2017 MEN of MANLINESS - Round 2: Group 16

• Isaac Dian - Baccano!
    Sinbad - Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic
    Izuku Midoriya - My Hero Academia
    Shoto Todoroki - My Hero Academia

Please choose which two of the four characters listed that you wish to see continue on in this tournament. Voting will stay open until 10 PM CST the following day.

Please post your vote, as well as the current score, after taking your vote into account. Be sure to clearly note who you are voting for by making a comment or by highlighting your vote in the score tally. You may only vote ONCE, and once you post you cannot change your vote. And DON'T try to cheat; I'll be watching.

• Isaac Dian - 0
    Sinbad - 0
    Izuku Midoriya - 1
    Shoto Todoroki - 1

• Isaac Dian - 1
    Sinbad - 1
    Izuku Midoriya - 1
    Shoto Todoroki - 1

They are all so good...

• Umm, excuse me Spaceman. What the heck. What is this round. I think it made me short circuit, how the heck am I supposed to choose here so early...?

Just sat here and stared at my screen for a solid couple minutes, and I am pretty sure my vote is mainly going to these two cause I just marathoned most of season 2 and their awesomeness is so fresh in my mind.

Isaac Dian - 1
    Sinbad - 1
    Izuku Midoriya - 2
    Shoto Todoroki - 2

alt text

• God dammit the hell is this round?

Isaac Dian - 1
    Sinbad - 1
    Izuku Midoriya - 3
    Shoto Todoroki - 3

I honestly spent the past like 10 minutes going back and forth on whether I was gonna offer up my vote to Shoto or Isaac and believe me when I say this was HONESTLY not an easy choice at all. Like to be honest, I'd be okay if either Isaac Dian or Shoto Todoroki made it through, but....there's someone who truly deserves to move on.

As for Izuku, well lemme tell you WHY you should vote for Izuku "Deku" Midoriya!

Strap in folks, this is gonna be a long one.

alt text

Izuku is one of the best written and developed Shonen anime heroes I have ever seen. He also to me is a perfect balance of what anyone can enjoy in a character who is a protagonist. He isn’t strong and overpowered but he is neither weak nor helpless. He is cute and precious but also tough and confident in himself. He is emotional yet also willing to put himself on the line, do the right thing. He does not rush recklessly into fights, yet he is willing to rush in and do the right thing when no one else would. He is smart, calculating, and his abilities naturally progress and develop along with his character and his development throughout the series. He is the greatest underdog story I think I have ever seen written, and he is a character that every time I see him work hard and succeed, it makes me smile and feel like I too can accomplish my goals.

To me, Izuku is a fascinating example of how to do a “self insertion” type character while still making him his own unique brand of character. There’s a lot of ways to interpret Izuku. He is a quirkless, powerless boy in a world full of super powered beings and he is the strange, isolated outcast in this world of powers as he has none. There are many ways to interpret this. Assuming Izuku could be a metaphor for people with disabilities, like Autism (an interpretation I feel is supported by his fits of rambling and his very obsessive nature when it comes to pursuing his goals). The idea that he is seen as an imperfect, lost cause in society when he is a kid with just as many dreams and aspirations as anyone else. That is just one of the many interpretations you can make for Izuku as a character. You can make your own interpretation as a character, and by all means that is what makes him work. He is a underdog, down in his luck, that almost anyone can identify and root for because he is so driven and determined that watching his journey to succeed is self gratifying to almost anyone who identifies with him.

He’s also extremely amusing in his own personality traits too. He’s a giant superhero fanboy that takes constant notes on heroes and their abilities and techniques, with the intention to learn and adapt his own techniques. He’s a good kid who had a rough time adapting, but with the opportunity to shine from the mentor of his hero All Might, he works hard, harder than almost anyone else has to. In order to gain power, he had to earn and prove it. So already, even though he gets what is a “power boost” by any means, you see the trial and hardships he must face. You see how unlike SO MANY OTHERS who just happen to win through power ups, or the famous “power of friendship” you see him work hard to earn the right to gain this power. And even then he is not suddenly a master. He breaks himself, hurts himself, and practically crushes himself to learn how to control his powers. So when he DOES manage to succeed in mastering his powers, and controlling it to its true potential, I won’t be mad or call it Overpowered, I will be hyped because I KNOW how he had to get to this point, and seeing him succeed is so satisfying.

He risks his life to save others, a true heroic feat that not many others seem willing to do even when they have the power. He is selfless, kind, strong-willed, hardworking and quite intelligent, thoughtful, and overall kind of a badass when he really needs to be. I think the scene that truly sold me on Izuku as a character, outside of the moment where he rushes in to save Bakugo from the Sludge Monster, was where, after 10 months of intensive, rigorous, and almost destructive personal training under All Might, he manages to finish at the last possible minute, cleaning everything up in its entirety, and then, shirtless, sweaty, and very tired, stands atop a tower of trash, screaming at the coming sunset.

0_1500435151681_Deku epic.gif

That was probably one of the absolute coolest moments of Izuku showing the first true steps to becoming a strong, admirable, and truly heroic figure, for almost every single one of us to want to root for. And seeing him succeed, to me at least, is one of the most inspiring and impressive things I have ever seen conveyed in a Shonen Jump manga series.

And that is why, Izuku “Deku” Midoriya, bar none, is my favorite male protagonist in an Anime or Manga Series. He goes, above, and beyond.

