2017 MEN of MANLINESS - Round 1: Group 51

• Leomon - Digimon
    Killua Zoldyck - Hunter x Hunter
    Nagisa Shiota - Assassination Classroom
    Porco Rosso - Porco Rosso

Please choose which two of the four characters listed that you wish to see continue on in this tournament. Voting will stay open until 10 PM CST the following day.

Please post your vote, as well as the current score, after taking your vote into account. Be sure to clearly note who you are voting for by making a comment or by highlighting your vote in the score tally. You may only vote ONCE, and once you post you cannot change your vote. And DON'T try to cheat; I'll be watching.

• Leomon - 0
    Killua Zoldyck - 1
    Nagisa Shiota -1
    Porco Rosso - 0

• Oh man, TWO of my defense posts together!

Leomon - 0
    Killua Zoldyck - 2
    Nagisa Shiota -2

Porco Rosso - 0

KILLUA

I know Killua is not a character that many people would consider right away, especially since he doesn't "look the part" right away, but hear me out.
    BEWARE: HxH Spoilers Below
    alt text
    For someone who, at the start, seems so cold (See his "I want to kill my family for their bounty" scene), Killua is actually one of the most emotional characters of the series. He considers friendship to be one of the most important things in his life, and later his relationship with Alluka.
    Killua learns and grows a lot through the series, his experiences with Gon helping him grow, particularly through the Chimera Ant arc. One of the best examples of that comes from his relationships with Ikalgo. They start off on a very bad foot, with Ikalgo trying very hard, and nearly succeeding, in killing off Killua. And yet, right after he nearly succeeds, the tables turn and Killua chooses to spare our adorable little octopus's life. This leads to Ikalgo turning traitor amd Killua immediately accepts this friendship, showing just how much he has matured.
    alt text
    Killua also had a problem when it came to facing opponents stronger then himself. He was so conditioned to be afraid, to run if there was even the slightest chance of him losing in a fight, that he seemed to be completely unable to fight this impulse when it arose. We, the viewers and Killua himself, don't realize at first that this is due to his brother's nen needle implanted in his forehead. When the moment comes where Killua discovers this, as he is facing off against a very strong opponent, Killua manages to control his fear and literally burrows his fingers in to his forehead to pull out the needle, all out of desperation to save his friend.
    And when said enemy tells him he'll go after Gon regardless, he literally decapitates the guy and crushes his head. This guy truly had it coming, he was a Grade A jerk, so it was a "cheer at the screen" kind of moment.
    alt text
    When it comes to Alluka, Killua will truly stop at nothing to protect them, even if it means turning against his entire family to do it. And his family is one scary group of people. He makes enemies of all of them, just to get his sibling out of a jail cell and help them experience the world. While it is true he originally freed them to help Gon, there is no doubt that Killua is set on helping Alluka and Nanika as well.
    Let us not forget just how powerful this kid is, especially for his age. He can turn his nen in to electricity due to the torture training he endured as a child, something that not many people can do.
    Truly, when to comes to defending those he cares for, he completely throws his own well being completely out the window and does what it takes, no matter the cost.
    alt text

NAGISA
    Ahh, Nagisa, not a character you tend to look at and at first glance thing "This guy. Now this guy is manly."
    alt text
    But man, oh man, does that opinion change.
    alt text
    Nagisa takes advantage of his non masculine and seemingly innocent appearance, and adapts it to methods of assassination. He is able to think on his feet, adapt to situations and does so in very intelligent and calculating ways. He is truly allowed to shine particularly through the second half of the series when the class is split on how to handle the Korosensei situation.
    He is able to use something that no one, not even the readers, thought of and is able to land the biggest and most impactful blows because of it.
    alt text
    His devotion to saving Korosensei, because of all the teacher has done for them, and his willingness to do whatever it takes, even fighting against someone whom is an extremely close friend of his and someone who is considered to be a much stronger fighter then himself. is what truly made me root for his character. I found the ending of the series and how he ended up to be a perfect place for him to develop to, and he truly took Korosensei's teachings to heart.

• Leomon - 0
    Killua Zoldyck - 3
    Nagisa Shiota - 3
    Porco Rosso - 0

• Leomon - 1
    Killua Zoldyck - 3
    Nagisa Shiota - 3
    Porco Rosso - 1

• Leomon - 1
    Killua Zoldyck - 4
    Nagisa Shiota - 4
    Porco Rosso - 1