Where a good place to take good acting class?

• Where a good place to take good acting class? Just wondering where you can go take good class for acting?

• That really depends on where you live. Most colleges and universities have acting courses, but they are to study acting and not so much for someone just starting out.
    Some theater companies may offer classes or be able to direct you to something local. Try looking up come companies and then contacting them and ask if they have any recommendations.
    You can also try googling "Acting Class" along with your city. Do look at reviews since not all places are as reputable as others and you don't want to get scammed out of your money.

• @korrailli said in Where a good place to take good acting class?:

That really depends on where you live. Most colleges and universities have acting courses, but they are to study acting and not so much for someone just starting out.
    Some theater companies may offer classes or be able to direct you to something local. Try looking up come companies and then contacting them and ask if they have any recommendations.
    You can also try googling "Acting Class" along with your city. Do look at reviews since not all places are as reputable as others and you don't want to get scammed out of your money.

@korrailli I already tried locally and I didn't really get anything good out of it for $70. When I googled something earlier I seen classes for like $500 for a beginner which I was like no way.

• @gohan6425 said in Where a good place to take good acting class?:

@korrailli I already tried locally and I didn't really get anything good out of it for $70. When I googled something earlier I seen classes for like $500 for a beginner which I was like no way.

Classes sure aren't cheap for any part of acting. There is a voice acting workshop here that is $150 for a few hours, but it's only 8 students and they get time in a recording booth.

@gohan6425 said in Where a good place to take good acting class?:

Classes sure aren't cheap for any part of acting. There is a voice acting workshop here that is $150 for a few hours, but it's only 8 students and they get time in a recording booth.

@korrailli Hmm that pretty good. How many weeks was it?

• @gohan6425 said in Where a good place to take good acting class?:

@korrailli said in Where a good place to take good acting class?:

It's a few hours and that's it. I can't remember the exact times, but I think it's around 3 hours.

@korrailli said in Where a good place to take good acting class?:

It's a few hours and that's it. I can't remember the exact times, but I think it's around 3 hours.

@korrailli Damn. That a lot. But I would love to go to voice acting session.

• A lot of actors started out in improv and theater, but you don't want to make a career out of it as you wouldn't make nearly as much money as a celebrity (they're the anomalies actually).

• I don't know about your local area, or your intended goal. However, there are books on the subject if you're just looking for introduction type stuff. Likewise, depending upon your area, you may be able to find a local community theater group to join. Even if you're not actively acting in a production, hanging out to help and getting pointers could give an introduction to the practice itself. Sadly, as you've probably already began noticing, one-on-one or group lessons are going to be an expensive proposition, and probably not going to be able to focus on the aspects you're interested in from the very beginning. Getting a basis via other means may be your best bet, and then pursuing more serious aspects as you've gotten an understanding of the basics may be your better option.

• Some theater companies may need help during a show. It's mostly behind the scenes stuff, but can be good experience and a way to get a foot in the door.
    If you can, go see some local theater. Some plays can be inexpensive to go, and some could be free. (There is some Shakespeare stuff going on here that is outdoors and pay-what-you-can). Seeing acting and plays does help you get an idea of different kinds of acting.

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sV7d-hO0s60

I personally like to think of this (the scene they play out) where sometimes acting is just winging it.

• Believe it or not you can find some good practice tutorials on YouTube. I'm currently following a few exercises for singing/vocal training... that's if you're poor like me. :)

• @JayHairston said in Where a good place to take good acting class?:

Believe it or not you can find some good practice tutorials on YouTube. I'm currently following a few exercises for singing/vocal training... that's if you're poor like me. :)

@JayHairston what YouTube videos you looking at. I currently look online classes. $35.00 seen to be the cheapest. https://takelessons.com/search?location[latitude]=42.974201202393&location[longitude]=-78.848098754883&location[zip_code]=14223&location[accuracy]=ip&session=1

I was looking at this Alexandra person. She video of her acting and she got review for voice actor.

• @gohan6425 I find random videos. I bounce around and try a little of everything, no idea if it's improving my singing. I'll ask the co-workers next time we go to Karaoke. :P

@gohan6425 I find random videos. I bounce around and try a little of everything, no idea if it's improving my singing. I'll ask the co-workers next time we go to Karaoke. :P

Not sure if you interact with any of the voice actors who do work for Funi, but you think you'd be able to scout out what they do or any advise they may be able to give? They'd be a particularly good resource for our lovely-and-yet-frustrating friend here.

Super helpful information would be what they did as opposed to the cliche spiel of "take theater in school" blah blah blah. Not everyone starts there and/or can go there. Ya get me?

• @darthrutsula40

If you haven't already check out this Answerman post from ANN, lots of useful information:

"How Do I Become A Voice Actor?"
    https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/answerman/2017-03-31/.113795

@darthrutsula40

If you haven't already check out this Answerman post from ANN, lots of useful information:

"How Do I Become A Voice Actor?"
    https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/answerman/2017-03-31/.113795

Believe me, while I could probably act, I am too insubordinate (it bothers some of those I do work for from time to time). Not that I advertise my being insubordinate, I internally say I'm fiercely independent.

I was asking because I know Gohan probably would want to know. Whether or not he'll read the answerman (and historically I don't recall him reading them) is up to him. I figured since you work indirectly with these dubs you'd be a good font of knowledge.

• There are actually a lot of easy (OK, I guess I don't mean easy) ways to become an actor/voice actor. One way is to learn from the wonderful site we all adore: YouTube. I am sure there are many videos containing exercises for you to do and plans to set yourself up in life. Another choice is to go to a local theater camp or acting camp (I'm actually doing one now). You might not think they help, but it may just be a small change. You could also (if you think you are good already) make a site using website-makers and create some sort of resume to publish or send to those dubbers or directors or whatever. That's all I got. My utmost apologies if this was no help.

• I had a friend who did some voice acting and she would try out voices on her dog.
    You don't need to do really 'cartoony' voices, but try going lower or higher than your normal voice. And just practice and keep doing it. If you don't try out voices and learn how to control your voice, you won't get better.

Even though you are just starting out, try to get in with a local studio. Chances are you won't be dubbing anime, but there is usually a decent amount of voice over work in some cities. If you can get an audition, it helps. Some places do open auditions for anyone interested, but it might only be once a year or as they need it. There might be an email you can use to contact them and maybe get some info on auditioning. An agent is really helpful in getting more specific auditions (like they are looking to cast for a show or project).

I had a friend who did some voice acting and she would try out voices on her dog.
    You don't need to do really 'cartoony' voices, but try going lower or higher than your normal voice. And just practice and keep doing it. If you don't try out voices and learn how to control your voice, you won't get better.

Even though you are just starting out, try to get in with a local studio. Chances are you won't be dubbing anime, but there is usually a decent amount of voice over work in some cities. If you can get an audition, it helps. Some places do open auditions for anyone interested, but it might only be once a year or as they need it. There might be an email you can use to contact them and maybe get some info on auditioning. An agent is really helpful in getting more specific auditions (like they are looking to cast for a show or project).

@korrailli I going to be getting a good mic soon. Thank YouTube Money... :) That Yait mic, but it going be more then that. But I think I be able to better things with that mic. Well I live in NY maybe NY City has something? I mean that still do Yu-Gi-Oh...