and was already dubbed. Bandai's dub was of the TV version and Funimation's Kickstarter was to redub the show using the uncut version (apparently there was actually quite a bit altered)

The reason this is different is what does Funimaiton do first? Buy the rights or do the Kickstarter? If the former and the Kickstarter fails then they either wasted their money or they release apparently 50 episodes (they would never buy this much FYI) home release probably sub only.
    If the later what happens if the Kickstarter is successful and whoever has the rights won't sell them or ends up charging more than expected? For all we know Crunchyroll only has the streaming rights so the partnership won't help it at all, plus they don't have a number of episodes from where Funimation left off anyway.

• Not saying your argument makes any sense but you went with A Centaur's Life over Convenience Store Boy Friends?

• @Doublethree100 said in You'll never be able to convince me that "A Centaur's Life" is a more justifiable dub than Conan:

@FatedTitan said in You'll never be able to convince me that "A Centaur's Life" is a more justifiable dub than Conan:

Kickstarter like they did with Escaflowne

I wasn't really following this show but from what I can tell it was part of Funimation's license rescue from Bandai and was already dubbed. Bandai's dub was of the TV version and Funimation's Kickstarter was to redub the show using the uncut version (apparently there was actually quite a bit altered)

The reason this is different is what does Funimaiton do first? Buy the rights or do the Kickstarter? If the former and the Kickstarter fails then they either wasted their money or they release apparently 50 episodes (they would never buy this much FYI) home release probably sub only.
    If the later what happens if the Kickstarter is successful and whoever has the rights won't sell them or ends up charging more than expected? For all we know Crunchyroll only has the streaming rights so the partnership won't help it at all, plus they don't have a number of episodes from where Funimation left off anyway.

I'd buy the rights to 30ish episodes and if the KS fails, just put them on FunimationNow under subs. Not that hard. I don't see the KS failing, but it's not like they're unusable if it somehow did. And quite frankly, those first 30 fan subs are some of the worst fan subs we have, so wouldn't be a bad thing to have an official sub.

@MRy27 said in You'll never be able to convince me that "A Centaur's Life" is a more justifiable dub than Conan:

Not saying your argument makes any sense but you went with A Centaur's Life over Convenience Store Boy Friends?

Both work. Honestly, there's so many 'out there' anime getting dubbed lately that I don't understand why they'd spend money on them. But I suppose someone is watching them or they wouldn't. They won't be showing us the numbers for that though.

• Conan's cost to license probably doesn't make up for whatever return it made during its first North American run

A Centaur's Life is probably much cheaper to license since it has low visibility, and thus it's much easier to turn a profit on it

Remember...dubs and licenses come down to profitability, not popularity. Funimation is a company first and your friend second

• It's because it's not some zero sum game. Them deciding not to dub A Centaur's Wish, or Gamers! or 18if wouldn't suddenly mean that Funimation will allocate their resources to bring Case Closed's dub back into production.

If they find the dub for Case Closed not to make the profit to justify it, then that's it, case closed.