How much should you save up to go to a good con like one of though big one?

• Don't have a car I would have to take a travel bus. But how much you think it would cost to do one of the big cons. It does not seen NY you get any need where I live.

• Anime Expo 2018 is the daddy of em' all!

THE BIG KAHUNA!

Rough estimate:

Roundtrip flight to LA ($350)
    Hotel for 3+Days ($300)
    Transportation & Food ($150)
    Merch & Events: ($100)

Total - $900.00

That could way over or way under depending on budgeting/luck.

Or you could go to New York Comic Con and save a boat load. It's big enough :)

• Afest was 300 for plane, 60 for ticket and hotel was around 1200 because I'm staying for almost a week. However I'm splitting hotel with friends.

Just depends what you want and how long you're going.

• @JayHairston said in How much should you save up to go to a good con like one of though big one?:

Anime Expo 2018 is the daddy of em' all!

THE BIG KAHUNA!

Rough estimate:

Roundtrip flight to LA ($350)
    Hotel for 3+Days ($300)
    Transportation & Food ($150)
    Merch & Events: ($100)

Total - $900.00

That could way over or way under depending on budgeting/luck.

Or you could go to New York Comic Con and save a boat load. It's big enough :)

@JayHairston I don't take airplane. And never will after 9/11. I really wanted to mean Sean (Voice of Goku) and he never seen to come to the cons I near Veronica Taylor came but I had to take travel bus to go there for the one day.

• As it seems you are traveling, that is going to be a big part of your budget. You need to pay for the bus (or other travel, you might find a ride up with someone else going to the con too), hotel (share a room if you can), and some other travel costs. Travel alone is probably going to be a couple hundred dollars at least, and can be a lot more depending on where you stay and how far you have to go.
    Food is going to be another big expense. I would suggest taking what you can (like stuff to make sandwiches, and maybe some breakfast foods, and drinks), and limiting what you have to buy there. Some cons are more open about taking your own foods, while others are more restrictive. I usually have a good breakfast, bring lunch and snacks, then buy dinner if I have to. I usually try to stay under $10 per day for buying food, but that's pretty cheap when it comes to cons.
    You do need to have a ticket for the con. Weekend passes bought early are the best price. So if you know you want to go, but your ticket as soon as you can. Some cons do sell out, so don't leave the ticket to the last minute. VIP passes do cost more (around twice the normal weekend pass rate), but offer perks that might make it worth the extra cost. These do sell out, and usually quickly.
    Autographs can vary. The anime cons around here don't have guests charge for autographs, but they can charge for prints (if you don't have something to get signed, so just want a headshot kind of print). Some cons do allow guests to charge, so you will have to check that out. Bigger Comic Cons do tend to charge, and it can be a lot depending on the guest. Prints are usually $10-30 depending on size.
    Anything else you want to buy can inflate your budget a lot. You don't have to buy merch or art, but you can if you want. Since you don't really know what you might find, I would take at least $100 just in case, but more if you think there will be stuff you want.
    Some cons do have extra paid events. These can be concerts or after hours events.

So in short:
    Travel: Cost of travel + hotel. $300+
    Food: $20 per day + snacks
    Ticket: Varies, but buy early, $50
    Autographs: Free-$30 per guest
    Merch: $100

So if you don't spend a lot, can share travel and hotel costs, and bring some food, you could attend a con for around $500 if you have to travel to it.
    I went to a comic con a few months ago that was 4 days. I spend about $250 including ticket (ticket was $130), and that is a con in my city, so no need for hotel or much travel costs. And Anime con I went to last year was $40 for the ticket, I spend some on guest prints and a bit on food, so maybe $100 total over 3 days. Again, local con, so no real travel involved.

Some Conventions are already planning for next year. If you missed the ones this year, or just can't arrange it in short time, start looking and next year. Save up a little at a time. Even $50 a month adds up fast, but more can be helpful. Buy tickets early. If you have to fly or take the bus, look for ticket sales as that can save money. Many cons do have a FB group, or maybe some other social media groups that you can join. It could help to get a ride (contribute to gas costs), or people to share a hotel room with. I find planning it out as much as you can really helps and makes it a lot easier.

• @Queenira said in How much should you save up to go to a good con like one of though big one?:

Afest was 300 for plane, 60 for ticket and hotel was around 1200 because I'm staying for almost a week. However I'm splitting hotel with friends.

Just depends what you want and how long you're going.

@Queenira Yeah I don't airplanes. I would take a travel bus which is creaper anyways. When I told one for the con Veronica Taylor when to which was 2 hours away from where i live it was around $20.00 and then $15.00 for the taxi when I got there. Though I had to paid like $25.00 for another taxi to get to the greyhound my brother pick up when I got back town that day so I save $25.00 on that. But I paid $20.00 each to get there and back and then 2 $15.00 taxi trip one to get to the con and the other leave the con. So it was like a $100.00 just for a 1 day trip.

