One Piece Live Action Holywood TV Show Annuonced

• From ANN

The One Piece 20th anniversary event revealed on Friday that Tomorrow Studios, a partnership between producer Marty Adelstein (Prison Break, Teen Wolf) and ITV Studios, will produce a live-action Hollywood television show adaptation of Eiichiro Oda's One Piece manga.

Tomorrow Studios is also producing a live-action television series adaptation of Cowboy Bebop.

• @Doublethree100 said in One Piece Live Action Holywood TV Show Annuonced:

From ANN

The One Piece 20th anniversary event revealed on Friday that Tomorrow Studios, a partnership between producer Marty Adelstein (Prison Break, Teen Wolf) and ITV Studios, will produce a live-action Hollywood television show adaptation of Eiichiro Oda's One Piece manga.

Tomorrow Studios is also producing a live-action television series adaptation of Cowboy Bebop.

@Doublethree100 Oh god no! It DBE all over again! -_-

Supised that wanted One Piece since it not that big in the USA.

• Well on the one hand no one's gonna claim whitewashing since One Piece's world is basically all it's own.

On the other hand...........R.I.P. Their ENTIRE CGI Dept. that is going to freaking die trying to make any and all of Luffy's Gum Gum abilities look anything close to decent.

• @classyspartan said in One Piece Live Action Holywood TV Show Annuonced:

Well on the one hand no one's gonna claim whitewashing since One Piece's world is basically all it's own.

On the other hand...........R.I.P. Their ENTIRE CGI Dept. that is going to freaking die trying to make any and all of Luffy's Gum Gum abilities look anything close to decent.

@classyspartan And then that start going to there own story... 2nd coming of DBE!

• @classyspartan and make Chopper. And Brook. And all of Robin and Franky's powers. And like every other character depending on the arc. Hope they have a high CG budget.

• Having never watched a single episode I just want to say something:

Oh god no! It DBE all over again! -_-

Just because its hollywood doesn't mean we'll get another DBE. They actually shown themselves able to make some pretty good movies based on anime/manga. Ghost and the Shell and Edge of Tomorrow are two examples.

TV on the other hand is what you want to worry about.

.R.I.P. Their ENTIRE CGI Dept. that is going to freaking die trying to make any and all of Luffy's Gum Gum abilities look anything close to decent.

Oh please, its not like TV cgi is any good to begin with, unless its a show that's all cgi (like rebels and TCW)

• Depending on the budget I think it'll be pretty good since live action adaptation have gotten better. Plus since its TV series not so much plot info will be thrown at the audience all at once which I always hated

• ANN was a bit slow on picking this one up, but they do finally have a new article with all the info from the stream.

In the last 20 years the conversation about a live-action adaptation has come up many times. I decided to go forward with the adaptation about three years ago. There were many twists and turns. I met a good partner.
    Today is the just about the 20th anniversary. The announcement of the new work is actually just a coincidence. I am very happy. Firstly, "I will never betray the fans who have supported me for 20 years." This is my condition.
    There may be many who are uneasy, but please, give me your voices of hope.
    Please be excited for the follow up reports. Please look forward to it!!

Also, here's a quote from Marty Adelstein of Tomorrow Studios

I've been a fan of One Piece for these 20 years.
    I'm very honored to be entrusted with such precious work by Eiichiro Oda and Shueisha.
    I will put my everything into making the One Piece series successful.
    I believe this will be the most expensive work in the history of television dramas.
    When considering the the worldwide attention this series has, I believe such a scale of production costs is worth it.

• @darkdeath174 said in One Piece Live Action Holywood TV Show Annuonced:

ANN was a bit slow on picking this one up, but they do finally have a new article with all the info from the stream.

In the last 20 years the conversation about a live-action adaptation has come up many times. I decided to go forward with the adaptation about three years ago. There were many twists and turns. I met a good partner.
    Today is the just about the 20th anniversary. The announcement of the new work is actually just a coincidence. I am very happy. Firstly, "I will never betray the fans who have supported me for 20 years." This is my condition.
    There may be many who are uneasy, but please, give me your voices of hope.
    Please be excited for the follow up reports. Please look forward to it!!

Also, here's a quote from Marty Adelstein of Tomorrow Studios

I've been a fan of One Piece for these 20 years.
    I'm very honored to be entrusted with such precious work by Eiichiro Oda and Shueisha.
    I will put my everything into making the One Piece series successful.
    I believe this will be the most expensive work in the history of television dramas.
    When considering the the worldwide attention this series has, I believe such a scale of production costs is worth it.

@darkdeath174 problem is it's not big here in the United States which is the market he's going for primarily...

• @gohan6425 said in One Piece Live Action Holywood TV Show Annuonced:

problem is it's not big here in the United States

u wot mate?0_1500656428063_1piece.png
    6 days after the newest episode aired and it's the most popular thing on Crunchyroll. Crunchyroll DOES NOT have One Piece in most (if any) of Europe (I know it's not in the UK) while they do have Dragon Ball Super in a lot of Europe. Is your logic it got cut from Toonami so clearly the sub viewers and manga readers don't exist?