Plus. Ultra.

alt text

• Isaac Dian - 2
    Sinbad - 1
    Izuku Midoriya - 4
    Shoto Todoroki - 3

....Todoroki's overrated. -_-

• Isaac Dian - 2
    Sinbad - 1
    Izuku Midoriya - 5
    Shoto Todoroki - 4

• Isaac Dian -3
    Sinbad - 1
    Izuku Midoriya - 6
    Shoto Todoroki - 4

• Isaac Dian -3
    Sinbad - 1
    Izuku Midoriya - 7
    Shoto Todoroki - 4

Todoroki is way too indecisive about who he is

• Isaac Dian -3
    Sinbad - 1
    Izuku Midoriya - 8
    Shoto Todoroki - 5

• @pleco_breeder said in 2017 MEN of MANLINESS - Round 2: Group 16:

Todoroki is way too indecisive about who he is

I feel the need to address this a little.

SPOILERS FOR MY HERO ACADEMIA SEASON 2 WARNING

alt text

I don't think indecisive is the right word. He KNOWS what he wants to be, he wants to be someone who inspires good in the world. He wants to be a hero, much like Izuku. The problem is, he's made to feel like some kind of monster just because he was born a certain way. He had the snot beat out of him by his dad as a kid to toughen him up, and the single real support system he had, the person he loved and wanted to protect him most in the world, disfigured him and made him feel like he couldn't accept part of himself because it was ugly.

His mother can barely stand to look at him and his father sees him as a tool, something to be used to defeat his rival, to be bent to his will. Knowing that his abilities were the product of his Father trapping his mother in a loveless marriage. The fact that none of this is his fault is irrelevant, the blame he feels, the guilt that gnaws away at him and makes it so he can't even use half his ability is something I think is natural to feel. After all this guy wants to help people, but how can he really become comfortable with himself and accomplish that when those very protective instincts are always nagging at him, telling him that his very existence is why the person he loves most is miserable?

I think anything other then conflicted feelings would be unrealistic.

alt text

The guy is a teenager, a time in your life when you're generally unsure of yourself anyways, and that's without all this added pressure. He's an incredible student with incredible abilities, and he has to accept that those powers are because of his Father's deplorable actions, and anything he accomplishes will not be seen as his power alone, but an extension of the Father who is constantly trying to use him for his own means.

He needs someone like Izuku in his life that can give him a kick in the butt and tell him it's ok to accept himself, none of what has happened was his fault. It doesn't appear like he's had that, and the one support system he had betrayed him completely. Despite this, he does begin to accept himself through his fight with Izuku, and you can tell he's a character who is going to wind up coming out on top through this. He is still someone who, despite it all, has the strong desire to help and save others. Just like Izuku, he's the kind of character who looks up to someone like All Might. And through the Tournament Arc, he begins to look up to Izuku as well.

Anyways, that's my two cents. I'm expecting big things from this guy!

• @emdier Don't know how far I'm going to have to go into this, so I'm duplicating the spoiler warning

You mention the tournament arc and the fight with Midoria. At that point, I thought he may have grown up and accepted who he is. However, as soon as that fight was over, in the very next round, he went back to being conflicted. This is the exact indecisiveness that I was talking about. If he were to REALLY develop a sense of self, and realize that he had nothing to do with his father, and truly develop his abilities, taken into conjunction with his sense of right and wrong, as well as his drive, he could be great and he has shown that. However, he's just not there. He's too torn about his family past to be able to really apply himself. If he ever accepts both his parts, great things will be possible, but he only managed to learn this lesson just long enough to smear Midoria, and then allowed his father to get back under his skin before he ever left the arena.

• Isaac Dian -3
    Sinbad - 1
    Izuku Midoriya - 9
    Shoto Todoroki - 6

• @pleco_breeder I feel it would have been more unrealistic to have all those years of confliction and trauma be overturned in a single fight. This isn't something that he's going to overcome in a single day, especially with his Father constantly pressing him and attempting to control him. Even all the groups that wanted him after the tournament mainly wanted him because of his Father, he acknowledges that (Although I do think he is selling himself very short, as he did have an impressive performance.

I do think we're moving in that direction though, considering where we saw him last.

• @emdier I agree that it would be unrealistic for the story to have made such a drastic jump, and also agree that he has all the potential. However, the story hasn't progressed far enough to say that he will ever evolve past those issues. Midoria lost without question, but never gave up. Even though he has more obvious limitations, he was able to force Todoroki to give everything in order to win. For a brief moment, Todoroki "acted" like a man. Maybe if he had evolved a couple of weeks faster, he'd have grown up in time to be considered a competitor for the 2017 Men of Manliness tournament, but we won't know that till after the break.

• Isaac Dian - 4
    Sinbad - 1
    Izuku Midoriya - 10
    Shoto Todoroki - 6

alt text

I really like Isaac as a character. On the surface, both Isaac and Miria are completely goofy characters whose logic leaves something to be desired. However, they always do the right thing, and help out their friends when they're in trouble. Even when up against the mafia, they show no fear, and take bold, if somewhat ridiculous, actions to help out in any way they can, often putting their own lives on the line.

alt text

• Isaac Dian - 4
    Sinbad - 1
    Izuku Midoriya - 11
    Shoto Todoroki - 7