Anime Ratings and Personalized/Community Rank List

• I noticed that personal ratings I give anime just contribute to the anime's community average and then go away after I refresh the page. I think it is nice to see the average rating people give an anime in order to discover new shows, but once I give it a certain number of stars, I would rather see that rating on my profile from then on instead of the community average. I also think it would be useful to have the stars change colors as soon as you give it a personal rating so we can pick out the shows we rated ourselves.

In addition, I think it would be cool to have an adjustable personalized list on your profile that initially ranks anime based on the number of stars you've given it. Maybe this system can further be turned into a section under the shows tab similiar to the popular one where every single show on funimation is given a rank based on information obtained from every users personlized list. Basically allow us to create our own personilzed rank list for anime and then use that info to create a community rank list.

• @AndroidRoberts Sounds like you're describing MAL, just built into Funimation.

• Yeah I've heard of MyAnimeList before, but never really checked it out until your post. I guess it does take care of pretty much everything I just described. It would be more convenient to have something similiar built into funimation, but I guess Ill use MAL for the time being unless something changes. Maybe in the future Funimation will implement a comparable system or even create a partnership with MAL itself.

• Personally, I like Anime-Planet more than MAL. Everything just looks so much nicer and cleaner, and the community isn't full of awful people like over on MAL.

• @SpacemanHardy I prefer Anime Planet visually and typically ignore MAL's community but I really like how MAL makes it easy to check who voiced a character and who else they voiced. It really helps for "that voice is super familiar but from where?" moments.

I also don't like how Anime Planet won't let you mark episodes until they've aired and don't seem to have it automatically enable. If I watch an episode right when it airs sometimes I don't get the option to mark it because AP still says "EPS 1".

• @SpacemanHardy I noticed MAL seems to have lots of snobbish people in their community, and only I agree with the prevailing opinions maybe 50% of the time. That and the untranslated titles... I'll check out anime planet now.

• @AndroidRoberts said in Anime Ratings and Personalized/Community Rank List:

I noticed that personal ratings I give anime just contribute to the anime's community average and then go away after I refresh the page. I think it is nice to see the average rating people give an anime in order to discover new shows, but once I give it a certain number of stars, I would rather see that rating on my profile from then on instead of the community average. I also think it would be useful to have the stars change colors as soon as you give it a personal rating so we can pick out the shows we rated ourselves.

This is already implemented on some of the devices, but not everywhere yet - yellow is average rating and you have not rated, red is your rating. However, we haven't implemented displaying the user rating on Show list pages. It's only on Show Detail. Would it be useful to also see the red stars on the Shows browse screen?

• @Sophie I think it would be useful to also see the red stars on the Shows browse screen because that's where I actually rate the anime most of the time. It's kind of confusing that I can interact with those stars to give the show a rating just to have the rating revert to the average once I go back to the page. This is just an idea, but maybe there can be two sets of stars on the shows browse screen. One is interactive that allows you to rate the show yourself while the other set of stars stays fixed showing the average community rating for the series. I use this site on my computer and have never seen a set of red stars, so maybe it isnt implemented through the main site yet or I don't know exactly where to look.