Perfect for the family!

• Great! I'm glad to know I can legally try to expose my mother to anime, since we can watch within the same household. What do you guys think would be a great show to introduce a newcomer to that doesn't have too much violence or sexuality? She says she'd like a drama but none of the ones in that section were really suited for her because she doesn't like sci-fi related shows. I'm thinking of a romance but I've never watched one of those before so I don't know which would be best for her.

• @CrispyEggs said in Perfect for the family!:

Great! I'm glad to know I can legally try to expose my mother to anime. What do you guys think would be a great show to introduce a newcomer to that doesn't have too much violence or sexuality? She says she'd like a drama but none of the ones in that section were really suited for her because she doesn't like sci-fi related shows. I'm thinking of a romance but I've never watched one of those before so I don't know which would be best for her.

@CrispyEggs Yu-Gi-Oh!

• Anything by Hosads, so Wolf Children, The Girl who Leapt Through Time, Summer Wars, and Boy and the Beast. They aren't available for streaming (Though, Boy and the Beast is on Netflix), but a good watch if you have them.

She might like RomeoXJuliet. It does stray from the play, but isn't too bad for violence of sexuality.

Haibane Renmei might work. The only really violent part is when the wings come in. It's more psychological.

It's not finished airing yet, but Sakura Quest is quite safe and enjoyable.

• @CrispyEggs if we're talking funi only I would recommend snow white with the red hair, kanon, ReLife and maybe orange. Shakugan no Shana is a really good action romance but not sure on the levels of fan service since it's been a while since I have seen it. That's off the top of my head will post more if I remember.

• @gohan6425 said in Perfect for the family!:

@CrispyEggs said in Perfect for the family!:

Great! I'm glad to know I can legally try to expose my mother to anime. What do you guys think would be a great show to introduce a newcomer to that doesn't have too much violence or sexuality? She says she'd like a drama but none of the ones in that section were really suited for her because she doesn't like sci-fi related shows. I'm thinking of a romance but I've never watched one of those before so I don't know which would be best for her.

@CrispyEggs Yu-Gi-Oh!

Just no

• @MRy27 said in Perfect for the family!:

@gohan6425 said in Perfect for the family!:

@CrispyEggs said in Perfect for the family!:

@CrispyEggs Yu-Gi-Oh!

Just no

@MRy27 Uh just yes...

• Not sure of a good Funimation drama without violence or fan service. I did get a good response in the same circumstances, introducing my mother to anime, from Your Lie in April on Netflix though. Sorry if this isn't an option, but in all fairness, Funimation does seem to seek out violence and fan service.

• @gohan6425 please stop trolling the op

• @MRy27 said in Perfect for the family!:

@gohan6425 please stop trolling the op

@MRy27 Uh not trolling I being dead serious bro!

• @korrailli Thanks for the suggestion, she already likes Sakura Quest. when shes done with that ill expand to one of your other suggestions ^_^

• From Funimation, I also recommend Snow White with the Red Hair. There's also Princess Jellyfish and Fruits Basket.

• @CrispyEggs said in Perfect for the family!:

@korrailli Thanks for the suggestion, she already likes Sakura Quest. when shes done with that ill expand to one of your other suggestions ^_^

There are some other PA Works shows that are of a similar theme. I don't think many are dubbed. Shiro Bako is about making anime, Hanasaku Iroha is about a girl who ends up working at her grandmothers hot spring (does have a few hot spring scenes, but nothing too bad), Tari Tari is a music club in a high school. I am pretty sure all 3 are on Crunchyroll.

She might like Barakamon as well.

• Anything by Hosads, so Wolf Children, The Girl who Leapt Through Time, Summer Wars, and Boy and the Beast. They aren't available for streaming (Though, Boy and the Beast is on Netflix), but a good watch if you have them.

Not without paying to rent a stream.

I'd recommend Spice and Wolf and Steins;Gate.

Erased is amazing too.

Maybe School Live.

But I most highly recommend Wolf Children and Erased though. Steins;Gate too if you can also watch the movie.

• Not sure about Steins;Gate because op said his/her mother doesn't like sci-fi, but a really good suggestion nonetheless if she can handle the genre.

I second for Spice and Wolf, Erased, ReLIFE and Orange, other than that I can't find anything else I've seen that is available on Funimation and doesn't have either fan service, violence or sci-fi...

Edit Forget about Welcome to the NHK.
    Well maybe Welcome to the NHK could be nice, but I'm not sure she could relate much to the main characters...

• @the_krock

Though Welcome to the NHK is a great show, it does contain sexuality. Man, it has been awhile since I have seen it. The first episode when he meets the girl and fantasizes about her in a nun outfit masturbating. and his neighbor friend the Otaku with all of the H-games and such.

Just saying, she may not like that, or she may. It is a pretty deep show, which makes it amazing.

@CrispyEggs

Castle Town Dandelion is a good one.

Shonen Maid is pretty good as well.

I would say, Assassination Classroom, because it is pretty a good show, but it does have SOME violence, and the one teacher.

Ai Yori Aioshi is pretty good, though it does have some suggestive moments, but not heavy into it.

I agree, Princess Jellyfish is a great suggestion and a great show as well.

But these are just IMO.

• I would at least avoid Welcome to the NHK. A good portion of the show is about the making of the girl game. Unless you plan on explaining this concept to your mother, it may be best to avoid the series altogether.

• @valyn76 @pleco_breeder You are right lol, I somehow forgot about that, I based my reply on the fact that Satou was struggling to become an autonomus adult but totally overlooked the methods he used to get to it.