@gohan6425 said in One Piece Live Action Holywood TV Show Annuonced:

problem is it's not big here in the United States

u wot mate?0_1500656428063_1piece.png
    6 days after the newest episode aired and it's the most popular thing on Crunchyroll. Crunchyroll DOES NOT have One Piece in most (if any) of Europe (I know it's not in the UK) while they do have Dragon Ball Super in a lot of Europe. Is your logic it got cut from Toonami so clearly the sub viewers and manga readers don't exist?

@Doublethree100 Those subtitle fans bro. Most people don't even know about one piece or only remember it from the 4kids dub. Go up to the street and ask somebody them hey do you know about one piece most likely they're going to say no I don't. Go up to the street and ask somebody hey do you know Dragonball Z they're going to say hell yeah most of them at least well. One piece was canceled twice because no one was watching it on to Toonami there were a decent amount viewer but obviously not enough. Jason DiMarco himself tweeted out after the announcement that it was getting canceled that it was not popular here. Not like you're going to see one piece of merchandise in gamestop or an any random store however you will see Dragonball Z merchandise in random stores as well as gamestop. He'll even I guess one piece fan on YouTube even commented after it was announced it would be canceled and even said it was not popular here in the United States. Shit dude it's just not popular here great anime it's just not popular in the United States and it never will be.

• @generalg23 is going to lose it!

0_1500659118343_giphy-downsized (1).gif

• @gohan6425 said in One Piece Live Action Holywood TV Show Annuonced:

Most people don't even know about one piece or only remember it from the 4kids dub.

Crunchyroll has 1 million subscribers as of February plus 20 million free users. Funimation's numbers aren't public but I'd be shocked if either were even half of that. Are you telling me being the most popular show on a site with 21 million users means "Most people don't even know about one piece or only remember it from the 4kids dub."

That is flat out wrong.

Also why would the producers of the show care one bit if the One Piece audience is coming from the sub, the dub, the manga, the games. Spoilers. They don't.

• @Doublethree100 Remember who you're talking to now. It's no use trying to explain it to him.

But the producer does seem determined to make this happen and Prison Break had some good seasons in my opinion. As long as the characters look similar to the anime, they follow the story not making their own up or make super drastic changes and the cgi isn't so bad I think it can work out.

• @MidnightAoshi I know I just want to know what possible metric one has to say "One Piece isn't big in the US".

@MidnightAoshi I know I just want to know what possible metric one has to say "One Piece isn't big in the US".

I think he's referring to how it didn't manage to do too big on Toonami.

And that's...a whole lot of different factors. 4kids certainly ruined first impressions, but also most One Piece fans in the U.S. at the time were big fans caught up either on the Manga, the Subs, or the Funimation Dub releases, all three of which were well ahead of where Toonami had chosen to start airing One Piece again.

Point is One Piece is not a mega hit akin to Naruto or DBZ in the West, but it's certainly got enough of a large and dedicated following regardless of whatever metric Gohan uses.

• @classyspartan said in One Piece Live Action Holywood TV Show Annuonced:

@Doublethree100 said in One Piece Live Action Holywood TV Show Annuonced:

@MidnightAoshi I know I just want to know what possible metric one has to say "One Piece isn't big in the US".

I think he's referring to how it didn't manage to do too big on Toonami.

And that's...a whole lot of different factors. 4kids certainly ruined first impressions, but also most One Piece fans in the U.S. at the time were big fans caught up either on the Manga, the Subs, or the Funimation Dub releases, all three of which were well ahead of where Toonami had chosen to start airing One Piece again.

Point is One Piece is not a mega hit akin to Naruto or DBZ in the West, but it's certainly got enough of a large and dedicated following regardless of whatever metric Gohan uses.

@classyspartan @Doublethree100 Point is One Piece is not main stream in the US plain and sample! You can arguing all you want but it got cancel twice that fact can not be deind Jason DiMarco stated it big time YouTube of One Piece stated it that are fans of one piece might! That just fact it not in any store for a reason you know like DBZ is...

• See what I mean? Who cares about the people who only watch subs or read the manga. They don't count for anything even if the show is one of the most watched show subbed or might have good manga sale records here. If it's not dubbed or if the dub gets cancelled then that means nobody likes it.

• @MidnightAoshi said in One Piece Live Action Holywood TV Show Annuonced:

See what I mean? Who cares about the people who only watch subs or read the manga. They don't count for anything even if the show is one of the most watched show subbed or might have good manga sale records here. If it's not dubbed or if the dub gets cancelled then that means nobody likes it.

@MidnightAoshi Where did I said that? I said it not popular main stream! Which it not dude. Denied it all you wanted it not going change it. It has record manga sale yes it does! Is it view world wide yes it does! Does that mean it popular in the USA? No it does not! It's a great anime but that does not make it big in the USA which it is not! Also I like One Piece may I add so don't try to said oh you just saying this b/c you don't like it b/c that BS I a fan of One Piece. I just telling you the true bro take it as it is.

• @gohan6425 If I explain it you're just going to ignore or disagree with everything that I say like always just like you have been for Classy and Doublethree tried explaining in this thread.

• @MidnightAoshi said in One Piece Live Action Holywood TV Show Annuonced:

@gohan6425 If I explain it you're just going to ignore or disagree with everything that I say like always just like you have been for Classy and Doublethree tried explaining in this thread.

@MidnightAoshi Thing is there nothing to disagree on. Your going not going to fine a Luffy figurine in GameStop are you? Guess what figurine you will fine? A Goku one. That main stream buddy...