• @korrailli said in How much should you save up to go to a good con like one of though big one?:

As it seems you are traveling, that is going to be a big part of your budget. You need to pay for the bus (or other travel, you might find a ride up with someone else going to the con too), hotel (share a room if you can), and some other travel costs. Travel alone is probably going to be a couple hundred dollars at least, and can be a lot more depending on where you stay and how far you have to go.
    Food is going to be another big expense. I would suggest taking what you can (like stuff to make sandwiches, and maybe some breakfast foods, and drinks), and limiting what you have to buy there. Some cons are more open about taking your own foods, while others are more restrictive. I usually have a good breakfast, bring lunch and snacks, then buy dinner if I have to. I usually try to stay under $10 per day for buying food, but that's pretty cheap when it comes to cons.
    You do need to have a ticket for the con. Weekend passes bought early are the best price. So if you know you want to go, but your ticket as soon as you can. Some cons do sell out, so don't leave the ticket to the last minute. VIP passes do cost more (around twice the normal weekend pass rate), but offer perks that might make it worth the extra cost. These do sell out, and usually quickly.
    Autographs can vary. The anime cons around here don't have guests charge for autographs, but they can charge for prints (if you don't have something to get signed, so just want a headshot kind of print). Some cons do allow guests to charge, so you will have to check that out. Bigger Comic Cons do tend to charge, and it can be a lot depending on the guest. Prints are usually $10-30 depending on size.
    Anything else you want to buy can inflate your budget a lot. You don't have to buy merch or art, but you can if you want. Since you don't really know what you might find, I would take at least $100 just in case, but more if you think there will be stuff you want.
    Some cons do have extra paid events. These can be concerts or after hours events.

So in short:
    Travel: Cost of travel + hotel. $300+
    Food: $20 per day + snacks
    Ticket: Varies, but buy early, $50
    Autographs: Free-$30 per guest
    Merch: $100

So if you don't spend a lot, can share travel and hotel costs, and bring some food, you could attend a con for around $500 if you have to travel to it.
    I went to a comic con a few months ago that was 4 days. I spend about $250 including ticket (ticket was $130), and that is a con in my city, so no need for hotel or much travel costs. And Anime con I went to last year was $40 for the ticket, I spend some on guest prints and a bit on food, so maybe $100 total over 3 days. Again, local con, so no real travel involved.

Some Conventions are already planning for next year. If you missed the ones this year, or just can't arrange it in short time, start looking and next year. Save up a little at a time. Even $50 a month adds up fast, but more can be helpful. Buy tickets early. If you have to fly or take the bus, look for ticket sales as that can save money. Many cons do have a FB group, or maybe some other social media groups that you can join. It could help to get a ride (contribute to gas costs), or people to share a hotel room with. I find planning it out as much as you can really helps and makes it a lot easier.

@korrailli The thing is I wanted to go to a con where I can meet the guest I wanted to meet which sometime that don't tell until much later.

• @gohan6425 Sometimes you gotta fly. It sucks. I'm deathly afraid of flying but I take my meds, try to sleep and hug something.

I follow the rule of if the flight attendant isn't panicking or is up, then I am fine. I fly to NY and Boston every year now so I'm getting use to it.

• @gohan6425 said in How much should you save up to go to a good con like one of though big one?:

@korrailli The thing is I wanted to go to a con where I can meet the guest I wanted to meet which sometime that don't tell until much later.

That does make it harder. Most cons do at least finish announcing guests a few weeks before the con, so you have some time to arrange things. Big guests sometimes get announced earlier to build the hype. Just watch social media and hope someone you like is announced. It can be hard if they are going to a con further away. I have been lucky the the VA's I like have been to the con that is near me.

• @korrailli said in How much should you save up to go to a good con like one of though big one?:

@gohan6425 said in How much should you save up to go to a good con like one of though big one?:

That does make it harder. Most cons do at least finish announcing guests a few weeks before the con, so you have some time to arrange things. Big guests sometimes get announced earlier to build the hype. Just watch social media and hope someone you like is announced. It can be hard if they are going to a con further away. I have been lucky the the VA's I like have been to the con that is near me.

@korrailli Yeah I REALLY wanted to meet Sean baddly. Got lucky to meet Veronica but still have not met Sean...

• @korrailli Like the New York Comic Con @JayHairston talk about there is NO one there I really wanted to met. Or aless basic on the listing that have so far. So there no point in me going to that con if there going to not have anyone I really wanted to met. I go to the cons MAINLY to met the voice actors.

• Otakon is in Baltimore and tends to get TeamFourStar plus some notable names in dub-acting (like Stephanie Sheh and Michelle Ruff). Its like a 10ish hour bus ride from Buffalo.

I would expect to bring a decent sized wallet for merch though. When I went to Celebration VI I was grossly under-prepared. I only came back with a CVI shirt and Sith bathrobe (its really cool because it has a hood and the Sith-Imperial insignia).

• I guess you could try googling to see if the VA's you want to see are coming to a con you can attend. Some VA's have websites that list appearances, but there could be other sites that have a list as well. Maybe try to make a search more specific, something like "Actor's Name Convention New York". It is hard when you only have a few actors you want to see.
    I just have a couple cons I can easily attend, so I hope they have someone I want to see. I have been pretty lucky, but don't go (at least to the anime con) if there isn't a guest I really like or know.

I guess you could try googling to see if the VA's you want to see are coming to a con you can attend. Some VA's have websites that list appearances, but there could be other sites that have a list as well. Maybe try to make a search more specific, something like "Actor's Name Convention New York". It is hard when you only have a few actors you want to see.
    I just have a couple cons I can easily attend, so I hope they have someone I want to see. I have been pretty lucky, but don't go (at least to the anime con) if there isn't a guest I really like or know.

@korrailli I mean there other voice actors I wanted to meet but there is a list of voice actors I REALLY WANTED TO meet. I look at Conventions in New York and that don't seen to have anyone good coming.

@darthrutsula40 That a good cast but not Sean. Also that in DC not Baltimore.

• That a good cast but not Sean. Also that in DC not Baltimore.

Look I just googled it and I saw Baltimore, how was I supposed to know that they moved it to DC starting THIS YEAR.

Its still an all day trip.

• @darthrutsula40 said in How much should you save up to go to a good con like one of though big one?:

That a good cast but not Sean. Also that in DC not Baltimore.

Look I just googled it and I saw Baltimore, how was I supposed to know that they moved it to DC starting THIS YEAR.

Its still an all day trip.

@darthrutsula40 DC way too far away.

• @gohan6425 one additional hour from a 10 hour long bus-ride (going from Buffalo to Baltimore) makes it too far away (going from Buffalo to DC)? You're still spending half a day on a bus. I spent like 14 hours going from Charlotte to NYC by train, freezing my ass off on the way back.

Why not go to Fan World that's taking place at Niagra Falls next week? How about AniBash in Rochester? PopCult Anime in Framingham, MA? FanExpo in Toronto? All of these happen within the next 30-45 days.

• @darthrutsula40 said in How much should you save up to go to a good con like one of though big one?:

@gohan6425 one additional hour from a 10 hour long bus-ride (going from Buffalo to Baltimore) makes it too far away (going from Buffalo to DC)? You're still spending half a day on a bus. I spent like 14 hours going from Charlotte to NYC by train, freezing my ass off on the way back.

Why not go to Fan World that's taking place at Niagra Falls next week? How about AniBash in Rochester? PopCult Anime in Framingham, MA? FanExpo in Toronto? All of these happen within the next 30-45 days.

@darthrutsula40 Uh? I am going to Fan World bro... -_- I when there last year don't you remember? I met Chuck and Vic, Dante Basco, and Cricket Leigh. Though not many of the voice actor I wanted to meet are going to it this year I think that had a better voice cast last year then this year. There only going have like 3 this year. DIC Dub Sailor Moon Voice Actors Molly and Melvin as there Theme Love Reunian like that did with Zuko and Mai last year. And the voice actor for Nashu. Also what does AniBash voice actor have? FanExpo in Toronto is out of the country and though I have enhanced license to go to Canada I rather not b/c it a different country and I not used to kilometers in there. PopCult Anime in Framingham where is that and what the voice actor that are there?

@darthrutsula40 PopCult and AniBash don't even have voice actors listed... -_-

• @gohan6425 said in How much should you save up to go to a good con like one of though big one?:

Uh? I am going to Fan World bro... -_- I when there last year don't you remember?

This may surprise you Gohan, but we have lives and other priorities outside of remembering what you do and which cons you attend. Shocking I know.

@gohan6425 said in How much should you save up to go to a good con like one of though big one?:

Cricket Leigh

I loved her perforamce as Cricuna Yuuki, Lucy Crickfelia, and my new personal favorite Makoto Crickjima.

(You think if crickets did acting a quiet room is basically just a standard ovation?)

• @classyspartan said in How much should you save up to go to a good con like one of though big one?:

Uh? I am going to Fan World bro... -_- I when there last year don't you remember?

This may surprise you Gohan, but we have lives and other priorities outside of remembering what you do and which cons you attend. Shocking I know.

Cricket Leigh

I loved her perforamce as Cricuna Yuuki, Lucy Crickfelia, and my new personal favorite Makoto Crickjima.

(You think if crickets did acting a quiet room is basically just a standard ovation?)

@classyspartan I don't know who though roles are? But she was great as Mai from Avatar she was very nice to me last year. I post the Q and A panel she did with Dante on this forum like a year ago when I upload it to my YouTube channel...

@classyspartan said in How much should you save up to go to a good con like one of though big one?:

Cricket Leigh

@classyspartan I don't know who though roles are? But she was great as Mai from Avatar she was very nice to me last year. I post the Q and A panel she did with Dante on this forum like a year ago when I upload it to my YouTube channel...

Wait hang on.

You're talking about Grey DeLisle?

Okay Gohan I know it's not really my place to harp on your spelling at this point but........

How did Grey DeLisle........become Cricket Leigh?

Like I assumed Cricket in your mind translated to Cherami Leigh, the voice of Asuna and Lucy Heartfilia.

I......I actually am struggling to see how you made that connection....

alt text